No announcement yet.

Use of tactical nuke(s) in Ukraine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Russian unit has trained to deploy tac nukes for decades nor has NATO for that matter. CF-18s haven't done low-hi-low release training in decades and the last time Guns saw a tac nuke was with 4 Bde in Germany.
    Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      No Russian unit has trained to deploy tac nukes for decades nor has NATO for that matter. CF-18s haven't done low-hi-low release training in decades and the last time Guns saw a tac nuke was with 4 Bde in Germany.
      Yes Sir!!! And I can tell exactly where the US Army 59th Ordnance Brigade custodial units kept the warheads for 4th CMBG's 155mm howitzers. I had to help guard them and was part of the VIIth Corps rotational reaction force for their security.

President George H.W. Bush got the Army out of the nuclear business in an address to the nation in 1991. I remember watching the speech live in my living room in my quarters on FT Lee. It eliminated an entire career management field within US Army Ordnance Corps. My neighbor across the street found out that night he had to transfer out of nuclear munitions field to either conventional munitions or maintenance.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        My neighbor across the street found out that night he had to transfer out of nuclear munitions field to either conventional munitions or maintenance.
        Meant to ask but forgot. Attention span taken a hit lately. Sounds familliar. Higher Ups knew they were going to fuck career paths and didn't warn anyone. How much of a hit did retirement plans took because of the re-org?

Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          Meant to ask but forgot. Attention span taken a hit lately. Sounds familliar. Higher Ups knew they were going to fuck career paths and didn't warn anyone. How much of a hit did retirement plans took because of the re-org?
          Guys who wanted to reclass pretty much got what they want. Those who didn't got offered generous severance. This was 91-92 when the US Army was shrinking from an 825,000 man in 18 division force on active duty to a 465,000 man force in 10 divisions. The Army offered 2 separate buy out programs...one with a lump sum payout amount based on rank and # years of service or an annuity annually x2 years of service...where you had to agree to stay in the Army Reserve for that entire duration. So you ended up with folks who had 20+ year reserve commitments which is why you occasionally so an older, out of weight Major or Lieutenant Colonel in the Balkans or Iraq/Afghanistan. They took the annuity and were still under commitment.

I know of 1 captain who applied for and was accepted into the Air Force to be a Missile Officer but he was a rare bird.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X