High death toll in Philippines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by winton View Post
    It would have been a gesture of goodwill and friendship. Wishing them well. You must admit that the US govt at the time wasn't happy about the eviction. And unhappy govts don't leave happily.
    So we should forgo the ability to repair not only our ships but allied warships in the Pacific just to make the citizens of Olongapo feel good?

Hate is a bit harsh. Its not hate and I never alluded to that, although there were some that did resent you being there.
    There are Americans that resent having a military base in their hometown

I think you have to ask yourself why that despite you being there at the time and made alot of friends with the locals, they still evicted you.
    That is very easy. The Philippine Senate got greedy. A treaty had been negotiated. President Aquino was in favor. And the people were for it.

The Philippine Senate thought that because of the high usage during the recent Gulf War that they held a huge bargaining chip. They didn't

Clark AFB had been shut down and abandoned due to the volcano. The US no longer was fighting the cold war and plans were already being made for a gradual draw down of Subic. We refused to negotiate further.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      That is very easy. The Philippine Senate got greedy. A treaty had been negotiated. President Aquino was in favor. And the people were for it.

The Philippine Senate thought that because of the high usage during the recent Gulf War that they held a huge bargaining chip. They didn't

Clark AFB had been shut down and abandoned due to the volcano. The US no longer was fighting the cold war and plans were already being made for a gradual draw down of Subic. We refused to negotiate further.
      It should be noted that the Senate's Foreign Relations Committee voted 12-11 against the new treaty. A formal vote by the 24 member Senate would need two thirds to pass. President Corazon Aquino then called on supporters of the treaty to march on the Senate ala the People's Power March. They felt that there was still room to negotiate at the time even though Washington took the preliminary vote seriously.

Questions I always had was who were the 12 who voted against the treaty. Namely what province they came from versus the 11 who voted for it. Translation revolves around "who gets the money." The base is in Northern Luzon and not in the Visayas or Mindanao. I know the answer.

Second, slightly off topic, is why the hell there are 23 members on the Foreign Relations Committee out of 24 members. I know... only in the Philippines. That is my one why question for the day as I don't know the answer.

Last, taking a look at their Senate shows a rouges gallery of characters. Names, or shall I say family names, that go back decades/centuries showing the Senate is a hand me down family business. That was courtesy of the Spanish who handed out very large land grants to ensure cooperation of the Filipinos when they arrived in the islands. They still control extremely large amount of land in the country to this day and to their very great benefit both politically and economically. That is one place where a revolution might have done them some good in eliminating the land owner/vassal relationship. This is what will always hold back that country for eternity.

Edit: Should be also noted that they feel that even the VFA currently in place leads to crime and prostitution in the areas where the troops are. I know that is b.s. as I have been there when U.S. troops are present and they were confined to base during that time.

However, I just got an email from a friend living in Angeles where Clark Air Base was. Seems there was a commotion at the end of his street involving a Filipina, her British husband, and two early 20's Filipino males. Next thing he knew the males were running down the street past him and the Filipina was screaming. Seems they clocked the husband in the head with a rock knocking him out. The wife reported that the two had discussed, in tagalog, doing just that since he was a foreigner and it was ok to kill him. Since I know personally of six others killed in the last 10 years, and a few attempts, this story is most likely probable.
      Last edited by tbm3fan; 03 Dec 13,, 08:00.

Comment

A clear example of why I do not give money to charities for aid in 3rd World Countries. This relates to British aid but probably has happened to most aid. Any country that gave cash was foolish to do so as most ended up in the wrong hands. I know Australia is in for $40M.

Philippines aid scandal: Food flown in from Britain ends up in shops hundreds of miles from typhoon | Mail Online

Philippines aid scandal: Food flown in from Britain ends up in shops hundreds of miles from typhoon

Supplies have turned up on shelves of shops in the capital Manila
        Equipment bought with UK donations have been locked up in warehouses
        Rice and other food is being stockpiled and not given to needy
        Charities express concern that not all donations are reaching disaster zone

By Simon Parry

PUBLISHED: 17:14 EST, 7 December 2013 | UPDATED: 17:14 EST, 7 December 2013

74,161 shares

View
        comments

Crucial aid sent from Britain to help the victims of typhoon-ravaged areas of the Philippines is being siphoned off and sold for profit by corrupt local officials.

Emergency supplies delivered by military helicopters have turned up on the shelves of shops in affluent districts of the capital Manila – hundreds of miles from the disaster zone.

And shelter equipment purchased using British donations has been locked up in government warehouses and stockpiled alongside rice and other food intended for victims of last month’s catastrophe, The Mail on Sunday has learned.
        A television news report shows much-needed supplies on sale in affluent parts of the capital Manila

A television news report shows much-needed supplies on sale in affluent parts of the capital Manila
        Filipinos rush to get relief goods during a helicopter aid drop

Filipinos rush to get relief goods during a helicopter aid drop. Evidence that much-needed supplies are being stockpiled rather than being distributed to those in need

Last night, the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) – an umbrella group representing 14 UK charities – expressed concern about evidence that suggests not all the £60 million of aid given by Britain is reaching those most in need.

More...

Couple who took part in Nigerian gang's internet banking plot to steal £19million in 'phishing' scam are jailed
        Top-secret government spy satellite launched into space with sinister cartoon octopus logo and boast that 'Nothing Is Beyond Our Reach'

Alarming evidence of the thefts has been provided by expat Keb Darge, 56, who says he faces death threats for stopping local officials stealing aid in Eastern Samar, one of the worst-hit areas.

Mr Darge, a disc jockey originally from Scotland, said: ‘The aid isn’t getting through to where it’s needed. I’ve seen the deliveries arrive and I’ve seen them disappear.

‘Only a tiny percentage of the aid is getting through. The situation isn’t going to improve unless there’s an investigation. Someone needs to go and find out exactly what is happening. It is British aid coming in. Why give it to untrustworthy officials to steal? It is ludicrous.’

Mr Darge photographed supplies being locked up rather than distributed in Eastern Samar, where he used to live with his Filipino wife and their nine-year-old daughter. Now he has gone into hiding in Manila, fearing reprisals after receiving threats from the corrupt officials he has been trying to expose.
        Charities have expressed concern about evidence that suggests not all the £60¿million of aid given by Britain is reaching those - such as residents of Tacloban (pictured)

Charities have expressed concern about evidence that suggests not all the £60¿million of aid given by Britain is reaching those - such as residents of Tacloban (pictured) - that need it most

He said: ‘People have warned me to take these threats seriously. They’ve said, ‘‘Be careful, they will shoot you if you carry on.” I’m under threat. There’s a price on my head.’

Mr Darge’s wife, Edith, 33, lost 15 members of her family when the storm struck their village of Hernani. Since then the couple have offered shelter and fed families in their home, which is solidly built and powered by a generator. Mr Darge has also searched for missing friends and cleared bodies from flooded areas.

Television stations in the Philippines have supported Mr Darge’s claims, reporting that supplies have been diverted to Manila. Aid packages have also apparently been auctioned online.

And Mr Darge’s allegations of corruption were backed up by a Japanese aid worker, Shiratori Koti, who said local administrators were diverting goods to their homes.

Mr Koti said: ‘There isn’t enough food getting through to people. We don’t have evidence but we believe it is being taken by officials.’
        More than 5,000 people were killed and up to four million people displaced when Super Typhoon Haiyan hit on November 8.

More than 5,000 people were killed and up to four million people displaced when Super Typhoon Haiyan hit on November 8. Pictured: The storm in Legaspi, Albay province

There are also concerns that supplies are simply being wasted. Mr Darge described finding 800 beef-burgers – apparently flown in from the US aircraft carrier George Washington – dumped by the roadside.

In Hernani, some residents have criticised the local mayor, Edgar Boco, in the wake of the crisis. One online contributor accused him of withholding aid and ‘distributing it to his preferred party-mafia circle’.

In a newspaper interview, Mr Boco admitted his officials were controlling distribution but said: ‘You can’t constantly give relief goods to the people. People will abuse the system. They will gorge themselves.’

A DEC spokesman said last night: ‘I would be interested to find out what items are being sold and where.

‘There is always a risk of diversion and theft, but our member agencies have measures in place to stop this happening very early on. Our aid is carefully targeted and monitored.’

More than 5,000 people were killed and up to four million people displaced when Super Typhoon Haiyan devastated the Philippines on November 8.

Comment

Working...
        X