No announcement yet.

Indian government furious at BBC over broadcast of gang-rape documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'India's Daughter' was originally sold as Delhi, the rape capital of the world

Comment

• When the documentary India's Daughter was sold, it was marketed as Delhi- the rape capital of the world. A documentary which was not meant to be commercialized is alleged to have raised funds by giving a sensational title, investigations have found.
      They don't seem to reval anything more than assert it. I call BS.

Officials not getting clips has been explained in the clip posted on the first page. They're covering their asses, isn't it natural. of course you blame the one party who can't be touched cos um she's not in country to save your own.

Originally posted by commander View Post
      I watched her clip and only said she would start with her country's unavoidable high number of rape cases as well.
      I recall her saying she was involved in projects about sexual violence in East London and south Africa BEFORE this one. She then says did i do that to give South africa a bad name.

There is something that has to be said here. We're shooting ourselves in the foot. On the one hand we don't like that people say we have a rape problem on the other we take a producer who documents a particular incident to task because its deemed offensive.

it makes the point to the world real clear that a rape victim has an even harder time proving her self. Because the damn govt got involved (!)

She has set an example we should aspire to. Only a foreigner can do that and get away with it. Why ?

The university scrambling to publish an explanation/apology plus the prof's interview to NewsMinute are proof that this was 100% genuine. If you were hinting about her network of prof's to deny entry.. well that is up for speculation atleast now. Even this story broke out only very late and this guy was the second student that was refused. Another guy came forward saying he was denied entry on the same grounds.
      I saw the university scrambling to set the record straight, things have a tendency to snowball beyond recognition online. Everything is faster and magnified.

How do you know its 100% genuine ? all i see are email grabs and then it becomes a story on its own.

I find it really hard to believe that a prof in Germany is going to deny students a seat because she thinks they are personally responsible for every rape that occurred and is yet to occur in India.

I think this guy pissed her off and that is why she replied the way she did. She did not want people with this kind of attitude etc. Which then gets turned into i was denied a seat... What do his views have to do with the subject he is going to study ? nothing. so this is unprofessional on her part.

Cannot expect to have a objective discussion with a woman on rape. I don't think this is possible with most women :) Women i speak to in my family re: death penalty i could not get one to agree. They did not have a counter to what i said which comes from a supreme court lawyer but if you asked the question ? all of them would say a rapist should get death. clearly its emotional and not rational.

So its also not wise on this applicants part to go remotely near this subject with a woman of all people. One of those top ten things you do not discuss with your boss.

I understood it that even if the Wife sleeps around she can't be held accountable, i.e. when another married man elops with another man's wife. Then only the guy is punishable under adultery law and not the women involved. Aren't I correct ???
      Have not read the entire law but my understanding is that the wife of the guy that eloped won't be held responsible. It follows then that a husband of an adulterous wife can't be held responsible for his wife's errant ways either. In which the guy she elopes with will be held responsible if he happens to be married.

I watch his debates for entertainment and not for substance
      You're not the only one. That is why that twat is still on air.
      Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Mar 15,, 10:35.

Comment

• Originally posted by commander View Post

Close to 30 Lakh Toilets Built Under Swachh Bharat Drive: Govt

Things are happening which were forgotten by the previous government. My point is the legitimate scare of these NGO's being used to fracture India's march to development. NGO's are a necessity but like 600:1 ratio ?? Can't a single NGO for one cause be more effective than a thousand clobbering over one issue ? Also there were IB reports that explained how SOME of these NGO's are being used for money laundering like in WB. I am not against NGO's as a whole. The biggest Irony is that Greenpeace is banned in Canada,where it was formed. LOL.
        Your trust in the IB is touching.

Since you are into conspiracy theories, here is one for you. Nitin Gadkari enjoys the hospitality of the Essar Group, incidentally the same ones against whom Priya Pillai was not allowed to speak out. Connect the dots...

Don't want to derail this thread further from the original issue, but would like to point out that the lack of interest came from the very stringent laws to do any business at all. A corrupt bureaucratic system plus constant agitations against everything has brought the country to it's knees.
        Since you brought up the point, please explain your position. How does lack of funding or lack of promoter interest have anything to do with stringent laws? You have already made the choice to invest and have gone ahead. Why would you abandon it? Because it may not be profitable enough for you. May have nothing to do with laws
        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by commander View Post
          I dont take these guys seriously. Dogs bark in the street when I travel and doesn't mean I give a hoot about the dogs now am I ? These idiots are pampering their local khap panchayats or something similar who act as vote banks. Once they are disbanded and are taken care of we will see less and less of these garbs.
          And what about those who have to live under these Khaps

LOL, have I got any kind of pull I would have already done that. But my question is why isn't the media or so called liberal brigade even try to counter with neutral view ?? not a one sided view but atleast a neutral view of what's the state ?? Isn't why they are in that industry ?
          They are there to make money, same as everyone else
          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• I have to question the incessant highlighting of rapes in India by the media in the West. It seems dodgy, when unfortunately such crimes happen around the world. The fact that the original rape incident in Delhi triggered mass national protests, or that many women form the backbone of Indian entreurprenership and banking, among other things is being overlooked, perhaps deliberately.

No-one denies the need for considerable introspection on routine misogyny, particularly in the North of India, but there does seem to be an effort to paint India as the 'rape capital' of the world when statistics per capita clearly show otherwise. This lopsided focus seems to be bizarre.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duellist View Post
              I have to question the incessant highlighting of rapes in India by the media in the West.
              If it sells they will do it. No other way to explain it. They will find other more exciting news from yet another exotic destination to bombard you with tomorrow.

now if people are going to swallow it wholesale its their problem not ours. But you guys don't do that. Polls i see are like 30% of people believe what they read in the papers. That figure is like 70% in India. So Indians are twice as likely to believe things they read about the west than you guys are about India. How often does India make the news in your part of the world any way.
              Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Mar 15,, 01:04.

Comment

• The Turbanator wrote:
                How often does India make the news in your part of the world any way.
                Not often. It's India so know one really gives a shit, that said, these rape cases have been widely reported yet not much was said bout that space thing you lot accomplished not so long ago.

Comment

• People are more interested in what goes on locally and then there is the 'weird shit that happens somewhere in the world' section

Its the same in India or other places i've lived in, talk about something that happens elsewhere and unless people know the place or are interested you've lost them after three sentences. Or they'll repeat what they heard and its mostly contrived nonsense. Most of the time it isn't worth countering.

As for news reporting on rape in india its more common than it would be five years back. What i'm finding new is more reporting on sexual harrassment cases now involving older guys. That is still a grey area in India.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Mar 15,, 11:08.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                    If it sells they will do it. No other way to explain it. They will find other more exciting news from yet another exotic destination to bombard you with tomorrow.

now if people are going to swallow it wholesale its their problem not ours. But you guys don't do that. Polls i see are like 30% of people believe what they read in the papers. That figure is like 70% in India. So Indians are twice as likely to believe things they read about the west than you guys are about India. How often does India make the news in your part of the world any way.
                    It has been over 2 years since the incident, and it almost seems as if each new case makes the Western media in a big way. This doesn't happen with rape cases in the West- the UK is in the midst of its' own abuse scandals, yet the focus happens to be on cases in far away India.

When was the last time an Indian achievement, in say, space was highlighted in the same way? You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to contemplate the possibility of agenda driven reporting here.

Comment

It has been over 2 years since the incident, and it almost seems as if each new case makes the Western media in a big way. This doesn't happen with rape cases in the West- the UK is in the midst of its' own abuse scandals, yet the focus happens to be on cases in far away India.

When was the last time an Indian achievement, in say, space was highlighted in the same way? You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to contemplate the possibility of agenda driven reporting here.
                      While rape does happen all over I can't recall any which involved a gang rape and using an iron rod to force up her vagina and tear her intestines apart. That does make it stand apart which is why it made the press and rightfully so.

Comment

Slow news days ?

tankie posted that thread about 1500 girls being abused near Sheffield. Never heard about it my side.

When i was in the US, you'd get the crappiest UK serials on bbc world. Stereotypical, hackneyed this is what the english are like. The good stuff never made it over. Wouldn't sell. Cultural differences (!)

Thankfully the internet took over and now people can bypass major networks no matter where they live. No longer need to live in the country where the broadcast was made.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                          While rape does happen all over I can't recall any which involved a gang rape and using an iron rod to force up her vagina and tear her intestines apart. That does make it stand apart which is why it made the press and rightfully so.
                          While I agree that the horrific nature of the above case merited the level of attention, I was referring to the way that seemingly every major rape incident in India since then is being reported by major international news outlets, when similar domestic cases are barely even mentioned.

Cactus,

I agree with you that there is a severe law and order problem in India, but there is also a disturbing backdrop of severe misogyny. Coming from a country where there is a severe gender imbalance due to abortion of female foetuses in many areas, this is not so surprising. Part of the reason the police are so poor at preventing this kind of incident, besides the obvious corruption, is the overly misogynistic attitudes that both they and many of their political masters in places like Delhi exhibit.

Comment

• While I agree that the horrific nature of the above case merited the level of attention, I was referring to the way that seemingly every major rape incident in India since then is being reported by major international news outlets, when similar domestic cases are barely even mentioned.
                            Gang raping a 70 year old nun might interest readers...

Nun, Who Tried To Prevent Robbery, Gang Raped In India
                            March 14, 201511:06 AM ET
                            Krishnadev Calamur
                            Twitter

A septuagenarian nun in the eastern Indian state of West Bengal has been gang raped by a group of men after she tried to stop them from robbing a missionary school.

News reports say the six men entered the Convent of Jesus and Mary school in Ranaghat, about 50 miles northeast of Kolkata, the state capital, early Saturday. After overpowering the school's guards, they raped the nun — whose reported age ranges from 70 to 74 — and escaped with money, a laptop and a mobile phone.

The nun was taken to a hospital where she is said to be in stable condition.

Angry students and their parents blocked trains and roads in protest against the incident.

"Christians in Bengal are deeply anguished by the shameful act of violence on an elderly and ailing religious sister at Ranaghat," Archbishop Thomas D'Souza, archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Kolkata, said in a statement. "We would like to register our horror and shock at this barbaric act which has occurred in our tolerant and inclusive state of West Bengal."

Mamata Banerjee, the state's chief minister (roughly equivalent in power to the governor of a U.S. state), condemned the attack as a "horrific crime" and ordered an investigation.

The Associated Press has more on the backdrop to this rape:

"India has a long history of tolerance for sexual violence, but the December 2012 fatal gang rape of a 23-year-old woman aboard a moving bus in New Delhi caused outrage across the nation.

"The outcry led the federal government to rush legislation doubling prison terms for rapists to 20 years and criminalizing voyeurism, stalking and the trafficking of women. The law also makes it a crime for officers to refuse to open cases when complaints are made."
                            Nun, Who Tried To Prevent Robbery, Gang Raped In India : The Two-Way : NPR
                            Last edited by troung; 16 Mar 15,, 00:00.
                            To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

• Rebuttal from Leslie.

Guess where Jaitley was over the week end :)

We made Charlie
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Mar 15,, 01:10.

Comment

• Every 2 months, someone has to post these statistics and remind the people to calm down for a reality check

Rank / Country / Rapes per 100,000 people (2009)
                                1 South Africa 138.5
                                2 Botswana 88.5
                                3 Lesotho 82.7
                                4 Sweden 63.8
                                5 Grenada 54.8
                                6 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 49.4
                                7 Costa Rica 36.7
                                8 Bahamas 32.2
                                9 Saint Kitts and Nevis 30.9
                                10 United States of America 29
                                11 Australia 29
                                12 Belgium 27.7
                                13 United Kingdom (England and Wales) 27.5
                                14 New Zealand 26.1
                                15 Jamaica 25.5
                                16 Barbados 24.9
                                17 Iceland 24.7
                                18 United Kingdom (Northern Ireland) 23.6
                                19 Peru 23.5
                                20 Panama 23.4
                                21 Norway 20.6
                                22 Bolivia (Plurinational State of) 20.4
                                23 Trinidad and Tobago 18.5
                                24 United Kingdom (Scotland) 17
                                25 France 16.2
                                26 Mexico 13.3
                                27 Finland 12.4
                                28 El Salvador 12.3
                                29 Mongolia 12.2
                                30 Netherlands 11.2
                                31 Belize 9.8
                                32 Austria 9.3
                                33 Estonia 9.2
                                34 Germany 8.9
                                35 Switzerland 8.7
                                36 Ireland 8.5
                                37 Guyana 8.2
                                38 Colombia 7.8
                                39 Republic of Moldova 7.3
                                40 Thailand 6.8
                                41 Denmark 6.4
                                42 Philippines 6.3
                                43 Senegal 5.9
                                44 Kyrgyzstan 5.7
                                45 Morocco 4.8
                                46 Romania 4.7
                                47 Czech Republic 4.6
                                48 Kuwait 4.5
                                49 Lithuania 4.5
                                50 Spain 4.5
                                51 Mauritius 4.4
                                52 Poland 4
                                53 Slovenia 3.9
                                54 Russian Federation 3.8
                                55 Portugal 3.5
                                56 Bulgaria 3.3
                                57 Latvia 3.1
                                58 Guatemala 2.9
                                59 Croatia 2.9
                                60 Malta 2.9
                                61 Slovakia 2.6
                                62 Cyprus 2.5
                                63 Belarus 2.3
                                64 Hungary 2.3
                                65 Kenya 2.1
                                66 Uganda 1.9
                                67 Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China 1.9
                                68 Georgia 1.9
                                69 Greece 1.9
                                70 India 1.8
                                71 Ukraine 1.7
                                72 Canada 1.4
                                73 Japan 1.1
                                74 Albania 1.1
                                75 Serbia 1.1
                                76 Yemen 0.8
                                77 Bosnia and Herzegovina 0.8
                                78 Tajikistan 0.5
                                79 Armenia 0.5
                                80 Azerbaijan 0.4
                                81 Mozambique 0.2

If anyone has noticed this, any culture that follows variations of honour codes, rank at the bottom of the list in rape statistics. Most muslim countries don't even make it to the list. Saudi arabia is probably the most safest place for women on earth

A quote which manifests itself in statistics
                                Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                                The law doesn't protect. It never does. The law punishes. It is that fear of punishment that protects.
                                The international media seems to have a hard grudge with india. The home ministry needs to sit down with them and ask them what they want.
                                Last edited by anil; 16 Mar 15,, 11:34.

Comment

Working...
                                X