Fidayeen Boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fidayeen Boat?

“As per the intelligence inputs received on 31st December, a fishing boat from KetiBunder near Karachi was planning some illicit transaction in Arabian Sea. Based on the input, Coast Guard Dornier aircraft undertook sea — air coordinated search and located the suspect fishing boat. Thereafter, the Coast Guard ship on patrol in area was diverted and intercepted the unlit boat at about midnight of 31st December in position 365 km West-South West of Porbandar,” the release added.

“The Coast Guard ship warned the fishing boat to stop for further investigation of the crew and cargo; however, the boat increased speed and tried to escape away from the Indian side of maritime boundary. The hot pursuit continued for nearly one hour and the Coast Guard ship managed to stop the fishing boat after firing warning shots. Four persons were seen on the boat who disregarded all warnings by the Coast Guard ship to stop and cooperate with investigation. Soon thereafter, the crew hid themselves in below deck compartment and set the boat on fire, which resulted in explosion and major fire on the boat.

“Due to darkness, bad weather and strong winds, the boat and persons on board could not be saved or recovered. The boat burnt and sank in the same position, in early hours of 1st January. Coast Guard ships and aircraft are continuing operations in area to search for any possible survivor. Coast Guard and other security agencies are maintaining high vigil in maritime and coastal areas since last couple of months due to several inputs on threat from the sea.”
    They blew themselves up when surrounded
    Any thoughts?

Last edited by anil; 02 Jan 15,, 19:11.

The boat didn't blow itself up, hear it from horses mouth:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TSHO2Sh1ITk

Comment

Coast Guard DIG: I said at night, blow the Pak boat off, we don’t want to serve them biryani

Directly contradicting the government’s position, a Deputy Inspector General of the Coast Guard said Monday that it was the Coast Guard which blew up the Pakistani boat on the night of December 31, 2014. And that he was the one who ordered: “Blow the boat off…We don’t want to serve them biryani…”

This is the first time that the Coast Guard — in remarks that were recorded — has admitted that it destroyed the suspect boat which, the government claimed, had blown itself up under suspicious circumstances.

Statements and remarks by the MoD, Defence Minister and the Coast Guard had said the boat’s crew had set it on fire or were responsible for the explosion that destroyed the boat 365 miles off Porbandar after an hour-long chase by a Coast Guard ship on New Year’s Eve.

The Indian Express had reported that intelligence and naval sources had said that evidence suggested “use of disproportionate force” by the Coast Guard. The sources also said the videotape of the burning boat did not appear to show that explosives were on board.

The government’s version is now belied by remarks made by DIG B K Loshali — he is also Chief of Staff (North West Region), Coast Guard, Gandhinagar — at a gathering of officials from the Coast Guard and Larsen & Toubro during the launch of Coast Guard interceptor boat ICGS C-421, designed and built by L&T, Surat.

Loshali was speaking in the presence of Coast Guard DIG Sudhir Sahni, in-charge of refit and production; and G Sethy, Deputy Commandant, who are based in Surat. The interceptor boat was formally launched by Loshali’s wife Ira Loshali on the L&T premises at Hazira.

“Let me tell you,” he said, “I hope you remember 31st December night… we blew off that Pakistan… We have blown them off… I was there at Gandhinagar and I told at night, blow the boat off. We don’t want to serve them biryani…”

Loshali began his speech saying, “Mujhe speech di gayi thi lekin main mann se baat karoonga (I was given a (written) speech, but I shall speak my mind).”

So far the Ministry of Defence and Coast Guard have been saying that the purported Pakistani fishing boat due for an “illicit transaction at sea” and identified later as Qalandar, had blown itself up.

Blow the Pak boat off, we don

Comment

Actually, everyone is pretty much confused about the whole affair. We don't know if the guys were terrorists or smugglers.

As far as the claims by a the CG officer, I have serious doubts on the veracity.

Reasons: See the picture of the burning boat.
        The Coast Guard vessels are armed with 1 x CRN-91 30 mm auto cannon.

The boat in question is a typical wooden boat fishing vessel that is found commonly in the west coast of the sub-continent.
        A burst from the CG's 30 mm cannon would rip apart the boat and sink it rather fast.

As far as most in India are concerned, those men were not innocent fishermen, as no Pakistani fishing village or family has claimed the men to be theirs.
        So we can be quite sure that we hit some really bad men.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Coast guard sees the boat, boat won't respond and tries to evade. Weather is bad and they can't afford to lose the boat. So they fire and the matter ends there.

Why this guy has spoken out of turn is odd. Who is hounding him that he has to go running to the media for cover.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 19 Feb 15,, 19:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo View Post
            Coast Guard DIG: I said at night, blow the Pak boat off, we don’t want to serve them biryani

Directly contradicting the government’s position, a Deputy Inspector General of the Coast Guard said Monday that it was the Coast Guard which blew up the Pakistani boat on the night of December 31, 2014. And that he was the one who ordered: “Blow the boat off…We don’t want to serve them biryani…”

This is the first time that the Coast Guard — in remarks that were recorded — has admitted that it destroyed the suspect boat which, the government claimed, had blown itself up under suspicious circumstances.

Statements and remarks by the MoD, Defence Minister and the Coast Guard had said the boat’s crew had set it on fire or were responsible for the explosion that destroyed the boat 365 miles off Porbandar after an hour-long chase by a Coast Guard ship on New Year’s Eve.

The Indian Express had reported that intelligence and naval sources had said that evidence suggested “use of disproportionate force” by the Coast Guard. The sources also said the videotape of the burning boat did not appear to show that explosives were on board.

The government’s version is now belied by remarks made by DIG B K Loshali — he is also Chief of Staff (North West Region), Coast Guard, Gandhinagar — at a gathering of officials from the Coast Guard and Larsen & Toubro during the launch of Coast Guard interceptor boat ICGS C-421, designed and built by L&T, Surat.

Loshali was speaking in the presence of Coast Guard DIG Sudhir Sahni, in-charge of refit and production; and G Sethy, Deputy Commandant, who are based in Surat. The interceptor boat was formally launched by Loshali’s wife Ira Loshali on the L&T premises at Hazira.

“Let me tell you,” he said, “I hope you remember 31st December night… we blew off that Pakistan… We have blown them off… I was there at Gandhinagar and I told at night, blow the boat off. We don’t want to serve them biryani…”

Loshali began his speech saying, “Mujhe speech di gayi thi lekin main mann se baat karoonga (I was given a (written) speech, but I shall speak my mind).”

So far the Ministry of Defence and Coast Guard have been saying that the purported Pakistani fishing boat due for an “illicit transaction at sea” and identified later as Qalandar, had blown itself up.

Blow the Pak boat off, we don
            Do administrative officers of DIG rank get involved in Ops like this? Forget India, does this even happen in Pakistan.

One idiot blowing his mouth off does not prove anything.

That, and the technical info from Captain LT. Does a CRN-91 blow up a wooden boat or shreds it apart.
            Feel free to answer. Or not...
            "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

My two cents: the people on the boat probably set the boat on fire out of panic. The coasties declined to rescue them, as the smugglers were probably planning on if they were to get caught. Guy goes out to media and tries to look tough.

Bottomline line: discouragement to other would-be smugglers that the free ride and rescue ferry has discontinued services.
              "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                My two cents: the people on the boat probably set the boat on fire out of panic. The coasties declined to rescue them, as the smugglers were probably planning on if they were to get caught. Guy goes out to media and tries to look tough.

Bottomline line: discouragement to other would-be smugglers that the free ride and rescue ferry has discontinued services.
                As per Defence Minister of India the smugglers in that route had always surrendered when they came face to face with the Coast Guard or Indian Navy. Also the route used by this particular boat is very dubious because as per many analysts that debated on this issue in India media suggested smugglers normally travel within the well travelled fishing routes and pose as one of India's. Like 26/11. So the theory of a drug smuggling just doesn't make sense.

Comment

No way to tell as all that is shown in news clips is a boat on fire but they do not show how the boat caught on fire. Really useless actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                    No way to tell as all that is shown in news clips is a boat on fire but they do not show how the boat caught on fire. Really useless actually.
                    Not entirely useless,

1. The video clearly shows the blasting a 'innocent' fishermen to smithereens claim debunked. The boat was clearly engulfed in fire and I didn't see any hubris floating around it.
                    2. The CG ship maintained a decent distance and I am not sure if it's a standard procedure for the coast guards to film every chase from the beginning and I believe in this case it was very dark and the CG would have only noticed after they saw the fire and understand what was happening and as soon as the terrorists started the fire people scrambled to capture the video.

Comment

Originally posted by commander View Post
                      1. The video clearly shows the blasting a 'innocent' fishermen to smithereens claim debunked. The boat was clearly engulfed in fire and I didn't see any hubris floating around it.
                      Why was the video put up in the first place ? Some people were accusing the CG.

I don't understand what the issue is, OP's post explains it. Why won't the matter rest there.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 20 Feb 15,, 23:23.

Comment

Originally posted by commander View Post
                        As per Defence Minister of India the smugglers in that route had always surrendered when they came face to face with the Coast Guard or Indian Navy. Also the route used by this particular boat is very dubious because as per many analysts that debated on this issue in India media suggested smugglers normally travel within the well travelled fishing routes and pose as one of India's. Like 26/11. So the theory of a drug smuggling just doesn't make sense.
                        I didn't say anything about drugs...
                        "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                          I didn't say anything about drugs...
                          Sorry, since you said smugglers I assumed it was drug smuggling. IMHO if there was anything else that being smuggled like 'Diesel' or Gold etc I don't think it would have needed burning the boat down and basically leaving himself stranded in the middle of sea.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            Why was the video put up in the first place ? Some people were accusing the CG.

I don't understand what the issue is, OP's post explains it. Why won't the matter rest there.
                            The 'Praveen Swami's of India and the congress were after GoI like sharks after blood. They were so bleeding their hearts out for the Pakistani's just to score some brownie points. The media was basically asking to reveal everything before. Those pimps are disgusting that after the GoI released the video most didn't even speak about it nor the Praveen Swami wrote a counter claiming they were diesel smugglers. Pathetic and are giving Pakistan a stick to beat us with like 26/11 when these same Congress claimed different which is a legend.

Comment

As people living in a free country we are entitled to demand an explanation whenever our govt does anything. That's a given. People not trusting and always questioning the govt is healthy. Critical requirement to remaining free so never forget it.

The govt having done so and empowered to act in this particular situation means the story is over. They asked, the govt replied. Loshali was a bit blunt but his job is to keep the coasts under his watch safe and when unidentified vessels approach he then has to investigate. Fleeing isn't an option. Warning shots fired. Ample chances offered to surrender. We don't do death squads.

You can question the govt version but its not getting very far. If it appears like an appeasement to Pakistan who has not let out a peep so far then it signals to them that were are open to deal. Add this one to apology extracted from the army over the killing of those two boys in Kashmir back in Nov.
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Feb 15,, 12:00.

Comment

Working...
                              X