Why Afghanistan is the wrong war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP, young man

Comrades of a teenage British soldier killed in southern Afghanistan have described him as a "ray of sunshine". Skip related content
    Rifleman Cyrus Thatcher, 19, of 2nd Battalion The Rifles, died in an explosion while on patrol near Gereshk in Helmand Province on Tuesday morning.

His family said they would never recover from their loss.

Rifleman Thatcher, from Caversham in Reading, Berkshire, joined 2 Rifles in December 2007 and went to Kosovo on his first operational tour in the summer of last year.

In April he was deployed to Afghanistan as a machine gunner, and had already been marked as a strong candidate for promotion.

His senior officers paid tribute to an outstanding soldier who "simmered with potential" and always kept up his mates' spirits with his infectious sense of humour.

Rifleman Thatcher's parents, Robin and Helena, and brothers, Zac and Steely, said in a statement: "Cyrus was a much-loved son and brother whose loss we will never recover from. He loved his job and was proud to serve his country. We will always be immensely proud of him. He will forever be in our hearts and minds."

2 Rifles commanding officer Lieutenant Colonel Rob Thomson said the young soldier had a "rucksack full of potential".

Serjeant Leon Smith, platoon serjeant of 10 Platoon, said: "Rifleman Thatcher was a ray of sunshine within 10 Platoon. Always giggling and joking, making the blokes smile."

Rifleman Thatcher's death took the number of British troops who have died in Afghanistan since the start of operations in October 2001 to 166.

Comment

Homage

Present arms! May Rifleman Thatcher rest in peace and God's grace on those he left behind, especially his parents and brothers.

It's been hard from the beginning to watch the price these young men and women have paid on behalf of all of us, the Iraqis and Afghanis. I just hope someday the world appreciates our intent and honors these fine soldiers as we do here at WAB...
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

We've done this too often, too often.

God Bless.

Present Arms.

Comment

Rest In Peace
          When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            We've done this too often, too often.

God Bless.

Present Arms.
            And again Colonel

R.I.P.

A British soldier has been killed by an explosion in southern Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence has said. Skip related content
            The soldier, from The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, was caught in the blast near Kandahar on Thursday morning.

The MoD said the blast was caused by an improvised explosive device and it occurred while the soldier was on a planned operation.

Lieutenant Colonel Nick Richardson, spokesman for Task Force Helmand, said: "It is with great regret that we report the death of another soldier on Operation Herrick 10.

"It is an incredibly sad day for the whole of the Task Force but our thoughts and prayers go out to the soldiers of The Black Watch and particularly the bereaved friends and family of the soldier during this very sad time."

Brigadier-General Richard Blanchette, spokesman for the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force, said: "The death of this service member is mourned by all of us in ISAF, and I offer our sympathy to the soldier's family and friends.

"We will remember this life and priceless service in support of the Afghan people with great respect and gratitude."

Condolences to the soldier have also been offered by SNP politicians in Perth, which has strong links with the Black Watch.

Peter Wishart, MP for Perth and North Perthshire, said: "This is very sad news, a second Black Watch soldier killed in just over a month. This loss will be felt very deeply throughout Perthshire."

Roseanna Cunningham, Scottish environment minister and MSP for Perth, said: "My prayers are with all those who are grieving today and with the families of other members of the Black Watch serving in Afghanistan."

Comment

Another brave soldier,

The Ministry of Defence confirms that a British soldier from The 2nd Battalion the Rifles was killed as a result of an explosion during a deliberate operation near Sangin, northern Helmand Province, Afghanistan on the morning of 12 June 2009.

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel Nick Richardson, said: "It is with deep regret that we report the death of another soldier in Helmand Province.

"Our deepest heartfelt sympathies go out to the soldiers and Officers of 2nd Battalion the Rifles and the bereaved friends and family of this brave soldier."

Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released.
              Present Arms.
              Nulli Secundus
              People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

R. I. P.

Comment

This is the young man killed S/C R.I.P.

An officer killed in action during an operation in southern Afghanistan was a "wonderful, loving son", his family said. Lieutenant Paul Mervis, who was killed by a blast in southern Afghanistan on Friday. Lieutenant Paul Mervis, 27 and from London - who was a platoon commander with 2nd Battalion The Rifles - died on Friday from a blast near Sangin in northern Helmand Province.

A statement from his family said: "Paul was a wonderful, loving son, brother and friend - generous and thoughtful, with an infectious sense of fun. He was passionately committed to his men - far beyond mere duty."

His death took the number of British service personnel who have died in Afghanistan since the start of operations in October 2001 to 168.

Lt Mervis was caught in a blast from an improvised explosive device (IED) while on foot patrol on Friday morning.

He died just 10 days after one of his platoon members, Rifleman Cyrus Thatcher, was killed by an explosion during another operation in Afghanistan.

Lieutenant Colonel Rob Thomson, the commanding officer of 2nd Battalion The Rifles, said of Lt Mervis: "There was no more committed officer in the Rifles and the Riflemen adored being under his command.

"He had taken the fight to the enemy at every turn and it had not been without a cost - Rifleman Thatcher was in his Platoon and his beloved 10 Platoon had already had two other Riflemen wounded in action, including his Platoon Serjeant.

"It was a cost which hurt him to the core but it did not deter him."

Lt Mervis went to school at King's College, Wimbledon, and studied philosophy at University College, London.

Comment

God Bless All

Present Arms.

Comment

My son turned 11 today. I look at him and pray that I never have to go through anything like that with. I just couldn't handle it.

Comment

My Condolences

Present Arms! May Lt. Mervis rest in peace and his family and friends find the solace so deserved.

Northern Helmand remains an extremely difficult area. As badly as we want and need to go south where even more opium and unaffected areas remain, the security of these more populous zones compels constant patrolling. The Brits do as much of this as possible on foot (as do we in the east). Doing so, however, makes these men very, very vulnerable to IED attack. The human body is no MRAP vehicle and there's no defense against such. Likely command-detonated at this unfortunate platoon's command element.

God bless his men remaining behind and him...
                        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny W View Post
                          My son turned 11 today. I look at him and pray that I never have to go through anything like that with. I just couldn't handle it.
                          I hope you never have to mate , and i hope the sacrifices that are happening now , make it all worthwhile so you and other parents dont have to , but the way the world is , its inevitable that other parents are going to get the dreaded knock on the door , but young men and women who join , do so with their eyes wide open and know the risks involved in trying to help stabalise this planet and make a worthy career for themselves ,

May their own Gods go with them .
                          Last edited by tankie; 15 Jun 09,, 10:47.

Comment

BAD NEWS INDEED ,, RIP MEN .

The most senior British serviceman to be killed in action in Afghanistan has been described as "a superb commanding officer" who was "destined for greatness".
                            Lieutenant Colonel Rupert Thorneloe, commanding officer of the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, was killed along with 18-year-old Trooper Joshua Hammond, of 2nd Royal Tank Regiment, about 8km north of Lashkar Gah in Helmand province on Wednesday.

The men were travelling in a Viking armoured vehicle which was hit by an improvised explosive device (IED).

The cross-country vehicles are due to be replaced for operations in Afghanistan by more than 100 new, larger and more heavily-armoured tracked vehicles to be known as Warthogs, while a further 100 Jackal all-terrain vehicles will also be purchased.

The Viking was introduced into Afghanistan three years ago but last year the Ministry of Defence (MoD) admitted it had reached the limit of how much it could be armoured following a series of deaths involving Taliban IEDs.

The first of the new vehicles should be ready to be deployed by the end of next year.

General Sir Richard Dannatt, Chief of the General Staff, said Lt Col Thorneloe, of Kirtlington, near Oxford, was at the "leading edge of his generation" while his wife Sally said the 39-year-old father-of-two would be "sorely missed".

He had left the Battle Group Headquarters and was on a resupply convoy in order to visit his men who were conducting a major operation in hostile territory, the Ministry of Defence said.

An improvised explosive device was detonated under his vehicle, killing him and Trooper Hammond, and taking the number of UK servicemen and women who have died in Afghanistan since operations began in October 2001 to 171.

A Clarence House spokesman said the Prince of Wales, who is Colonel of the Welsh Guards, was "deeply saddened" by his death and would be writing privately both to his family and to his regiment. It is understood Charles knew Lt Col Thorneloe well

Comment

R. I. P. Col. Thorneloe and Trooper Hammond

Comment

Present Arms.

God Bless.

Comment

Working...
                                X