Battle Honour Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle Honour Day

Today the 4th of October is celebrated as "Kalidhar 1965" Battle Honour Day in my battalion. Below is a small brief on this battle honour....
    It would be nice if other servicemen out here would share with us about similar honours' recieved by their units'.

On the 28th September 1965, 6 Sikh Light Infantry was ordered to take two important hill features as a preliminary to clearing a feature on Kalidhar (overlooking road Akhnur-Sundarbani-Rajouri) in Jammu and Kashmir which Pakistani forces had, notwithstanding the cease-fire, encroached upon. With utter disregard for personal safety, the Battalion assaulted and captured both the preliminary objectives. The enemy brought down heavy artillery fire and counter-attacked three times. Two of the counter-attacks were beaten off with heavy casualties to the enemy. Due to heavy casuality and pressure of the enemy, our troops had to fall back from one of the two hill features. At this stage the Battalion halted the enemy’s advance and stabilized the situation.

On the night of 3rd October 1965 the Battalion was given the task of clearing the same objective with the help of a 11 Mahar. In the morning on 4 October 1965, 6 Sikh Light Infantry secured it objectives inspite of treacherous cliffish terrain, heavy enemy opposition and shelling, the battalion continued to advance up a very steep slope in the face of intensive enemy artillery fire and opposition by Infantry. Despite casualties and strong opposition, our troops continued to press forward and successfully secured three other important features by evening of the same day. The enemy staged three counter-attacks in heavy strength supported by artillery fire but they were all repulsed with heavy casualties.

The Battalion re-organized itself for the next assault on Kalidhar Trig Point 3776 despite heavy casualties and fatigue. The feature was finally cleared of the Pakistani intruders by mid-day on 5th October 1965. In this action the Battalion displayed remarkable courage, determination and self sacrifice for which one Maha Vir Chakra (Lt Col. PK Nandagopal), two Vir Chakras, four Sena Medals (two Post-humous); five Mention-in Despatches (three Posthumous) and one COAS’s Commendation Card were awarded. The Regiment was also awarded the Battle Honour "Kalidhar 1965"
    This achivement is crucial in the sense that just 28 days ago the battalion had faced the brunt of Op Grand Slam, and had been instrumental in delaying the PA advance at Burejal and Moel in Chamb sector. 1/3 rd of the battalion was either killed/captured or wounded on 1st September, but took in reinforcements and the battalion had a strength of just 450 officers and men when they assaulted Kalidhar feature.
    6 Sikh LI operated in Chamb Sector against Pakistani infiltrators and regular forces. The Battalion resisted every attempt by the enemy to infiltrate/raid/lay ambushes in the Battalion Sector. The Battalion withstood the worst ever shelling the 15 August 1965 and stood out valiantly in their posts on the cease-fire line to the admiration of all troops despite intensive enemy shelling, disruption of communications and increased casualties. The stand of the battalion enabled 191 Brigade Group to reorganize, regroup and take offensive action to reoccupy posts vacated on 15-17 August 1965 by our troops in the sector. 6 Sikh L I were ordered to retake lost posts of Maira and Nathan, with one company 3 Mahar and one troop ‘C’ squadron 20 Lancers under command, reoccupied both posts on 17 August 1965. Vigorious offensive action by all ranks kept the enemy at bay and delayed his offensive till 1 September 1965, by the time he was able to concentrate his armour, infantry, artillery, RCL, and MMG mounted on jeeps and infantry in greater strength to pierce through wide gaps between posts, outnumbered, outshelled, outgunned and threatened own posts on cease-fire line with encirclement and annihilation in details.

On 1 September 1965, own artillery and air support failed, any communication or reinforcement ultimately disintegrated and it was no longer possible to hold out. Devastated but undeterred by Pakistan airforce and artillery, Battalion Headquarters with remnants of one company and ‘C’ squadron 20 Lancers underwent continuous shelling, withdrew before midnight on 1 September 1965 on orders from Headquarters 191 Infantry Brigade Group. The battalion fought with its back against the wall against innumerable odds and stood up well. It was indeed a great satisfaction that the battalion carried out the duty to its best ability. It was this feeling in fact that made the Battalion to quickly absorb reinforcement, re-equip and be operational to take on any task assigned to it culminating in the capture of Trig point 3776 (Kalidhar) on 4 October 1965. In this battle all ranks showed tenacity of purpose, determination, courage, devotion to duty and a spirit of self-sacrifice.
    Most of the platoon and section had lost communication with the battalion HQ, so they never recieved the order to pull back and continued fighting till they were either killed or captured. Ironically when the IAF Vampires were sent in for CAS, they did not realise that the unit was still fighting west of river Tawi and had not withdrawn, so they straffed our battalion vehicles and blew up the ammo dump. The PAF came in and Sqn Rafiqui and his wing man made short work of those Vampires.
    (extract from Pak PR publication defencejournal)
    ....the 102 Brigade Commander wasted the entire day by insisting that Burjeal a minor position must be captured despite clear instructions of General Akhtar Malik to bypass it.57 Thus half of 102 Brigade and a squadron of 13 Lancers was committed to clear the Rome that Burjeal was! Burjeal was finally captured at 1500 hours!58 Shaukat Riza states that it was defended by two infantry companies of 6 Sikh but also adds that only 14 Indian soldiers were captured once it (Burjeal) was finally cleared!
    Last edited by lemontree; 04 Oct 05,, 06:00.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Great work done.

Send them my felicitation, if you are writing to them or are you visiting them?

One of your battalions celebrates the Op Hill Day. That was a real great battle and it was most derring do of them.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
      Great work done.

Send them my felicitation, if you are writing to them or are you visiting them?

One of your battalions celebrates the Op Hill Day. That was a real great battle and it was most derring do of them.
      Thank you sir. I will convey your wishes to the unit. I will be writing to them as I cannot visit them. The unit is currently on exercises.
      You are right about 5 Sikh LI, Op Hill (Chuh-i-Nar), it was near our location and I visited the place to appriciate the battle as it would have been, and I am sure you would have seen it too since you too were deployed there. Lt. Col. Sant Singh (now Brig Sant Singh, MVC, (Bar) (Retd)), was the 2 IC of our battalion till the middle of that year (1965) and went to command 5 Sikh LI before the war started.
      Last edited by lemontree; 04 Oct 05,, 07:46.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Yeah I have been there many a time.

In fact I had lunch there when I went there with the CO and the 2IC,

The Company Commander was not very good at English.

So when the CO was fighting hard to eat the country chicken curry, a bit of it flew off his plate.

The Company Commander, very solicitiously and very concerned said. "The Co ck is a bit hard,what, sir?"

I will never forget that incident!

I choked on the chicken I was trying to eat, since it would be rude to laugh, being just a Captain then. :)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
          The Company Commander was not very good at English.

So when the CO was fighting hard to eat the country chicken curry, a bit of it flew off his plate.

The Company Commander, very solicitiously and very concerned said. "The Co ck is a bit hard,what, sir?"

I will never forget that incident!
          I belive you sir. Have you heard the one about an officer's wife who on being asked where she got her fresh vegetables, answered that she grew them in her backside (actually meaning her house back yard).

I had the pleasure of hosting Brig.Sant Singh, MVC (Bar) (Retd) and his wife at my Coy HQ (your ertswhile Tac HQ). We had invited them for our raising day, thereafter drove them over to Op Hill (I don't think there was a road there during your time ). During my tenure we had a kaccha fair weather road, and now there is a proper metalled road.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Captain,

Please convey my best wishes to such a fine battalion.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
              Captain,

Please convey my best wishes to such a fine battalion.
              I will sir, and thank you for the compliments.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Captain,

Please accept my heart-felt gratitude to your battalion for their service to our nation.

Comment

Lemontree,

In those days there were no roads anywhere excepting at one post.

Op Hill was a rough walk.

But the walks were lovely since they were through pine forests with the beeze wafting the invigorating pine smell. I loved those walks from one post to another.

However, walking up from the Base to any post was tough.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Yes sir, they area still has those pine forests and it is beautiful. If you remember the view to the east was breath taking with the snow capped Pir Panjals overlooking us.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

I have done many Long Range Patrolling on the Pir Panjals.

A great way to get away from the unit regimentation! ;)

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Lemontree,

I do hope those Kahlistanis are reading of the exploits of the Sikhs on this thread.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                          A great way to get away from the unit regimentation! ;)
                          Like a short weekend break :).
                          Lemontree,

I do hope those Kahlistanis are reading of the exploits of the Sikhs on this thread.
                          Sir, do you mean the "Khalistanis" like the president of the Pakistani SGPC? The ones' in Canada and UK are too busy making money. ;)
                          Last edited by lemontree; 10 Oct 05,, 08:43.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Yep the mindless Khalistanis of the WAB who feel that the Sikhs in India are back to waging war against the Moguls!

The blokes are in a timewrap.

Neighbour's Influence and Envy, Owner's Hilarity! ;)

Buy an Onida!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Sikh Light Infantry?

Are the Indian units seperated by religion? or states or something?

just curious.

and sir, that chicken incident story was pretty funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X