Indian National Elections - 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian National Elections - 2019

Lok Sabha Election 2019: All dates, full schedule, constituency-wise details, all you need to know

DE, costliest democratic election in the world?
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Lok Sabha Polls: Pictures of PM, ministers taken down from most government websites

Like!

Assume current government run by Scamgress. Would this been possible? Hah!
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      Lok Sabha Polls: Pictures of PM, ministers taken down from most government websites

Like!

Assume current government run by Scamgress. Would this been possible? Hah!
      Model code of conduct. You should ask this question regarding TMC in WB or movie mafia of TN

Comment

Will foreign policy, national security issues play a decisive role in 2019 general elections? | IE | Mar 12 2019

there is no way of drawing a direct correlation between foreign policy issues and electoral results. To be sure, the surgical strikes and the bombing of Balakot will buttress the image of the PM as a strong leader. But no one is betting that that image alone will bring Modi back to power. Issues of bread and butter, identity, coalition building and an effective campaign will be the key factors that will determine the results.
        BJP better keep this in mind if they want to remain in office.

Comment

These days elections, political parties have to have their own theme songs

Comment

The opposition is as usual scathing

Comment

If Modi is chor, why haven't I heard of a single case of corruption against him that could stand trial in a court of law? Rahul Gandhi should find better topics of cornering Modi like job growth. As he is, an idiot of the highest degree, like most Pakistanis he thinks saying a lie again and again would make it a truth.

April 18th is the day. This time, together with my old man, we'll set out at 7AM to vote. Will vote for Modi the 3rd time, if he orders the military to bomb GHQ, Rawalpindi. Enough of Pakistani terrorism.

Comment

So this is what has surprised me, in UP at a rally he's made Pakistan an election topic and the Paks are delighted

1) We have this Pak threat
                2) previous PM's did nothing about 1)
                3) we have this great problem of terrorism and only Modi can fix it
                4) only Modi can fight corruption

Comment

Pakistan Army & ISI, these jokers/thugs handed over a couple of seats to the BJP by orchestrating Pulwama attack. Anybody, a single civilian or a single security personnel dead because of Pakistani terrorism, India should reduce to rubble 3 Pak posts along the LoC and kill 10 times as much. These bloodthirsty islamic barbarians need to know, that Indians have been playing bloodsport even before Islam came into being, and this bloodlust is precisely the reason why Ashoka converted.

Comment

These bloodthirsty islamic barbarians need to know, that Indians have been playing bloodsport even before Islam came into being, and this bloodlust is precisely the reason why Ashoka converted.
                    look up Sanjeev Sanyal, he disagrees with the underlined bit

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      look up Sanjeev Sanyal, he disagrees with the underlined bit
                      So he converted to buddhism before the war. Fine, if it's true. Doesn't negate my point that Indians knew how to orchestrate genocide before the civilized world defined the term.

Comment

The opposition's view on security

Empathy for Kashmir, pressure on Pakistan: Army General’s security roadmap for Congress | The Print | Mar 31 2019

Pakistan, the situation in Kashmir, the Naxal threat and communal violence feature prominently in the report prepared by a former Indian Army general on the Congress’ strategy vis-a-vis national security.
                        Funny thing is for the BJP, naxals weren't an issue. You'd think there'd be more fireworks than with Congress. Also i don't remember communal violence being an issue with the BJP.

Importantly, the report states that India needs to start taking action against terrorism emanating from Pakistan by putting pressure on Islamabad “politically, diplomatically and even through military measures”.
                        No differences on Pakistan

Just to be clear Hooda hasn't joined Congress but he was the lead for their national security strategy report.

Didn't congress question the first surgical strikes ? and here they are taking advice from the guy who led that operation : )
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 31 Mar 19,, 15:24.

Comment

If Modi is chor, why haven't I heard of a single case of corruption against him that could stand trial in a court of law?
                          It's not so much that Modi's a crook not even the opposition could level as direct a charge at him but rather no big fish have been caught on his watch when his party banged on about scam after the next before coming to office. Manmohan has a better record as at least Lalu got convicted.

So who is this chowkidar guarding ? the people or the crooks.

There have been no scandals under Modi's govt but for unknown reasons he's been unable to move against known crooks. BJP saying Modi's not the vindictive kind : )

India needs Chowkidar Modi, not Mahatma Narendra | Sunday Guardian | Dec 09 2018

Nalapat called this three months ago.

Instead the term chowkidar is now being used as an election slogan

As far as defense goes he definitely has done the guarding and done it well. Same with looking after India's interests.

On the corruption front not so much.
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 31 Mar 19,, 21:50.

Comment

Modi's reusing Indira's national unity themes from the Punjab insurgency

The 1980s was a non stop theme of threats against the nation and national integration. Indira Gandhi spoke almost exclusively on that theme throughout her speeches, when the Bhindranwale situation was getting out of control leading to operation Blue Star. Rajiv continued the same theme.

Modi has actually reused some of Indira Gandhi's speech quotes almost word for word. I could hardly believe it when he said he would give every drop of blood for the nation in a recent speech. That was actually one of Indira Gandhi's most famous speeches given in 1984. I half expected the Congress to call out Modi for that.
                            Comment i picked out of youtube

Comment

Was thinking of Vajpayee and wondering why he lost in 2004

Did the nuke test then won kargil, got the hostages back and was the most decent politician we'd ever get.

After winning Rajasthan, Chatisgarh & MP Vajpayee felt confident and decided to call elections six months early. And then he lost

He'd been PM three times at that point.

Some one already looked at this question earlier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	elections 1999 2004.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1477963

There's two curious things that stand out among those numbers. How Congress lost in 1999 with nearly 20 million more votes and how BJP lost in 2004 with only a 2% drop in votes compared to 1999. No big swing or wave.

Both times Congress wins the popular vote. So winning popular vote is no guarantee of success.

Those votes must be distributed around the country and not be only in a few deep pockets.

It is this arithmetic that makes predicting win or loss in 2019 very difficult

It is this concept of “First past the post” which was very well understood & applied by the Congress party. Instead of putting more campaigning efforts into constituencies it already had strong foothold in, the party chose to divert that effort into other constituencies where it was weak or was in tight battle with BJP. Increasing it’s seat ratio was primary and everything else was secondary because the party knew that if it had the right numbers, it could easily attract allies and could even pull a few away from rival coalitions (DMK for example) into their grip so as to form the next Govt.
                              That is how Congress won in 2004. To win people all over the country must give support.

Same reason why the Democrats lost in 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X