In Bangalore, Goons Threaten To Skin Australian Man For His Goddess Tattoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    I care. Antimony does too. Are you a Bangladeshi who doesn't care the image loss these incidents cause to the Nation?
    If you care so much about the image of the nation, why are you posting this shit on a global forum?

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
      If you care so much about the image of the nation, why are you posting this shit on a global forum?
      We are more concerned with the state of the nation, the image is a false construct for small minded nationalists. People get fed by real growth and are protected by real law and order, not by a false image.
      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
        We are more concerned with the state of the nation, the image is a false construct for small minded nationalists. People get fed by real growth and are protected by real law and order, not by a false image.
        That's not what Oracle claimed. Stop speaking on his behalf.

Comment

That's not what Oracle claimed. Stop speaking on his behalf.
          "You" is a plural pronoun, your post gave the impression that you were speaking to both of us
          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
            It could be blasted out in timesnow or ibn, it does not matter. No one cares. Don't you get it?

Around 2 years ago, almost every national print and electronic media ganged up together in a bizarre and colossal effort to stop the gujarat cm from becoming the pm of india. Though the mission failed miserably, it revealed to watchers around india that the indian population is not influenced by these broadcasters. We now believe that vernacular dailies may hold that influence but not completely sure. Perhaps through a close knit community.
            I get that you dont care and that in your mind this is not about liberty but about Modi.
            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

I'll let you chaps fight among yourselves and offer you a perspective from Australia. Unsurprisingly this has had a fair bit of coverage here. Having a bunch of goons threaten to skin someone because they don't like his tattoo tends to get people's attention. It made Indians look crazy & violent, especially coming so soon after the latest batch of gang rapes.

I should point out that when Australians get in trouble overseas we don't necessarily jump to the defence of our own. We know enough about how Australians can behave overseas that if the behaviour seemed to warrant the response people might be inclined to go with 'he was asking for it'. I suspect that if you explained the offence this might cause people would understand why he might be asked to cover it up. Being threatened with skinning, however, just makes people think of the sort of stuff we usually associate with radical Islam. That is the current reference point for religious extremism, so that is the immediate comparison.

Having seen my own nation's reputation unfairly impugned by the Indian media I am disinclined to feel any sympathy at claims of 'sensationalism'. Seemed perfectly OK when lies about Australia were the flavour of the month.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                I'll let you chaps fight among yourselves and offer you a perspective from Australia. Unsurprisingly this has had a fair bit of coverage here. Having a bunch of goons threaten to skin someone because they don't like his tattoo tends to get people's attention. It made Indians look crazy & violent, especially coming so soon after the latest batch of gang rapes.

I should point out that when Australians get in trouble overseas we don't necessarily jump to the defence of our own. We know enough about how Australians can behave overseas that if the behaviour seemed to warrant the response people might be inclined to go with 'he was asking for it'. I suspect that if you explained the offence this might cause people would understand why he might be asked to cover it up. Being threatened with skinning, however, just makes people think of the sort of stuff we usually associate with radical Islam. That is the current reference point for religious extremism, so that is the immediate comparison.

Having seen my own nation's reputation unfairly impugned by the Indian media I am disinclined to feel any sympathy at claims of 'sensationalism'. Seemed perfectly OK when lies about Australia were the flavour of the month.
                BF,

My gripe is not with the "goons" as every country has retarded shits who are looking for a fight. In any case we only have the Australian's perspective on the matter. I don't know what really happened and how the things escalated. I have an issue with the police demanding the guy to write a formal apology instead of actually protecting him. Having said that, the police could have made him write the letter to avoid further escalation as according to some reports there was a politician involved and sadly the police have little control or power over the political class in this country. This is the problem with the open-to-interpretation arbitrary free speech laws that exist in India.

The fact that these incidents are on the rise under Modi is worrying though. Even if Modi personally doesn't condone these acts, a lot of his party's support comes from these sections of the society. And with him in power these supporters feel empowered to do as they please. I honestly fail to understand Modi's stand on such issues. On one hand we have him travelling the world parading our country as a great destination for business and manufacturing while on the other hand we have these issues getting highlighted more and more in the media. Not sure how this portrayal affects his over-all objective of getting more businesses to shift to India.

Comment

So that the real issues get highlighted. Atithi Devo Bhaya. Is that the way we treat guests of foreign countries? Why showcase Incredible India? I care when Bolo121 (an Indian and a Christian) says he needs to look out for a job outside India, it reflects his fear and anger towards the current GoI. Everybody, irrespective of religious faith, caste and creed should have the right to life, the right to eat, and the right to speak freely. Right now, everything seems to be a mirage. If you must know, I voted for BJP too, I voted for development. But, I would have no qualms if things go downhill and the US justice department (if that's the department that imposes sanctions due to religious intolerance or maybe the state department) imposes sanctions on India due to the shit that's happening. The BJP Government needs a smack, a tight one, to get things on order. In here, people are questioning my choice of meat eating, even though I'm a Hindu and meat eating has been a part of my cultural heritage and tradition for centuries.

Now, since you asked me why I'm posting this shit on a global forum? People outside India should know how regressive we have become as a society, coz' that would help them makes their choices about the world's largest democracy. I'll be nice, for now, when I say that you are either on this side of the line or the other who are trying hard to make India a Hindu version of Pakistan. Choose wisely.

cataphract, one more thing. Don't you dare ask me ever again why I post this and such stuff. This is a global forum, and I'd do as I please unless I break rules. Don't like it, don't participate. You must be very good looking the other way when innocents get killed or harassed. Don't expect kudos from me.
                  Last edited by Oracle; 22 Oct 15,, 17:41.
                  Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
                    BF,

My gripe is not with the "goons" as every country has retarded shits who are looking for a fight. In any case we only have the Australian's perspective on the matter. I don't know what really happened and how the things escalated. I have an issue with the police demanding the guy to write a formal apology instead of actually protecting him. Having said that, the police could have made him write the letter to avoid further escalation as according to some reports there was a politician involved and sadly the police have little control or power over the political class in this country. This is the problem with the open-to-interpretation arbitrary free speech laws that exist in India.

The fact that these incidents are on the rise under Modi is worrying though. Even if Modi personally doesn't condone these acts, a lot of his party's support comes from these sections of the society. And with him in power these supporters feel empowered to do as they please. I honestly fail to understand Modi's stand on such issues. On one hand we have him travelling the world parading our country as a great destination for business and manufacturing while on the other hand we have these issues getting highlighted more and more in the media. Not sure how this portrayal affects his over-all objective of getting more businesses to shift to India.
                    You spoke my mind. RSS is Brahmin dominated, Modi is OBC. Modi had a showdown with Togadia before he became PM. Even RSS was not in favour of Modi as the PM candidate earlier. Modi also put his mind to development in Gujarat, so that he gets the National stage. Now he has the National stage, has Modi become a proxy listening to calls from the Sangh Parivar to look the other way?
                    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

BF,

Darth,

I'll leave the issue of what actually happened, though I'm not aware of claims by the police or anyone else that the man in question was doing anything other than sitting in a cafe.

I agree that the actions of the police are troubling. Even if they were only trying to 'defuse' the situation by forcing him to write the letter it says something about the state of law & order. I feel confident that in a comparable situation in Australia (and I can't think of anything directly comparable that would be likely to happen) the victim would not be treated like this.

Rule of law in its many forms is a big issue for business, as is the perceived desirability of a particular location for employees. Other considerations might be bigger at this stage, but that can change. Stories like this don't help.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

But, I would have no qualms if things go downhill and the US justice department (if that's the department that imposes sanctions due to religious intolerance or maybe the state department) imposes sanctions on India due to the shit that's happening. The BJP Government needs a smack, a tight one, to get things on order. In here, people are questioning my choice of meat eating, even though I'm a Hindu and meat eating has been a part of my cultural heritage and tradition for centuries.

Now, since you asked me why I'm posting this shit on a global forum? People outside India should know how regressive we have become as a society, coz' that would help them makes their choices about the world's largest democracy. I'll be nice, for now, when I say that you are either on this side of the line or the other who are trying hard to make India a Hindu version of Pakistan. Choose wisely.
                        Ah, I get it now. You think that your self-flaggelation on a global forum would somehow raise alarm in the US govt and get sanctions slapped on the Indian govt. That's adorable. Far be it from me to get in the way of your delusional crusade, but if that's your viewpoint, don't claim that you're actually worried about India's image.

cataphract, one more thing. Don't you dare ask me ever again why I post this and such stuff. This is a global forum, and I'd do as I please unless I break rules. Don't like it, don't participate. You must be very good looking the other way when innocents get killed or harassed. Don't expect kudos from me.
                        If it's within your rights to make multiple threads about the same story, it's within my rights to call you on it. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
                        Last edited by cataphract; 23 Oct 15,, 02:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                          Darth,

I'll leave the issue of what actually happened, though I'm not aware of claims by the police or anyone else that the man in question was doing anything other than sitting in a cafe.

I agree that the actions of the police are troubling. Even if they were only trying to 'defuse' the situation by forcing him to write the letter it says something about the state of law & order.
                          Just a clarification I'm not implying the guy is at fault. Fault lies with those people alone. But it doesn't rule out the possibility that the guy could have misread the situation and thought it to be worse or more dangerous than it actually was. Finding yourself and your loved ones surrounded by an unruly crowd in a foreign country/culture can be very unsettling and scary. Threats of skinning alive, et al. wouldn't have been carried out, people don't get skinned in India (we are not the Boltons of the North lol), especially him being a foreigner in a big city and all. Even the threat got widespread attention and coverage in the Indian Media.

I feel confident that in a comparable situation in Australia (and I can't think of anything directly comparable that would be likely to happen) the victim would not be treated like this.
                          India and Australia can't really be compared though. Very different socioeconomic and political environments. For example, religion does not play a strong role in urban Australia (at-least from my experience living there) while it still retains a very dominant role in most Indian towns and cities. A religious nut is a religious nut be it a Hindu, Christian or Muslim. We have them a plenty. Funnily enough they all sound and act the same.

Rule of law in its many forms is a big issue for business, as is the perceived desirability of a particular location for employees. Other considerations might be bigger at this stage, but that can change. Stories like this don't help.
                          Rule of law in India is exhaustive but not absolute, we need to strive for the latter. As I said, not sure how this will pan out in the over-all scheme of things. I sincerely hope Modi is able to reign in these elements and send out a strong message.
                          Last edited by DarthSiddius; 23 Oct 15,, 06:13.

Comment

You spoke my mind. RSS is Brahmin dominated, Modi is OBC. Modi had a showdown with Togadia before he became PM. Even RSS was not in favour of Modi as the PM candidate earlier. Modi also put his mind to development in Gujarat, so that he gets the National stage. Now he has the National stage, has Modi become a proxy listening to calls from the Sangh Parivar to look the other way?
                            I doubt Modi is a proxy given all those past conflicts you mentioned. It's just the pandering to his "vote bank" by trying not to alienate his core supporters that I think is causing more harm to India's image. Businesses are by and large still optimistic about India's prospects for the time being. Also, he did come out against the lynching so I still have hope!
                            Last edited by DarthSiddius; 23 Oct 15,, 05:45.

Comment

Ah, I get it now. You think that your self-flaggelation on a global forum would somehow raise alarm in the US govt and get sanctions slapped on the Indian govt. That's adorable. Far be it from me to get in the way of your delusional crusade, but if that's your viewpoint, don't claim that you're actually worried about India's image.
                              Hello, BM's alter ego. Lol. Modi bhakts, however they try to mask their loyalty in boards other than India, they usually get caught. No wonder you didn't think it wise to criticize the incident, but criticize me. But I am, worried about the image. The word 'Secular' is in the constitution, maybe you don't know. How would you, you are so deluded in Modi and the Sangh and the Hindutva issue that you never found out the time to criticize the Dadri Lynching, or even this incident. I can smell Bhakts like you from a mile. So that it gets through your thick skull, Bangalore is my adoptive city, what happens here affects me not you, half wit.

If it's within your rights to make multiple threads about the same story, it's within my rights to call you on it. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
                              This is the only thread about the Aussie skinning issue. Are you stupid or on drugs? Don't post when you're high, or I'll be reporting you.
                              Last edited by Oracle; 23 Oct 15,, 19:09.

Comment

I doubt Modi is a proxy given all those past conflicts you mentioned. It's just the pandering to his "vote bank" by trying not to alienate his core supporters that I think is causing more harm to India's image. Businesses are by and large still optimistic about India's prospects for the time being. Also, he did come out against the lynching so I still have hope!
                                Your first sentence - I meant the same thing.

Business would come and go, I don't worry about that. What's the use of economic gains if it doesn't percolate to the lowest levels of our society, moreover when those get lynched. And Modi came out after the President spoke against it. Modi never took the initiative, he didn't even during Godhra. My vote is wasted, I know that.

Comment

Working...
                                X