This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Modi control his zealots?

My guess is that Modi does not care, as long as the people are polarized and vote or a "hindu" party.
    This is serious trampling of religious freedom in our country.

'Love Jihad' and Religious Conversions in Uttar Pradesh
    'Love Jihad' and Religious Conversions in Uttar Pradesh

Hasayan: Fired up and full of vitriol, Hindu activist Rajeshwar Singh is on a mission to end centuries of religious diversity in India, one conversion at a time.

His voice echoing off the walls of a Protestant church across a narrow street, Singh railed against foreign faiths at an event last week to convert a Christian family to Hinduism in Uttar Pradesh's Hasayan, 140 km south of Delhi.

"We will cleanse our Hindu society. We will not let the conspiracy of church or mosque succeed in Bharat (India)," he said, standing in the family's front yard by a ritual fire lit to purify the poor, lower-caste converts.

Singh is affiliated to the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), the vast nationalist volunteer organisation that aims to unify Hindus "to carry the nation to the pinnacle of glory".

The RSS brought Prime Minister Narendra Modi into politics as a young man and its foot soldiers helped cement his May election victory.

Emboldened by the sweeping victory, leaders of his Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) have joined right-wing activists to openly declare India a nation of Hindus, posing a challenge to its multi-faith constitutional commitment....
    At least I feel indicated now....just as I had been warning all along.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

India: Woman Accuses Husband of Torture and Forced Conversion to Islam in 'Love Jihad'

LT Sir, when things like one in the article above happen, religious nuts go crazy. I guess, the issue in India is predominantly in the North with the active collusion of Razakars.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

We all knew this would happen.
      As long as they support him and his policies I doubt Modi gives a crap.

Plus its sort of an insurance policy in case his economic revival doesn't work out as planned.
      A strongly polarized society is in his interest as re election would become guaranteed.
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

His voice echoing off the walls of a Protestant church across a narrow street, Singh railed against foreign faiths at an event last week to convert a Christian family to Hinduism
        I can recall numerous conversations here were particular Indians not only swore blind that you just CANNOT convert to Hinduism, but made all sorts of accusations & implications about me because I insisted it must have been possible to do so. The alternative here is that my interpretation of the 'all Indians are hindu' bollocks as really meaning 'any Indians who follow other faiths are naughty children who have strayed from the flock' was correct. Either way, a few folk around here have been telling some questionable stories.

Vindication all round.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Haha young mr kumar is a hindu in february. He becomes a christian in april, then a dalit in august and finally a buddhist in november. Coming February he'll become a hindu again if someone offers him some more money. So who's the one playing the game? The political hindus/christians? or mr kumar?

Religion and election in india is a funded game stuck in loop.
          Last edited by anil; 05 Sep 14,, 17:05.

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
            Haha young mr kumar is a hindu in february. He becomes a christian in april, then a dalit in august and finally a buddhist in november. Coming February he'll become a hindu again if someone offers him some more money. So who's the one playing the game? The political hindus/christians? or mr kumar?

Religion and election in india is a funded game stuck in loop.
            That is the crap that is fed by the RSS to justify their communal narrow minded agenda....a fable that makes one believe that "hindus" are being misled.
            In the modern world people filter in and out of beliefs, it is very difficult to practise a new religion like in the old days.

That being said, the RSS has no right to bully and terrorise any citizen to follow or leave any faith.

India: Woman Accuses Husband of Torture and Forced Conversion to Islam in 'Love Jihad'
            LT Sir, when things like one in the article above happen, religious nuts go crazy. I guess, the issue in India is predominantly in the North with the active collusion of Razakars.
            These are individual cases and not some schemed evil design.

My very close class mate is married to a hindu lady, he is a bori muslim. The best part is that half the girls family members belong to the Bajrang Dal. Its been 19 yrears that they are married and live in the US now. No one has converted, but they follow each others faiths.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

The BJP/RSS needs to decide what type of INDAI do they want, a great India for all citizens or a narrow minded shit hole.
              If they cant decide, then we the people will decide for them.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                I can recall numerous conversations here were particular Indians not only swore blind that you just CANNOT convert to Hinduism, but made all sorts of accusations & implications about me because I insisted it must have been possible to do so. The alternative here is that my interpretation of the 'all Indians are hindu' bollocks as really meaning 'any Indians who follow other faiths are naughty children who have strayed from the flock' was correct. Either way, a few folk around here have been telling some questionable stories.

Vindication all round.
                There are various schools of thought in Hinduism that allow and disallow conversion. To someone coming from a strict monotheist religious background, this is a hard concept to grasp.

Comment

@lemontree

I think even the poorest persons in the indian society are conscious enough to figure out a simple strategy behind makeshift schools and first aid kits. What is wrong if the poor learned to milk it?

The protestants have no problem burying 10+ centuries of indian christian history intricately built by the catholics. The indian catholics perhaps understand this but can't do anything about it.

The problem with christianity is that its theology does not have an appeal with many indians. That's the reason why 3/4th of christianity in india exists in the form of "political christianity".

‘Islands of growth' despite hurdles for Catholic Church
                  In a July 24, 2002 meeting, Archbishop Antonio Veglio, Secretary of the Congregation for Eastern Churches, told the U.S. Acting Deputy Chief of Mission, George Frowick, that of the 22 non-Roman Christian Rites in his charge, the vast majority faced threats to their stability. Only two — the Greek Rite Church in Ukraine and Keralite Catholic churches in India — appeared to be secure, according to an account of what the Archbishop said, as provided in the cable (3387: confidential, dated July 26, 2002).

full cable
                  By "Keralite", he means the syrian malabar christians in kerala, who too are beginning to feel helpless and repulsed as their spaces get encroached by political christians.
                  Last edited by anil; 06 Sep 14,, 05:27.

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                    There are various schools of thought in Hinduism that allow and disallow conversion. To someone coming from a strict monotheist religious background, this is a hard concept to grasp.
                    Please don't insult my intelligence or presume to tell me what I can or can't understand. I am well capable of understanding differences in religious tradition & history. I don't have a 'religious background' of any significance, just a curious mind. The issue here isn't my poor understanding of Hinduism. I have never claimed expertise, but it has long been clear to me that conversion must be or at least have been possible under certain circumstances. On numerous occasions people here have stated point blank that you can't convert to Hinduism. In fact, they have used that 'fact' as a means of criticizing monotheistic religions where conversion is easier.

I am happy to accept when I am wrong, but I get extremely unhappy when people who are either ignorant of their own traditions or just plain lying accuse me of ignorance & bias because it suits their particular agenda (not aimed at you). As this article makes clear, not only is conversion to Hinduism possible, but it appears that it is being promoted by an organization closely linked to the current Indian government.
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

India's Fake 'Love Jihad' @ ForeignPolicy

The State and it's elected members has got no right to interfere in personal matters of love and faith. I remember DE stating 'trolls would come out in droves' if BJP comes to power, what goes unnoticed is Mr. Modi's silence over the issue, and some of his party MP's spouting garbage. It runs parallel to what Mr. Modi said in his Aug-15th address to the Nation to have a moratorium on communal riots.

If grievances of any particular community have to be addresses, then a SIT @ retired Supreme Court judges should be formed and investigated. Meanwhile, Mr. PM needs to keep rabid communal dogs on a leash. I'm afraid the Hindutva movement that has gained momentum after the BJP's win would not only derail the economy, but might prove to be the undoing of Mr. Modi & the BJP as well.
                      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Please don't insult my intelligence or presume to tell me what I can or can't understand. I am well capable of understanding differences in religious tradition & history. I don't have a 'religious background' of any significance, just a curious mind. The issue here isn't my poor understanding of Hinduism. I have never claimed expertise, but it has long been clear to me that conversion must be or at least have been possible under certain circumstances. On numerous occasions people here have stated point blank that you can't convert to Hinduism. In fact, they have used that 'fact' as a means of criticizing monotheistic religions where conversion is easier.

I am happy to accept when I am wrong, but I get extremely unhappy when people who are either ignorant of their own traditions or just plain lying accuse me of ignorance & bias because it suits their particular agenda (not aimed at you). As this article makes clear, not only is conversion to Hinduism possible, but it appears that it is being promoted by an organization closely linked to the current Indian government.
                        BF,
                        As long as the purpose of extreme far right groups are served it matters little if conversions are possible. The average Hindutva trolls you encounter on social media and boards have no idea about Hinduism. And yes, you have been lied to - into your face. It seems that they have been brainwashed by the religious nuts to such an extent that they themselves act as such, devoid of any logic and free thinking. All of it starts @ home, when they are growing up, young minds poisoned. I find no difference between them and the Islamists, the former though hasn't gone to the extent of picking up guns. But for how long?

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                          These are individual cases and not some schemed evil design.

My very close class mate is married to a hindu lady, he is a bori muslim. The best part is that half the girls family members belong to the Bajrang Dal. Its been 19 yrears that they are married and live in the US now. No one has converted, but they follow each others faiths.
                          I know. But my point was that it adds fuel to the communal angle and extremists take it further. Nothing that the law cannot take care of-course.

Comment

just a curious mind
                            You're skimming around a fragment of indian nationalism. You can google "indian nationalism". Much is available. Much is made up and much has never been translated exists simply as mouth to mouth. Also a lost is lost in translation from indian linguals to english.
                            Last edited by anil; 06 Sep 14,, 06:32.

Comment

I have never claimed expertise,
                              Well then go easy on the smug vindication.

On numerous occasions people here have stated point blank that you can't convert to Hinduism.
                              According to orthodox Brahminism, this is true.

In fact, they have used that 'fact' as a means of criticizing monotheistic religions where conversion is easier.
                              Conversion back to Hinduism was started as a response to aggressive Christian proselytization in the 19th Century. Shuddhi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As this article makes clear, not only is conversion to Hinduism possible, but it appears that it is being promoted by an organization closely linked to the current Indian government.
                              Nowhere does the article link the RSS "closely to the Indian government". Sure, it is the spiritual inspiration for many of the BJP cadres, but it is no Muslim Brotherhood. To elaborate a little on conversion to Hinduism, it is a response to inroads Christian missionaries made into Indian society in the 19th century and to a lesser extent, in modern times. The Hindutvadis see it as re-conversion to Hinduism of people they had "lost" to Christianity, Islam and Buddhism. It has nothing to do with the conversion to Hinduism in SE Asia or much earlier in India itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X