No announcement yet.

War on the Korean Peninsula: Present-day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think you've scared him away. Good job guys, now we'll have to wait untill the next noob

Comment

• Originally posted by chakos View Post
      To be fair though we are probably part of the 9% by virtue of our moderate number of pointless inane posts.

I've actually got a couple of friends that lurk here but due to their more left leaning political views they are both completely not interested in posting. Its not that this site isn't liberal friendly but the feeling is a liberal would have to back his views a lot harder than a centrist or right winger and they don't really feel like running that gauntlet.
      Tell the lazy buggers to man up. It will make Dale sulk even more.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Unless they come up with great repainting theories, they should do fine.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Back on topic:

North Korea May Have A Nuclear Warhead To Put On A Missile, Says Pentagon
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
            North Korea May Have A Nuclear Warhead To Put On A Missile, Says Pentagon
            "Tom also cautions that there are many steps between miniaturizing a weapon and actually being able to deliver it to a precise location or being able to trigger it at a precise time. It's not clear where on that timeline North Korea is."

Not that DIA asked me, but I doubt they've managed to turn one of their fission devices into an actual warhead.
            And as the quote points out, even having a warhead small enough for a missile to carry is still far from having a reliable and deliverable weapon.

In any case, supposing NK launches one of their more "advanced" missiles, Taepodong-2 perhaps, to celebrate <whatever>, they will be running a risk that it fails (again) in front of the entire world and they're made to look even more impotent than usual.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Typical CYA report.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                In any case, supposing NK launches one of their more "advanced" missiles, Taepodong-2 perhaps, to celebrate <whatever>, they will be running a risk that it fails (again) in front of the entire world and they're made to look even more impotent than usual.
                I can't believe you honestly think they can understand what makes them look like a fool. If they did they'd stop the bullshit propaganda videos with "battleships" using tank turrets. I mean.. WTH? Tank turrets?

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post

The ones with tank turrets must be the battleships? or perhaps its the ones with the long twin barrel 57mms?

Comment

• Here's a rather far-fetched theory that occurred to me, please critique.

Suppose Kim III (and his aunt and uncle?) are playing an even deeper game than we suspect...that he/they realize that Juche and Songun are not sustainable practices

The (rather shaky) evidence:
                  Our portly Young General was educated in the West so he's probably got some idea of the world outside the basketcase known as the Kim Family.
                  I've read reports in the news that he has been quietly liberalizing certain aspects of the economy and NK life, however slightly.

What if he intends to open NK up even more but must first secure his place of leadership:

Domestically - Assure the military that "Yes, you're still Number One in the DPRK...for now" so they don't decide to remove his head from his neck

and

Internationally - Have a credible nuclear shield to prevent an external power from adding his name to list that includes Muammar Gaddafi and Saddam Hussein.

This somewhat sudden headlong rush to field an ICBM/IRBM force would certain accomplish both goals in a single, albeit severely risky, stroke.

What if this is all an attempt to eventual bring North Korea out of the darkness, even a little?

Am I giving Fat Boy too much credit and he's simply doing what Daddy and Grandpa did best?
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Your theory.. nevermind.. Well, the whole theory is blown apart by the fact they cannot field an ICBM, period. Unless that fella believes they can.

Nobody can be that batshit insane.

Comment

• Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
                      Your theory.. nevermind.. Well, the whole theory is blown apart by the fact they cannot field an ICBM, period. Unless that fella believes they can.

Nobody can be that batshit insane.
                      No, not right now they can't. That's why I said it's a "headlong rush to field an ICBM/IRBM force"

Comment

• No matter how they rush, with sanctions in place (even without them) I don't think they have the capability. That said, the disappearance of some top officials (posted earlier in this thread) is also not making alot of sense to me.

Comment

• More importantly- what is with the big hats? What is it they are trying to hide up there?

Comment

• I always thought they were hiding lack of brains. The bigger the hat the more to hide as compared to the hat below.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                              Here's a rather far-fetched theory that occurred to me, please critique.

Suppose Kim III (and his aunt and uncle?) are playing an even deeper game than we suspect...that he/they realize that Juche and Songun are not sustainable practices

The (rather shaky) evidence:
                              Our portly Young General was educated in the West so he's probably got some idea of the world outside the basketcase known as the Kim Family.
                              I've read reports in the news that he has been quietly liberalizing certain aspects of the economy and NK life, however slightly.

What if he intends to open NK up even more but must first secure his place of leadership:

Domestically - Assure the military that "Yes, you're still Number One in the DPRK...for now" so they don't decide to remove his head from his neck

and

Internationally - Have a credible nuclear shield to prevent an external power from adding his name to list that includes Muammar Gaddafi and Saddam Hussein.

This somewhat sudden headlong rush to field an ICBM/IRBM force would certain accomplish both goals in a single, albeit severely risky, stroke.

What if this is all an attempt to eventual bring North Korea out of the darkness, even a little?

Am I giving Fat Boy too much credit and he's simply doing what Daddy and Grandpa did best?
                              Certainly as credible as anything I've heard & nice change from 'the fatboy is crazy' meme that is getting a bit tired. Kim's actions are rational....within a certain context. The problem is tha tnone of us know enough about how the place functions to work out just what the context is.

Assuming he is doing this, it strikes me that one problem is the extent to which he is undermining his relationship with the nation he will most need to help him modernize - China. That strikes me as very risky. I can certainly buy an argument that he is too paranoid to let them in on the secret, but I do wonder if there is a risk of reaching a point where China has decided to permenantly downgrade rthe realtionship in favour of a more productive one (in every sense) with the ROK.

That said, I like the lateral thinking.
                              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• You know, if it was Kim Sr's grandson I would have agreed. But not fat boy.

Comment

Working...
                                X