Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Mujahideen wanted to nuke Surat, Yasin Bhatkal tells cops

Holy cow .. Can this actually happen ?

Indian Mujahideen wanted to nuke Surat, Yasin Bhatkal tells cops - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: The prospect of terror organisations getting their hands on a nuclear device has long concerned both security agencies and thriller writers. Now, it seems Indian Mujahideen India chief Ahmad Zarar Siddibappa alias Yasin Bhatkal too was thinking along similar lines. Bhatkal recently told interrogators that he was planning to set off a nuclear bomb in Surat, according to sources.

Bhatkal was arrested on August 27 in Pokhra, Nepal and has been constantly questioned by the NIA, Intelligence Bureau and police of several states. TOI has accessed the interrogation report.

Bhatkal told the interrogators that he had asked his Pakistan-based boss, Riyaz Bhatkal, over phone whether the latter could arrange a small "nuclear bomb". According to him, Riyaz responded, "Anything can be arranged in Pakistan".

"Riyaz told me that attacks can be done with nuclear bombs. I requested him to look for one nuclear bomb for Surat," Yasin told the officials.

"Riyaz told me Muslims would also die in that (nuclear bomb blast), to which I said that we would paste posters in mosques asking every Muslim to quietly evacuate their families from the city," Yasin said, according to the report.

However, the plan could not be initiated since Yasin was tracked by the IB and arrested in August.

Surat has always been on Yasin's radar and he had also played an important role in preparing 27 bombs along with Atif Ameen in 2008 when serial blasts took place in Delhi, Jaipur and Ahmedabad.

Yasin himself was the bomb expert of Indian Mujahideen and the outfit's bomb-making capabilities have been affected after his arrest, say intelligence officials.

The IM leader has also given details of army level training of IM cadres and other terrorists in Pakistan, which shows that advanced training is given to terrorists with the help of Pakistan. Elaborating on training schedule for IM members in Pakistan, Yasin said, "Training included morning PT, weapon handling and explosive/IED training, pistols to revolvers, AK-47 etc. Indian weapons like LMG, SLR and sniper rifles and so forth".

Yasin further stated that "we were also exposed to handling of explosives like PE3A (black colour explosive), C4, C3, TNT, etc. Besides this, we were also exposed to fabrication of IEDs with the help of ammonium nitrate, hydrogen peroxide, gelatin stick and so forth. This training schedule was for 50 days".

For all the plans and active operations, Yasin remained in touch with Riyaz Bhatkal. Riyaz, according to sources, had sent Yasin Rs 17 lakh in 2013 out of which his personal expenses every month were Rs 25,000.

A senior intelligence official said, "We have been coming across different kinds of IEDs over the years. The reason is that terrorists are undergoing all kind of advanced army level training in Pakistan with the help of ISI. And if terror outfits have access to nuclear bombs, then it is very dangerous for us (India)".

How possible is this situation. What might have been the implications if it had happened?
    Last edited by commander; 30 Dec 13,, 08:57.

But why Surat?

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
      But why Surat?
      Maybe as a revenge for the 2002 riots ?

Comment

Originally posted by commander View Post
        Maybe as a revenge for the 2002 riots ?
        Of course. But why Surat? Why not Ahmedabad? Or Vadodara?

Comment

Could be exactly for that reason maybe? If there are high profile targets nobody would suspect that surat would be selected for such an act. Or maybe it was logistically easy? Others who know the geography of the place well should be able to provide a better reason.

Comment

Could be exactly for that reason maybe? If there are high profile targets nobody would suspect that surat would be selected for such an act. Or maybe it was logistically easy? Others who know the geography of the place well should be able to provide a better reason.
            My point is that demographically Surat is much more Muslim-dense that either Ahmedabad or Vadodara, and second only to Ahmeabad in terms of total numbers of Muslims amongst major Gujarat cities. Weird way of trying to get revenge.

The bit about posters in mosques is a lie. There is no way the IM would have risked a leak in an operation of this sort.

Simply and brutally put, they were willing to nuke half a million Muslims to avenge the death of 790.
            Last edited by sated buddha; 30 Dec 13,, 09:34.

Comment

"According to him, Riyaz responded, "Anything can be arranged in Pakistan"

Utter nonsense - even if the account was true (and not the usual Indian media exaggerations and hysteria when it comes to implicating Pakistani State institutions in anything and everything), Riyaz was stringing Bhatkal along. Even the Libyans/Iranians could not obtain an actual functioning nuclear weapon from AQ Khan's black market bazaar (and oversight of the nuclear program has been increased beyond recognition since then).
              Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
              https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

Comment

Two reasons:-
                - Surat is world's diamond capital with over 90% of the world's diamons are cut and polished here.
                - Surat is the Manchester of India (textile capital of India).

The city is an economic power house that generates income of over USD 25 billion.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

How long would it take Indian nuclear forensics to determine the nuke is of Pakistani ... or of Chinese origins? ... And would Pakistan or China allow it?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    How long would it take Indian nuclear forensics to determine the nuke is of Pakistani ... or of Chinese origins? ... And would Pakistan or China allow it?
                    Sir , I might be wrong but IMHO India won't need permission to conduct a forensic
                    Analysis trying to identify the source of the Nuke. All hell would break lose at the time and I am pretty sure Nukes would be on it's way to all of Pakistan's important cities if not atleast the capitol city.

Comment

And if it was an Iranian nuke?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        And if it was an Iranian nuke?
                        The retaliatory move would always be directed towards Pakistan, like I said I am not 100% percent sure that is what will happen , but IMO Iran doesn't have much of a beef with India..

Comment

The more I think about it the more I am baffled. Not so much about the news that the IM wanted to nuke its own countrymen. But by the the plan to quietly evacuate half a million people out of a city. At first my reaction was that it was a lie. No terrorist organisation would risk a leak before a hit on this scale. They had to have decided to condemn 500,000 fellow Muslims to death, and were willing to live with that.

Then I thought some more. And it hit me. Its not the motives or planning of the IM that should be a cause for concern. But the thinking that they could actually get away with it. The thinking that half a million Indians will simply walk out of a city quietly without talking to any neighbor or friend or colleague, be they Hindu or Sikh or Christian or Buddhist or Jain or Jew. Without a single one of them going to the authorities, the police.

That more than anything is what the IM has gifted its community. The blanket of co-conspirators.

Comment

The more I think about it the more I am baffled. Not so much about the news that the IM wanted to nuke its own countrymen. But by the the plan to quietly evacuate half a million people out of a city. At first my reaction was that it was a lie. No terrorist organisation would risk a leak before a hit on this scale. They had to have decided to condemn 500,000 fellow Muslims to death, and were willing to live with that.

Then I thought some more. And it hit me. Its not the motives or planning of the IM that should be a cause for concern. But the thinking that they could actually get away with it. The thinking that half a million Indians will simply walk out of a city quietly without talking to any neighbor or friend or colleague, be they Hindu or Sikh or Christian or Buddhist or Jain or Jew. Without a single one of them going to the authorities, the police.

That more than anything is what the IM has gifted its community. The blanket of co-conspirators.
                            We are talking about ruthless terrorists who wants to kill people to make a point, so what does it matter to them if it was Hindus or Muslims. This sure to me doesn't sound like an empty round. They must have really had something going on.

Comment

We are talking about ruthless terrorists who wants to kill people to make a point, so what does it matter to them if it was Hindus or Muslims. This sure to me doesn't sound like an empty round. They must have really had something going on.
                              I'm sorry but I do not buy into the line that terrorism has no religion, if that is your line of reasoning. That line is as apologist as they come.

Comment

Working...
                              X