Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama to be chief guest at India's 2015 Republic Day

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Obama to be chief guest at India's 2015 Republic Day

    Obama to be chief guest at 2015 Republic Day

    He will be the first US President to participate in the Indian Republic Day celebration in New Delhi as the Chief Guest.

    In a major sign of the deepening ties between India and the US, Prime Minister Modi has invited President Obama to be the chief guest at the Republic Day ceremony next year. Sources told The Hindu that the invitation was delivered by Prime Minister Modi during his visit to Myanmar and Australia, when he met with President Obama at the East Asia summit and the G-20 meeting of world leaders.

    On Friday evening, shortly after receiving the official letter from the White House, Prime Minister Modi posted a message on Twitter to say, “This Republic Day, we hope to have a friend over…invited President Obama to be the 1st US President to grace the occasion as Chief Guest.”

    In response, the US National Security Council twitter account said, “@ invite of @narendramodi, President Obama will travel to #India in Jan 2015 to participate in Indian Republic Day celebration as Chief Guest.”

    A statement by the White House Press Secretary on the official website noted that this would “mark the first time a U.S. president will have the honour of attending Republic Day.”


    Kind of ironic, an American president watching a Soviet inspired demonstration of national unity and military might. He will be the first American president to attend the Republic day parade and the first President to visit India twice while in office.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Nothing to do with Modi nor India but the fuck is booking a holiday during the best time of a Russian winter offensive against the Ukraines?
    Chimo

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      Nothing to do with Modi nor India but the fuck is booking a holiday during the best time of a Russian winter offensive against the Ukraines?
      A more elaborate explanation requested sir?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
        Kind of ironic, an American president watching a Soviet inspired demonstration of national unity and military might. He will be the first American president to attend the Republic day parade and the first President to visit India twice while in office.
        Curious choice for republic day guest. Low key. What to make of it.

        Does this mean Obama won't be able to make a formal state visit before his term is up ?

        Was wondering whether we got a US ambassador yet, turns out we have, nominated a couple of months back.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 22 Nov 14,, 11:40.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          Nothing to do with Modi nor India but the fuck is booking a holiday during the best time of a Russian winter offensive against the Ukraines?
          You think Obama spending time in India trying to cultivate better ties with world's largest democracy and a booming economy on track to become 3rd largest economy in the world is a vacation?

          You don't understand the significance of being asked to be the Chief Guest of Honor during the India Republic Parade.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
            You don't understand the significance of being asked to be the Chief Guest of Honor during the India Republic Parade.
            It certainly ain't the War Room watching Russian columns crossing the Ukrainian border.
            Chimo

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              It certainly ain't the War Room watching Russian columns crossing the Ukrainian border.
              Well POTUS will have his Air Force One to manage the conflict and besides, I think you are exaggerating the Ukrainian conflict to pointlessly criticize Obama again. Obama and the White House can't drop everything and wait for the Ukrainian conflict to resolve itself. Life must go on and business must be carried on as usual.

              Comment


              • #8
                It's also the worst time of the year to be in north India. Obama will be choking on the smog in New Delhi as he watches the parade. Maybe they'll shut down a few kilns and coal plants in the area to reduce smog before the parade?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                  It's also the worst time of the year to be in north India. Obama will be choking on the smog in New Delhi as he watches the parade. Maybe they'll shut down a few kilns and coal plants in the area to reduce smog before the parade?
                  At least, Obama won't have to worry about the infamous Delhi heat. Last summer I went to Delhi, and it was a frigging boiler room.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                    Well POTUS will have his Air Force One to manage the conflict
                    India will not allow the US to manage a war from her soil or airspace. No country would allow that.

                    Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                    and besides, I think you are exaggerating the Ukrainian conflict to pointlessly criticize Obama again.
                    The build up is occurring and the one area where the Russians can easily tilt (and all indications are showing that) is winter warfare.

                    Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                    Obama and the White House can't drop everything and wait for the Ukrainian conflict to resolve itself. Life must go on and business must be carried on as usual.
                    And allow Putin another step ahead? This is now a proxy war and Putin is managing his proxies alot better than Obama.
                    Chimo

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i am curious though: what would he DO sitting in washington vice being in new delhi? is that really a deterrent to putin? moreover, does that mean outside of winter obama can't go anywhere for fear that putin will invade during Spring, Summer, and Autumn?

                      it might be a proxy war but as you've pointed out, it's not much of one given how ukraine lies outside of NATO. bottom-line Russia is willing to expend significant amounts of men and material on Ukraine, and the West is not, and that's that.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by astralis View Post
                        i am curious though: what would he DO sitting in washington vice being in new delhi?
                        For one thing, put a call to Putin saying we just saw that. For another, direct flights to buzz the border as we have done during Yugoslavia.

                        Originally posted by astralis View Post
                        is that really a deterrent to putin? moreover, does that mean outside of winter obama can't go anywhere for fear that putin will invade during Spring, Summer, and Autumn?
                        The spooks are saying that this is the best time for Russia to move. Summer, spring, and autumn, you have more leadway. At the very least, the Western Ukrainians can make a run for it in good order.

                        Originally posted by astralis View Post
                        it might be a proxy war but as you've pointed out, it's not much of one given how ukraine lies outside of NATO. bottom-line Russia is willing to expend significant amounts of men and material on Ukraine, and the West is not, and that's that.
                        No but we could and should be throwing a wrench into his gears every chance we get. We see his battalions moving. That's a good time to send the SECSTATE to the Ukraines for a visit with F-15s as an escourt.
                        Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 23 Nov 14,, 19:30.
                        Chimo

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          India will not allow the US to manage a war from her soil or airspace. No country would allow that.

                          The build up is occurring and the one area where the Russians can easily tilt (and all indications are showing that) is winter warfare.

                          And allow Putin another step ahead? This is now a proxy war and Putin is managing his proxies alot better than Obama.
                          And winter is about the only season they can break urban defenses.Cut heat,electricity and food and there is no reason to get in.
                          Their PSyops are busy painting the Ukrainians as heartless killers,who do just as a I said above.In effect creating enough anger in their people to do&support such actions.
                          Those who know don't speak
                          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            Curious choice for republic day guest. Low key. What to make of it.

                            Does this mean Obama won't be able to make a formal state visit before his term is up ?

                            Was wondering whether we got a US ambassador yet, turns out we have, nominated a couple of months back.
                            Curious indeed. Symbolic mostly though, I would imagine. It's the language used in the invitation that's indicative of the intent.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                              And winter is about the only season they can break urban defenses.Cut heat,electricity and food and there is no reason to get in.
                              The Ukrainians can't move in winter. The Russians can.

                              Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                              Their PSyops are busy painting the Ukrainians as heartless killers,who do just as a I said above.In effect creating enough anger in their people to do&support such actions.
                              It's a hell of a lot easier to counter what Putin can do vs what he will do. At this point, I rather shut down his options rather than to react to his moves.
                              Chimo

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X