No announcement yet.

War on the Korean Peninsula: Present-day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am wondering if NK is a particularly useful "enemy state" for the US because of its proximity to China, who is "friendly" but still worries the US with its military build up. By preparing to deal with NK, the Chinese threat is also addressed to some extent, at least with logistics and the positioning of forward assests. This is just an idea I had, I am not claiming this is actually what our gov't has in mind. I understand the economic ties that the US and PRC have and the unlikelyhood of an actual military conflict, due to the financial impacts to both countries.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• whisky,

as you say, it works either way. it's also a message to china that not dealing more proactively against North Korea has consequences.
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Found this good article on military doctrine for both sides in the event of war.

OPLAN 5027 Major Theater War West - Global Security
        "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

• It's obsolete.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
            Semantically that sounds like a veiled threat.

In any case, you can choose to listen to the person who tells you what you want to hear or the people who tell you what you need to survive. Personally I'm sorta hoping you ignore us.
            And I hope that others follow suit with him in ignoring you. Speak for yourself.

Comment

• Please, let's end this round of mud-slinging. Stick to the topic at hand.
              “Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.”
              ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                Both North Korea and South Korea began military exercises this month. South Korea's was design to last 2 month. North Korea's lasted 2 days.
                They just put on a dog-n-pony show, notice their 4th corp's 170mm Koksan SP gun-howitzers have four powder bags each.
                Attached Files
                “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

• Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                  They just put on a dog-n-pony show, notice their 4th corp's 170mm Koksan SP gun-howitzers have four powder bags each.
                  They can certainly compose a great picture; a nice battery, a gun firing with projectile captured in flight, ammo layed out on a pallet - it tells a story and provides plenty of suplememtary info. The photographer is very good. :) This weapon reminds of the old US 175mm gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koksan_(artillery)
                  sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                  If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• IMO, When all is said and done...target the regime and its military leaders that stoke this "cause" for war first and foremost and by any and all means necessary drone strike, carrier strike, tomahawk strike etc. But make sure that all who continue to stir this get whats coming to them once and for all. In other words, before they get across the border and dont let "sanctuary" deter you one iotta.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

So now our F-15E pilots know what to look for . . . . .

On a separate note (S2? Gunny? You paying attention?), how do these SP units compare to an M109A6 Paladin?
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• how do these SP units compare to an M109A6 Paladin?

It has tracks, spades and a gun tube.

That's where the comparison ends.
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• Actually, I'm not personally convinced that Jon-un is going to do anything, now or in the future. He may get his kicks off a little finger waving now and then but he can't be that stupid to trigger a full scale war. And I'm sure China is having some private chats with him.

I mean, don't you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
                            Actually, I'm not personally convinced that Jon-un is going to do anything, now or in the future. He may get his kicks off a little finger waving now and then but he can't be that stupid to trigger a full scale war. And I'm sure China is having some private chats with him.

I mean, don't you think?
                            That's just the problem: He'll continue pulling stunts like the Cheonan sinking and the Yeonpyeong bombardment...and the next time it happens, South Korea is likely going to lash back with some serious firepower.

And the North Koreans don't give a single shit about what the Chinese say as long as the aid keeps rolling in. And unless China wants to trigger a full-scale catastrophe, they'll keep sending it.
                            “Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.”
                            ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• They would fire some arty rounds at the north, minutes after the nk left the premises
                              and claim large nk casualties to reassure the south public audience .

this is not Cb , it is a public relations stunt.
                              J'ai en marre.

Comment

I think they sold some to the Iranians during that big war, to match the Iraqi G-5s.

Comment

Working...
                                X