Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't crossbows more popular a military/assassin/sniper weapon?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren't crossbows more popular a military/assassin/sniper weapon?

-Quiet.
    -Light.
    -Small.
    -No metal.
    -Little maintenance.
    -Most are cheaper than your run-of-the-mill AK47 I'd imagine.
    -Pretty accurate over a long distance (with practice).

They were used by the Montagnards who fought with the SOG in Vietnam.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by rj1 View Post
      -Quiet. true
      -Light. depends, some are 10lb
      -Small. hell no
      -No metal. yes there is mettal
      -Little maintenance. true
      -Most are cheaper than your run-of-the-mill AK47 I'd imagine. some are 600$ and up.-
      Pretty accurate over a long distance (with practice). somewhat true
      it takes a while to reload, range is limited,

have you ever owned one??? cuz i do, i,d take a .22 rifle over any crossbow anytime, and if i need to be quiet, i'll put a plastic bottle on the barrel, it works, i tryed.
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Modern suppressed pistols and smgs are just as quiet, much more compact, require less skill and safer to carry around when it needs to be used quickly. Crossbows used to be popular until 1980s, even mid-90s, with some such users.

Comment

they are still popular as novelty, and hunting equipment(in some states)

arrows much more deflect due to wind than a bullet.
          Last edited by omon; 02 May 08,, 00:38.
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post

have you ever owned one??? cuz i do, i,d take a .22 rifle over any crossbow anytime, and if i need to be quiet, i'll put a plastic bottle on the barrel, it works, i tryed.
            Ok. Thanks for your response, No, I've never used or owned one. Just looked at ones at places like Bass Pro.

Comment

Huum, Sniper weapon. Which will I choose? The M40A2 Sniper rifle that can drive tacks at 1000 Meters or a crossbow with a max range of maybe 200 yds.

Sounds like a no brainer to me. For guys like SEALs, Recon and Army Special Forces that need a close in silent weapon to take out sentries and such, A suppress pistol does a much better job. Easier to carry, faster reload time.

Comment

Originally posted by rj1 View Post
                -Quiet.
                -Light.
                -Small.
                -No metal.
                -Little maintenance.
                -Most are cheaper than your run-of-the-mill AK47 I'd imagine.
                -Pretty accurate over a long distance (with practice).
                Not as quiet as some locked-breech, suppressed guns (albeit the sound signature is different and not as readily identified by untrained personnel).

Quality crossbows are specialty items, tend to include metal parts (don't know why you included that) and cost substantially more than a "run-of-the-mill AK47," or most other AK47s, for that matter. They also require significantly more training to use effectively.

Comment

Cheapskate

Comment

Taiwanese SF occassionally whips out their tricked-out crossbows on publicized exercizes. It is probably for the media and the legislature's benefit, though.

Gotta look like Rambo before budget gets passed....

Anyone of you gents actually owns a quality modern crossbow? Can those things actually go through a steel pot?
                    All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                    -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                      Cheapskate
                      really, it works, i put a bottle over to collect patches, and cleaning solution, not to make a mess while cleaning, than i thought, "they showed it in the movies pbly b.s. like most of their stuff, let me try), it worked better than i expected, thou first shot made the bottle fly away, i took smaller neck bottle, and hose clamp, and it worked, got me in little troble with range attendant, good thing he knew me well, he just told me not to do it again.
                      anything bigger than .22 i doubt it would work,

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                        Taiwanese SF occassionally whips out their tricked-out crossbows on publicized exercizes. It is probably for the media and the legislature's benefit, though.

Gotta look like Rambo before budget gets passed....

Anyone of you gents actually owns a quality modern crossbow? Can those things actually go through a steel pot?
                        never tryed shooting at the steel pot, but if it is made of steel thicker than 1\16, i seriously doubt, most likely the arrow will bend, without going thru.
                        i did however shoot at old car door, it whent right thru, leaving stabilizers on the ground, ripped them right off of the arrow. and bent the arrow too.

Comment

WRT to "no metal," it would be a selling point for an urban guerrilla who might face metal detectors. What brings that to mind was a visit I made to Cairo a few years ago, where I found metal detectors ubiquitous in the downtown parts of the city.

Probably also the reason the OP compared the price to an AK-47.

Now would a crossbow bolt punch through Kevlar?

Comment

Originally posted by cape_royds View Post
                            Now would a crossbow bolt punch through Kevlar?
                            easy, you can even punch thru kevlar with a knife, or a needle.

Comment

really, it works, i put a bottle over to collect patches, and cleaning solution, not to make a mess while cleaning, than i thought, "they showed it in the movies pbly b.s. like most of their stuff, let me try), it worked better than i expected, thou first shot made the bottle fly away, i took smaller neck bottle, and hose clamp, and it worked, got me in little troble with range attendant, good thing he knew me well, he just told me not to do it again.
                              anything bigger than .22 i doubt it would work,

, i reckon it will only moderate the sound on .22 sub sonic ammo , and fail on H/V :)

Comment

Working...
                              X