Muslim businessman sells his house after VHP protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslim businessman sells his house after VHP protest

AHMEDABAD: A Muslim businessman sold off his house in a Hindu majority locality in the sanatorium area of Bhavnagar city apparently after a protest by the right wing Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) here.

"A Muslim businessman had purchased property worth lakhs of rupees in a Hindu-dominated locality in the Sanatorium area of Bhavnagar city, after which the VHP launched a protest.

Programmes like singing of Ram dhuns and Ram bhajans were organized after which the businessman finally sold off his property (house)," VHP's Bhavnagar city president S D Jani said.

A year ago, VHP international president Pravin Togadia had allegedly advised VHP members and other residents of that area to insult Muslims to make them vacate their properties in areas dominated by the majority community.

Jani, who resides in the Meghani Circle area of Bhavnagar claimed that Togadia had stayed at his residence when he made those inflammatory remarks.

"Our people had represented before him (Togadia) that Muslims are buying houses in our areas. So he told them to organize Ram Dhun and Ram Bhajan on loudspeakers in front of the Muslim businessman's house. Our people did that and finally the Muslim businessman sold off his property," Jani claimed.

Bohri Muslim businessman Ali Asghar Zaveri, who deals in scrap refused to make any comments on the issue.

When asked about whether he was forced to sell his house under pressure from religious outfits, he said, he was "busy".

According to Chetan Kamdar of Bhavnagar-based real estate firm 'Bhumit Associates', who purchased the house, they bought it as per market rate and they are not aware about the fact that the Muslim businessman was pressurized by some religious outfits.

"We bought his house for around Rs 55 lakh, which is in accordance with the prevailing market price, while he (Zaveri) had purchased it a year ago for about Rs 44 lakh. We got to know of this property from a city-based broker and so we purchased Zaveri's plot as well as an adjacent plot," Kamdar told .

"We were not aware about any pressure from religious outfits. Both the parties are happy with the deal. So it was done accordingly," Kamdar said.

Source
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Expected? or Ironic?
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

25% in one year is a good return I would take that. He was lucky normally in a area dominated by one religion no one sells a property to another religion.

He was stupid as well normally no one buys property in a area dominated by another religion.

And that's India, those who say its secular are plain stupid. BJP or Congress this Muslim guy would have had to sell off his property.

Comment

Originally posted by kuku View Post
        And that's India, those who say its secular are plain stupid. BJP or Congress this Muslim guy would have had to sell off his property.
        I would say certain parts of the country are more sensitive than others aka have a history of communal strife. More polarised.

Which means the rest of the country is not as sensitive. And THAT is India.

It can work in a similar way with castes as well where you won't be able to buy into an area if you're from the rival caste. However otherwise there is no issue muslim or not.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 09 Apr 15,, 01:11.

Comment

On the other side of the coin we can see what happened when one community successfully pushes in.
          When the muslim influx started into Bangalore after the mumbai riots, they pushed into the traditional christian areas of old Bangalore.
          Beautiful places like Cook town, Cox town, Frazer Town, Banaswadi.
          They kicked us in the nuts and made us the aliens. The whole place has been destroyed and a typical ghetto created.
          One by one they forced everyone to sell their houses and move.
          For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Broad brush strokes there bolo. The old properties were converted into multi storey appartments, There was a credit bubble or this would not have happened. Picked up in the last ten years. It started around the nineties, boom, bust and so on.
            Bolo, is not too wrong, a similar case is seen in the suburb of Bandra (W), where a lot of gulf returned muslims purchased properties. A mix of gang land developers and regular commercial reasons has changed Bandra.
            Last edited by lemontree; 17 Aug 15,, 09:36.

Comment

Originally posted by kuku View Post
              25% in one year is a good return I would take that. He was lucky normally in a area dominated by one religion no one sells a property to another religion.

He was stupid as well normally no one buys property in a area dominated by another religion.

I have to agree. This is something found all over India. That guy made a mistake. Honestly, if I have enough, do I buy a penthouse in KSA or Bandra Kurla Complex?
              Last edited by Oracle; 10 Apr 15,, 17:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                Broad brush strokes there bolo. The old properties were converted into multi storey appartments, There was a credit bubble or this would not have happened. Picked up in the last ten years. It started around the nineties, boom, bust and so on.

Owners are free to sell to whomever they choose. Is there land grabbing and fraud going on ? i've heard of a few cases where children were abroad and aging parents got conned.

Many sell to developers who keep half the flats and give the rest to the owners. Anyone is free to move in if they can afford the asking price which is no where near ghetto level.

One way for a good street to lose value is if people exceed building plans, not keeping setbacks from the walls etc. So you end up with cheapish buildings because they land cost so much and they build very close to the walls. Then try to regularise by paying a fine to the city council to get that valuable occupancy cert without which you can't sell anything. Rinse & repeat and a once lush street looks less so. You mean to tell me only muslims do this ?

Cheaper areas will be exploited, many people living under one roof. Not paying taxes.

Do you realise what you're asking for. In the us depending on where you live if you don't mow your lawn, you get busy bodies telling you off because the street is losing value. Don't allow your clothes to be visible from the balcony as it makes the place look cheap. Don't do this don't do that etc etc. etc. Resident welfare association getting ever powerful with the power to sue you

Cause we've never had any of that crap. But people think a collective is useful in pushing for the common good. That definition depending on its management is subject to change.
                Yes I do agree that after the Anglo Indian population of Bangalore left for Australia and other western places, there was a real estate gap.

For me I cant be that detached and shrug it away.
                These places were home, they were where so many of my friends and family lived grew up and now I cant recognize a single street.
                So many trees cut, so many gracious old homes demolished and stuffed with illegal multi storey hovels.
                Eating joints and commercial establishments overrunning quiet residential streets.
                Worst of all the squalor and dirtiness, not like the neat quiet residential areas they were.

Now when I walk down those roads to visit the few relatives who refused to sell and see the hostile bearded stares, it is depressing and saddening.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                  For me I cant be that detached and shrug it away.
                  These places were home, they were where so many of my friends and family lived grew up and now I cant recognize a single street.
                  So many trees cut, so many gracious old homes demolished and stuffed with illegal multi storey hovels.
                  Eating joints and commercial establishments overrunning quiet residential streets.
                  Worst of all the squalor and dirtiness, not like the neat quiet residential areas they were.

Now when I walk down those roads to visit the few relatives who refused to sell and see the hostile bearded stares, it is depressing and saddening.
                  You might want to read this thread because i've heard what you just said before.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/int...-not-work.html

never been on the receiving end have you ;)

want a place to live but they won't let you because umm, you ain't the right colour. Can't get into a decent grammar school otherwise. The sixties & seventies were lots of fun for up and coming immigrants in the UK.

Cities do not remain static they are organic and change with time.

A street if people want to protect their investments organise in ways to do so. Same with appt associations. Some places will not accept dogs, because they're a nuisance and foul up the place. You want a pet find a place that is ok with it.

LT was complaining that in some places they would not sell to him because he's non-veg. For someone in the army its quite a shock because all the Indian military pray under one roof.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 10 Apr 15,, 14:39.

Comment

You might want to read this thread

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/int...-not-work.html

never been on the receiving end have you ;)

want a place to live but they won't let you because umm, you ain't the right colour. Can't get into a decent grammar school otherwise. The sixties & seventies were lots of fun for up and coming immigrants in the UK.

Cities do not remain static they are organic and change with time.

A street if people want to protect their investments organise in ways to do so. Same with appt associations. Some places will not accept dogs, because they're a nuisance and foul up the place. You want a pet find a place that is ok with it.
                    I have been to the UK, hated London but Scotland was gorgeous.
                    The friend who took me round london also took me to eat Indian (actually pakistani Tandoori) food at the immigrant heavy places.
                    It was amazing, all of a sudden i felt like I was in the muslim areas of Delhi or Hyderbad, the same uneasy vibe the same heavy sullen overtones.
                    I have been on the receiving end from the English but less so from the scottish (since i never went to glasgow).

In any case the situation is not quite analogous. There are many places in Bangalore for that particular community.
                    I begrudge them pushing us out of our particular spot.
                    The Hindus have numbers and political heft and so defended their areas better.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                      I have been to the UK, hated London but Scotland was gorgeous.
                      The friend who took me round london also took me to eat Indian (actually pakistani Tandoori) food at the immigrant heavy places.
                      It was amazing, all of a sudden i felt like I was in the muslim areas of Delhi or Hyderbad, the same uneasy vibe the same heavy sullen overtones.
                      I have been on the receiving end from the English but less so from the scottish (since i never went to glasgow).

In any case the situation is not quite analogous. There are many places in Bangalore for that particular community.
                      The Hindus have numbers and political heft and so defended their areas better.
                      Bolo, your community was forced to move out? Threats, intimidation etc?

One thing that has been happening and still happens is the coming up of settlements (huts) almost over a couple of weeks. I'm taking about Assam in particular. We used to drive around and booze and all we saw on both sides of the road were paddy fields and 1 or 2 huts for long stretches. 3-6 months down the line, there would be as many as 15-25 huts there. They have ration cards, voter IDs. Where do they come from no one really knows. Bangladesh is the most possible explanation. I see no reason why anyone would migrate from one paddy field to another.

Crimes have increased exponentially in my hometown. And to be fair, it's not just the illegal Muslims from Bangladesh, but the illegal Hindus too who are into crime. The state politicians don't care, as for Congress they form the major votebank. The only mis-calculation these illegals made was to piss off the tribals. Assam and some of the NE states would be seeing a lot of bloodbath in the coming years.

Comment

I would say certain parts of the country are more sensitive than others aka have a history of communal strife. More polarised.

Which means the rest of the country is not as sensitive. And THAT is India.

It can work in a similar way with castes as well where you won't be able to buy into an area if you're from the rival caste. However otherwise there is no issue muslim or not.
                        Most parts of India I've been to are like that, divisions will move from religion to caste or some other.

Comment

i never sensed that in an asian area. Asian do's can be different, depending on the venue or clientele. gangs go around.

You want uneasy vibe, hang out just after pub closing time in the city centre. Lots of drunken yoofs around. lots of police vans too.

can you substantiate. You make it sound like people were forced to sell.

In any case the situation is not quite analogous.
                          RSM had the same sentiment about asians in the UK. fine, you don't have to like me, but if you stop me when i can buy in then that is something else. It got so bad over there that the govt passed anti-discrimination laws in the 70s.
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 10 Apr 15,, 23:44.

Comment

i never sensed that in an asian area. Asian do's can be different, depending on the venue or clientele. gangs go around.

You want uneasy vibe, hang out just after pub closing time in the city centre. Lots of drunken yoofs around. lots of police vans too.

can you substantiate. You make it sound like people were forced to sell.

RSM had the same sentiment about asians in the UK. fine, you don't have to like me, but if you stop me when i can buy in then that is something else. It got so bad over there that the govt passed anti-discrimination laws in the 70s.
                            Hehe I remember the pubs. First they all get shitfaced, then puke all over the city center and then the fights get started.
                            Show a student id card and a pint was 0.7 GBP.
                            We always legged it by 1 AM, if you stayed until close at 330 it was much more chancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                              Bolo, your community was forced to move out? Threats, intimidation etc?

One thing that has been happening and still happens is the coming up of settlements (huts) almost over a couple of weeks. I'm taking about Assam in particular. We used to drive around and booze and all we saw on both sides of the road were paddy fields and 1 or 2 huts for long stretches. 3-6 months down the line, there would be as many as 15-25 huts there. They have ration cards, voter IDs. Where do they come from no one really knows. Bangladesh is the most possible explanation. I see no reason why anyone would migrate from one paddy field to another.

Crimes have increased exponentially in my hometown. And to be fair, it's not just the illegal Muslims from Bangladesh, but the illegal Hindus too who are into crime. The state politicians don't care, as for Congress they form the major votebank. The only mis-calculation these illegals made was to piss off the tribals. Assam and some of the NE states would be seeing a lot of bloodbath in the coming years.
                              It was plain old money power.
                              My parents used to say that the leaving of the anglo indians reduced real estate prices.
                              These guys had a lot of money and were always ready to pay more. People behaved short shortsightedly and greedily as usual.
                              Before you know it its suddenly not your place anymore.
                              Once they were significant in numbers they would coordinate and slowly buy up an entire area by restricting other buyers and paying a bit more to sweeten the deal.
                              The outright hinting and harassment began only in the 2000s when they had completely taken over.

Comment

Working...
                              X