Battle Honour Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

giggs,
    The IA is a legacy of the old British Indian Army, and the fighting arms, specifically the old infantry regiments are are regional, caste/community, and religion based. There are newer units that are cosmopolitan in nature like the Paras, Mech Inf. Earlier the armoured regiments too were community/religion based. This system works very well and is easier to build the 'esprit de corps'. My regiment is purely made of Sikhs, the Sikhs have two regiments the Sikh Regiment and the Sikh Light Infantry. The former are composed of Jat Sikhs and the later are made of Sikhs from the lower caste - the Ramdasia & Mazhabi.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Just one question, why couldn't you guys have dumped the bagpipes along with the Crown?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
        Just one question, why couldn't you guys have dumped the bagpipes along with the Crown?
        LOl...The unit bagpipe band is cheaper than having a brass band. Only our regimental centers can afford them.
        Besides if a guy goes off tune with a bagpipe you will never notice it, but in a brass band it gets very obvious. ;)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
          My regiment is purely made of Sikhs, the Sikhs have two regiments the Sikh Regiment and the Sikh Light Infantry
          So all unites are segregated by religion and region still? Its not the case anymore in PA. A Baloch regiment for example is not totally Baloch, or even mostly so. Ditto Punjab, Sindh, or FF

Only the Provincial Paramilitaries are still mostly made up of people from one region.

Besides if a guy goes off tune with a bagpipe you will never notice it
          Err... bagpipe are supposed to be in tune? You could have fooled me.
          "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
            So all unites are segregated by religion and region still? Its not the case anymore in PA. A Baloch regiment for example is not totally Baloch, or even mostly so. Ditto Punjab, Sindh, or FF
            The PA is as it is a punjabi heavy organisation. The current PA regiments were never segregated even during the British days, for example the Punjab regiment of yore had Sikhs, punjabi muslims, hindustani muslims/ranghars/rhilas and hindus. So were the FF battalions. The Baloch Regt were the only ones that had the Bahawalpur state forces that were pure caste and race units, and now the Boloch Regiment is only in name, its composition is punjabi.

However, you do have pure units like the NLI and Tochi Scouts. I don't know if the Gligit scouts exist or if they have been merged with another regiment.

Err... bagpipe are supposed to be in tune? You could have fooled me.
            The army has way of screwing up everything. :)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

It was very strange watching an Indian Tatoo playing "Scotland the Brave."

Comment

On the issue of units being based on community, castes or religion in the Indian Army.

The Indian Army is based on TRADITIONS.

We still follow most of the traditions based on what the British laid down. Since it has held us in good stead, we do not find any reason to change. One of the best traditions left behind is that we do not interfere in the governance of the country.

To be sure, the regimentation on distinctive lines came into being because it ensured a fierce loyalty amongst those to uphold the "name" since any misdemeanour would travel to the village (since all were from the same area or nearabouts) and the person and his family would "lose face".

The Sikhs were separate since it would be odd to have different types of "turnout" in the same regiment. Keeping of beards was not allowed in the Army, except for the Sikh and it would not have made a pretty sight to have a parade wth different types of hirsuite pursuit standing ramrod in the line.

Rightly or wrongly, the armies around the world like things to look neat and organised.

Like in the Pakistan army while the soldiers are as impressive to look at as anywhere in the world, the wearing of loose clothing like the salwar and pyjamas somehow suggests subconsciously a "loose and sloppy" attitudinal image, which in actual fact may not be the case.

Colonel,

Lots of British tunes are played. Its all traditions!

It may seem strange, but it does show the tolerance of India - that we hold no grudges!

What is good, is good!
                Last edited by Ray; 19 Jan 06,, 06:36.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                  It was very strange watching an Indian Tatoo playing "Scotland the Brave."
                  Many post independence compositions have also been added. My regimental song is "Dam Dama Gagan Bajyo" (Thunderous Sound of the Sky), is a fast and peppy tune which does sound good on the bagpipe.
                  Last edited by lemontree; 19 Jan 06,, 13:12.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

My Regimental March is "Desho ke Sartaj Bharat" (The Crown of the World - India).

Some of the Gorkha units regimental March is "Co-ck of the North".

THis PC is real exasperating. The damn tune is CO CK of the North and I can do damn all to change it!
                    Last edited by Ray; 19 Jan 06,, 12:16.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The Naga Regiment has their song to the tune of "John Brown's Baby has a dimple on the chin"....it goes like this "Shaba Alleluia (repeat), Naga regiment ek bahadur regiment hai....

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Many post independence compositions have also been added. My regimental song is "Dam Dama Gagan Bajyo" (Thunderous Sound of the Sky), is a fast and peppy tune which does sound good on the bagpipe.

Nothing better then bagpipes and a heavy drum especially to the Irish/Scots. ;)
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 19 Jan 06,, 17:22.
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
                          Nothing better then bagpipes and a heavy drum especially to the Irish/Scots. ;)
                          Don't forget the kettle drums too.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Sir, my cousin, who served in Kashmir told me our guys had a rather rude version of Bande Matram, which we would play very loudly. Wonder if you ever heard it? And if you have a few tunes in return?
                            "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
                              Sir, my cousin, who served in Kashmir told me our guys had a rather rude version of Bande Matram, which we would play very loudly. Wonder if you ever heard it? And if you have a few tunes in return?
                              In school we had a rather nasty and vulgar version of it....,
                              At my unit end we stayed away from insulting our opposite unit. When we called out to them it was always "Sathi" (companion).

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Don't forget the kettle drums too.
                                Aye
                                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                                X