Border face-off: China and India each deploy 3,000 troops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

Put it this way. Where is China going to attack. 3 places. India, Taiwan, SCS

If China picks one and people do nothing then China will go after the others as well. Why not. Hitler did the same too.

That is the logic that will make the quad more substantive.
    We should see the three as an integrated theatre and not separate theatres.

What happens in one affects the others and there will be counter moves

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
      And don't sweat the small stuff, ie rocks. The Chinese were prepared to give 100 miles to the Soviets.
      Understood. But, how to gain strategic edge, whatever is left (Tibet, Aksai Chin, Shaksgam valley lost), later? Should be assume that the CPC will not rule China after 20 years, and subsequently India will rise? Can these decisions be taken on assumptions? We're just defending our borders, haven't started a war.
      Last edited by Oracle; 29 Oct 20,, 05:21.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• ‘MAXIMUM PRESSURE BROUGHT DOWN THE SOVIET UNION’ AND OTHER LIES WE TELL OURSELVES

There is a lesson in this article for US policy makers on how not to deal with China. No other suitable thread, so posting it here.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          ‘MAXIMUM PRESSURE BROUGHT DOWN THE SOVIET UNION’ AND OTHER LIES WE TELL OURSELVES

There is a lesson in this article for US policy makers on how not to deal with China. No other suitable thread, so posting it here.
          There's two points made in that article. That the US never had a policy to force the Soviets into an arms race they could not keep pace with. I don't know, the rhetoric of the time ie star wars pushed this narrative quite prominently. What sank the Soviets was they went bankrupt. That would be the result of a number of factors. If the author accepts that the war in Afghanistan accelerated their decline why does he then deny that US pressure did not have any role ?

Second, he thinks Trump's China policy is a failure. So he's a detractor of that policy. For this listen to Pompeo's speech. The Soviets did not trade much with the west so there was no way to apply direct economic pressure on them. But who's to say that cannot be done with China. China is an exports driven economy. if the democracies reduce their trade with China it will obviously cause internal pressures that will build and at some point will force the CCP to address the situation. This the author paints as hope. What do you think ?

Comment

If India doesn't have the fortitude to win an arms race with China (far, far, far cheaper than an actual war), this talk of strikes are nothing more than feel good propganda. It certainly is not scaring the Chinese.
            How do you win an arms race with China by not keeping up with the Wongs ?

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
            And don't sweat the small stuff, ie rocks. The Chinese were prepared to give 100 miles to the Soviets.
            Will work in a country where the govt has total control of information. People there don't even know how many people die of whatever govt screwup until few decades later.

Won't work in a free country where the opposition will cry bloody treason. They already did at the start claiming India lost territory which was an absolute lie. What India lost was the right to patrol disputed territory that lay between the claim lines of both countries.

I think there is a line in the constitution that states no govt official may part with territory. So allowing loss of territory is a non starter. This is why we continue to claim lands lost during past wars. The govt is compelled to show they are doing something or at least saying so to the effect.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 29 Oct 20,, 12:46.

Comment

• Not wearing masks so older than their posted date I think

Not much of a clash here, just a good hard stare

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 8.39.41 AM.png
Views:	85
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	1567456

Sources

Comment

• Looks like the US wants to fight China down to the last Indian.
                  Chimo

Comment

Looks like the US wants to fight China down to the last Indian.
                    I wanted to say that, but kept it for you.

But, this is not happening.

In the meantime, India will get arms-rich.

Comment

Not wearing masks so older than their posted date I think
                      Not much of a clash here, just a good hard stare
                      When i visit my village (about 10-11,000 feet), for 2 days, my skin is as red as it can get.... these guys must have very good sunscreen creams....

Comment

• Originally posted by kuku View Post
                        When i visit my village (about 10-11,000 feet), for 2 days, my skin is as red as it can get.... these guys must have very good sunscreen creams....
                        Where is your village ?

Comment

How do you win an arms race with China by not keeping up with the Wongs ?
                          You don't. You have to outspend the Wongs and overly so.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          Will work in a country where the govt has total control of information. People there don't even know how many people die of whatever govt screwup until few decades later.
                          That's a myth. You can't hide that many funerals. Chinese families absolutely know that their sons/fathers/brothers ain't coming home. What the Chinese did, however, was information management. The People's War and the follow up The People's War under Modern Conditions. This essentially explained to the populace why they're surrendering the border areas to the Soviets.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          Won't work in a free country where the opposition will cry bloody treason. They already did at the start claiming India lost territory which was an absolute lie. What India lost was the right to patrol disputed territory that lay between the claim lines of both countries.

I think there is a line in the constitution that states no govt official may part with territory. So allowing loss of territory is a non starter. This is why we continue to claim lands lost during past wars. The govt is compelled to show they are doing something or at least saying so to the effect.
                          Again, information management. Even in the US, opposition to the Iraq Invasion was based on the idea that the US was going to war over oil. I'm sure the same outcry can be made about going to war over rocks.

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                          I wanted to say that, but kept it for you.
                          It should have lead you to a few other conclusions.

But, this is not happening.
                          No, neither side is stupid enough to goto war over rocks no matter what the newspapers say.

In the meantime, India will get arms-rich.
                          The US Arms Industry are extremely happy to relieve you of monies you don't have.
                          Chimo

Comment

• Niti bang next to the Tibet border, closed now with snow

Comment

• We have enough money to buy the weapons we need, the problems are endemic red tape makes it impossible to even spend the budget alloted every year for weapons amd other things.

The problem is to have partners who can start JVs to manufacture locally, in several sectors the large demands justify such capacity building.

High altitude, winter clothing being one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by kuku View Post
                                Niti bang next to the Tibet border, closed now with snow
                                Which state ?

Comment

Working...
                                X