Quetta, Balochistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980:

Thanks for your insights. Got me looking closer at its history and geography. Looks like it would be very hard for it to achieve independence with both Iran and Pakistan opposed.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Originally posted by 1980s View Post
      After his release on bail, he went into hiding again and he now leads the BLF.
      There lies the problem with Pakistan. Terrorists like Allah Nazar are released even though they are guilty of treason against the State. Pakistan continues to deal with these miscreants with child hands. A lesson needs to be learnt from China and terrorists such as these should be dealt with an iron fist. He should have been hanged long time ago for his terrorist activities. Its funny how Mr. Nazar is pretending to be an angel in this interview when he and his group are directly responsible for the deaths of doctors, lawyers, engineers, teachers and other intellectuals/professionals residing in Balochistan. I have full faith that this disgusting human being will meet his end soon.

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
      1980:

Thanks for your insights. Got me looking closer at its history and geography. Looks like it would be very hard for it to achieve independence with both Iran and Pakistan opposed.
      More like zero to none. I am an ethnic Baloch and i certainly don't want to see Balochistan split from Pakistan. I speak for the majority of my fellow brethren, these BLA and BLF scums are only a handful minority.

Comment

• Originally posted by notorious_eagle View Post
        More like zero to none. I am an ethnic Baloch and i certainly don't want to see Balochistan split from Pakistan. I speak for the majority of my fellow brethren, these BLA and BLF scums are only a handful minority.
        In the article 1980 posted, it is stated that "Dr Allah Nazar is Balochistan’s most popular middle-class nationalist leader." That is a somewhat ambiguous statement in that being compared to other nationalist leaders may not amount to much. What about the newspaper in which the article appeared? Is it impartial?

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
          In the article 1980 posted, it is stated that "Dr Allah Nazar is Balochistan’s most popular middle-class nationalist leader." That is a somewhat ambiguous statement in that being compared to other nationalist leaders may not amount to much. What about the newspaper in which the article appeared? Is it impartial?
          Sir

By no means is Allah Nazar a popular leader. His group has minimal support among the average Baloch. He is a thug trying to arm twist the Federal Government into granting more resources so he can take his cut. Groups such as BLA and BLF have barely any support among the locals. They are minuscule groups, they can be crushed in one day if the Government actually starts taking this threat seriously.

I cannot comment on the impartiality of the newspaper(first time i am hearing of it) but i can say that the journalist is certainly biased. He failed to grill Nazar on his terrorist activities. His group is directly responsible for the murder of countless intellectuals in Balochistan. They have murdered teachers in Balochistan to try and discourage education.

Comment

• Eagle:

Thanks for the insight. I saw in an earlier report that his group killed some Chinese scientists. The article didn't say what he hoped to gain by doing so.

Comment

Eagle:

Thanks for the insight. I saw in an earlier report that his group killed some Chinese scientists. The article didn't say what he hoped to gain by doing so.
              It's an ethnic conflict. The separatists see the Gwadar project as one which will result in an influx of Pakjabis, hence the targeted killings. They see it similar to how Sindh was swarmed by the Muhajirs post-partition, becoming the second largest ethnic group in Sindh (and the largest in the Urban areas of Sindh).
              Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
              -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

• Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                It's an ethnic conflict. The separatists see the Gwadar project as one which will result in an influx of Pakjabis, hence the targeted killings. They see it similar to how Sindh was swarmed by the Muhajirs post-partition, becoming the second largest ethnic group in Sindh (and the largest in the Urban areas of Sindh).
                The non-Indian and non-Pakistani members might need some explanation..

Pakjabis: Ethnic Punjabis from Pakistan
                Muhajirs: People who migrated from India during the partition and their descendants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                  The non-Indian and non-Pakistani members might need some explanation..

Pakjabis: Ethnic Punjabis from Pakistan
                  The term 'Pakjabi' is typically used by Indians and other Pakistan bashers in a derogatory context - the correct name for that particular ethnic group is 'Punjabi'. If you need to distinguish the Pakistani Punjabis from the Indian Punjabis, the term 'Pakistani Punjabis' or 'Pak-Punjabis' would be the appropriate reference, though given the context of the discussion it would be obvious to most readers that 'Punjabis' refers to 'Pakistani Punjabis'.

I would like to ask the forum mods/admins to discourage the use of derogatory slang like 'Pakjabis'.
                  Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
                  https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

Comment

• Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                    The separatists see the Gwadar project as one which will result in an influx of Pakjabis, hence the targeted killings.
                    The Moderating Staff has been informed that the term "Pakjabi" can used in pejorative or offensive way. Please refrain from using it. Thanks.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Interesting how a term can be offensive in one part of the world and in another seem innocuous. This brings to mind the problems US force initially had in Iraq and Afghanistan understanding cultural do's and don'ts.

Even armed with this dictionary, an outsider would never know using the term would offend some people.

https://sites.google.com/site/brfdic...sary/p/pakjabi

Comment

Interesting how a term can be offensive in one part of the world and in another seem innocuous. This brings to mind the problems US force initially had in Iraq and Afghanistan understanding cultural do's and don'ts.

Even armed with this dictionary, an outsider would never know using the term would offend some people.

https://sites.google.com/site/brfdic...sary/p/pakjabi
                        The only thing being 'armed' with that particular 'dictionary' will do (in the context of Pakistan) is offend more Pakistanis. The 'dictionary' is maintained by individuals from Bharat Rakshak Forum (BRF) - an Indian forum that is notorious for taking an extremely anti-Pakistan position. The forum itself (including the mods and admins) is replete with anti-Pakistan slurs and abuse and is one of the first places I saw the term 'Pakjabi' being used.

For example, see the following reference to the current Pakistani COAS on the BRF 'Dictionary':

Ashfaq Kayani is known to BRF readers by quite a few nicknames:

- Ass-phuck or Ass-phuck Kayani - A parody and deliberate misspelling of his first name. Note that his first name is actually pronounced Ash-fuck.
                        - Kiya-nahi - A deliberate misspelling of his last name. Kiya Nahin is the Hindi and Urdu words for "Didn't do (it)"
                        - General Nokia - As above, Kia (or Kiya) is the Hindi word for "Did". No-Kia is roughly "No-Did", or more properly, "Didn't do". Also see the entry for Nokeeya which is a BRF nickname for the Nokia corporation.
                        - Kiyani - Doesn't mean anything special. His last name has often been spelled like this in the press and several people, including some BRF members, are unaware of the correct spelling of his name.
                        https://sites.google.com/site/brfdic.../ashfaq-kayani
                        Personally, I actually chuckled at some of the rather creative pejoratives (including the Kayani one above) concocted in the 'BRF Dictionary', but since the goal of BRF and their dictionary is to insult and denigrate, their creativity and my (or others) ability to find humor in their prejudice should not be a pass for allowing that kind of language on any respectable platform.
                        Last edited by Agnostic Muslim; 23 Sep 13,, 16:38.
                        Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah

Comment

• AM:

Thanks. I have a lot to learn about your part of the world. It might take me 100 years, and I don't have that much time left on my biological clock. Better to ask questions and listen. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Agnostic Muslim View Post
                            I would like to ask the forum mods/admins to discourage the use of derogatory slang like 'Pakjabis'.

I'm going to warn you just this once to never again do this publicly. If you have a contextual question/comment/complaint, use the Report Post feature or PM a Moderator.
                            sigpic

Comment

1980:

You also have to take into account the fact that Balochistan has a very large ethnic Pakhtun population, and that the ethnic Baloch community may now be more of a plurality rather than a majority. A combination of the existing tribal feuds, ethnic and sectarian tensions make any chance of a 'stable and secular Balochistan independent of Pakistan' even more remote.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                                The Moderating Staff has been informed that the term "Pakjabi" can used in pejorative or offensive way. Please refrain from using it. Thanks.
                                TH, I will refrain from using the term again if you say so, but the term has been on WAB for a while, and it has never been "derogatory" till now.

In today's world, the word "Punjabi" is synonymous with Indian Punjabis. In the West, go to any Punjabi restaurant, or go look for any Punjabi music, movies, or books; you will find them all to be products of Indian Punjab. If you visit some nightclubs in Toronto or London, you will find the DJs sometimes pounding Punjabi beats into their mix. When Jay-Z releases a Punjabi collaboration track, or the Punjabi music is being used in Hollywood movies (like in 'The Dictator'), it is all the product of Indian Punjab.

As an ethnic Punjabi myself, I never felt the need to differentiate between Indian Punjabis and Pak-Punjabis till the trend of visceral hatred from the Baloch, Pashtuns, and the Afghans toward Punjabis appeared on the social media. So I equally take offence at the Punjabi name being sullied by a solely Pakistan-borne phenomena, such as "Punjabi Taliban" or "Punjabi fundamentalists". Punjabi culture has easily been one of the most open and tolerant cultures in the region, exporting music, literature and art.

Post-partition, the Pak-Punjabis have chosen their culture, and it is not Punjabi. They grow inspiration from a foreign Mughal heritage (ala, "Hindustani culture", the language and culture of the hinterland states, UP and Bihar, of India). The recent rise of fundamentalism and radicalism in Pak-Punjab is not Punjabi culture, but their recent love for Bedoin Salafist/Wahabbi culture.

At the end of the day, the term "Pakjabi" is only derogatory because of the deeds done by the Pak-Punjabis.
                                Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                                -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Working...
                                X