This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

Trade is increasing between the countries so this dispute isn't a major hinderance. Trade could be more between the two but its not insignificant either.
    It's not just trade. Also the money both sides have to invest to maintain the equilibrium. Think of the money China spends on Nepal/Pakistan/Bangladesh/Maldives/Bhutan/Burma. And the counter moves India has to put up with.

As I said before, that kind of money can be better used elsewhere, especially for India.

But someone has to make money, I guess (weapon exporters and politicians).

Comment

Originally posted by cdude View Post
      It's not just trade. Also the money both sides have to invest to maintain the equilibrium. Think of the money China spends on Nepal/Pakistan/Bangladesh/Maldives/Bhutan/Burma. And the counter moves India has to put up with.
      That is not going to change no matter how friendly the border. Canada and the US share the largest open border on earth and we still have military bases close to the border. No, we don't send out patrols like the Indians and the Chinese but our border guards are still busier than their soldiers.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        That is not going to change no matter how friendly the border. Canada and the US share the largest open border on earth and we still have military bases close to the border. No, we don't send out patrols like the Indians and the Chinese but our border guards are still busier than their soldiers.
        I was talking about "aid" China offered to India's neighbors and vice versa. You don't see Canada and the US dolling out money to gain influence in Mexico.

Comment

I was talking about "aid" China offered to India's neighbors and vice versa. You don't see Canada and the US dolling out money to gain influence in Mexico.
          Of course we do. It's called the NAFTA.

Comment

Of course we do. It's called the NAFTA.
            The whole point of NAFTA is to kill unions in the US. And it's been very successful.

Comment

Already done it, what's changed. Not much.

India's holding out for a better bargain. So make a better offer.

But someone has to make money, I guess (weapon exporters and politicians).
              Bulk of that money is going towards the navy.
              Last edited by Double Edge; 23 Aug 13,, 16:12.

Comment

The whole point of NAFTA is to kill unions in the US. And it's been very successful.
                And made Mexico a whole bunch of money.

Comment

And made Mexico a whole bunch of money.
                  Which US wants to keep the illegal immigration down and create a market for US goods. It is a two way street not one way. There is no point in trading with Mexico if Mexico doesn't have any money.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                    Which US wants to keep the illegal immigration down and create a market for US goods. It is a two way street not one way. There is no point in trading with Mexico if Mexico doesn't have any money.
                    Mexico has oil.

Comment

My microwave is also Chinese made. Easy solution, next time tell your cameraman use a microwave.

Agreed
                      Not sure why you want to use a microwave but the point is your microwave wasn't available at the time of incident so therefore that camera have came out to be much useful then your self acclaimed high pixel microwave and more over it seems like people here are discussing the footage recorded by that camera and not interested in knowing the specs of your microwave whatever.

Comment

Already done it, what's changed. Not much.

India's holding out for a better bargain. So make a better offer.

Bulk of that money is going towards the navy.
                        Don't you think India's neighbors are more and more drawn to China's investment. India could've settled for a reasonable deal like all other of China's land neighbors. All have prospered.

30 years ago, China and India had roughly the same GDP. Now, China is 5X of India and growing faster. Why should China give you a better deal? I am honestly asking. What have your ruling class been drinking? Too much coolaid from Thomas Friedman, aka MIC wants to make some rupees.

Comment

cdude, you are a nationalist fanboi troll will you please just shut up.

Comment

Don't you think India's neighbors are more and more drawn to China's investment. India could've settled for a reasonable deal like all other of China's land neighbors. All have prospered.
                            There's been progress over the last ten years. Borders has been stuck since the last five. We did the easy bits the harder ones are more tricky.

Already China is India's second biggest trading partner. India is China's fifth biggest trading partner (going by countries). I don't see those rankings changing in the next decade but the figures between the two will grow significantly. That's progress.

Could we do with more Chinese investment ? certainly. The one sector that would benefit the most would be infrastructure. The metro in my city & Delhi got moving when the Japanese put up half the cost at generous loan rates. China could easily exceed the same if we permitted it. I have a feeling we will be more open in the coming years to this sort of investment if we want to sustain our growth rate. With the world and China. That will be yet another keenly contested & close fight.

But you have to realise that we tend to be circumspect about getting close to greater powers as it creates conflicts of interest. What is close and what is too close. Call it historical baggage. Take the nuke power deal with the US in 2008, govt almost fell trying to clinch that deal. This was to open up to the US in a broader way. To open up to China is going to take more time. More confidence building. More people to people contact. Right now only the business class is familiar with China. The man in the street is quite ignorant. China/India relationship also suffers from historical baggage.

Our system works on the consent of the people, not necessarily what is most profitable for the country at any point in time. This is by design. The slow pace can be quite maddening but that's the way it is. There are slower states and not so slow states in the union. The trick is get the laggards to catch up. Can only happen if people of those states give their consent.

30 years ago, China and India had roughly the same GDP. Now, China is 5X of India and growing faster. Why should China give you a better deal? I am honestly asking. What have your ruling class been drinking? Too much coolaid from Thomas Friedman, aka MIC wants to make some rupees.
                            That's the magic of growth. Bigger numbers grow faster than smaller ones.

Looks like our soldiers are going to be sharing beers & smokes for some time to come
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 24 Aug 13,, 00:50.

Comment

There's been progress over the last ten years. Borders has been stuck since the last five. We did the easy bits the harder ones are more tricky.

Already China is India's second biggest trading partner. India is China's fifth biggest trading partner (going by countries). I don't see those rankings changing in the next decade but the figures between the two will grow significantly. That's progress.

Could we do with more Chinese investment ? certainly. The one sector that would benefit the most would be infrastructure. The metro in my city & Delhi got moving when the Japanese put up half the cost at generous loan rates. China could easily exceed the same if we permitted it. I have a feeling we will be more open in the coming years to this sort of investment if we want to sustain our growth rate. With the world and China. That will be yet another keenly contested & close fight.

But you have to realise that we tend to be circumspect about getting close to greater powers as it creates conflicts of interest. What is close and what is too close. Call it historical baggage. Take the nuke power deal with the US in 2008, govt almost fell trying to clinch that deal. This was to open up to the US in a broader way. To open up to China is going to take more time. More confidence building. More people to people contact. Right now only the business class is familiar with China. The man in the street is quite ignorant. China/India relationship also suffers from historical baggage.

Our system works on the consent of the people, not necessarily what is most profitable for the country at any point in time. This is by design. The slow pace can be quite maddening but that's the way it is. There are slower states and not so slow states in the union. The trick is get the laggards to catch up. Can only happen if people of those states give their consent.

That's the magic of growth. Bigger numbers grow faster than smaller ones.

Looks like our soldiers are going to be sharing beers & smokes for some time to come

It looks all cool and dandy now. But if one rogue soldier did anything stupid, it would be really ugly. All I am saying is the current status quo is not the worst, but it sure as hell should be improved.

And your media's sensationalist style of reporting is not really helping.

Comment

I now think I misread the situation. This is akin to the WWI Christmas truce. Soldiers from both sides are now tolerating and exchanging gifts as a matter of embarrassment, as a point of fun. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Like the Christmas Truce, both sides would not hesitate to exchange fire tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X