Quagmire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quagmire

Do you know when this word first entered popular venacular and who/what it was describing?
    Yes
    20.00%
    No
    0.00%
    Not Sure
    80.00%
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Um, do you mean specifically in relation to war, or just the word in general?
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
      Um, do you mean specifically in relation to war, or just the word in general?
      Sorry, thought the "Warfare in the Modern Age" forum would have covered that :))

Yes, in relation to war and the United States.
      Last edited by Shek; 24 Feb 09,, 04:03.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Ah, yes, that. Of course the whole dang history forum is titularly about conflict- still don't understand that.

Comment

The word originated back in 1400 or so. Mire is Ye Olde English for 'Swamp', 'Bog' etc. Therefore to ne 'Mired' means you would be stuck or covered in mud. Quage is an Ye OLde English word meaning 'Shake, 'Quiver'. Therefore a 'Shakking Bog' i.e. something difficult to get out of.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
            The word originated back in 1400 or so. Mire is Ye Olde English for 'Swamp', 'Bog' etc. Therefore to ne 'Mired' means you would be stuck or covered in mud. Quage is an Ye OLde English word meaning 'Shake, 'Quiver'. Therefore a 'Shakking Bog' i.e. something difficult to get out of.
            That's interesting, but it didn't answer the question.

Shek, I can only surmise that it happened before Vietnam. Was it the Korean War, or even WWII?

Comment

Ooops, I apologies for that, should have been more attentive.

Comment

I THINK it had something to do with the war on the philippines

Comment

Giggity.
                  Last edited by Bluesman; 24 Feb 09,, 05:55.

Comment

Comment

Glen is easily my favorite character from the Family Guy.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                        Ooops, I apologies for that, should have been more attentive.
                        No problem - etymology is always interesting :)

Comment

Here's the answer: http://books.google.com/books?id=H77...result#PPP1,M1

Oh the sweet irony hearing Senator Kennedy comparing Iraq to Vietnam as a quagmire in fall of 2004 when the origin of the word was about the policies of his brother.

Comment

Shek Reply

"Oh the sweet irony hearing Senator Kennedy comparing Iraq to Vietnam as a quagmire in fall of 2004 when the origin of the word was about the policies of his brother."

Tasty.

Not real easy to tell the difference between a "Camelot" democrat then and a neo-con "Republican" now.
                            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                              Not real easy to tell the difference between a "Camelot" democrat then and a neo-con "Republican" now.
                              Sure you can. A neo-con spends more money on welfare.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X