Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    Post 3
    I love the Vark!!!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
      Post 8
      Seeing the F-86 in SW Asia camo just seems like a record scratch!
      Mark Twain

Comment

Was the Thud missed or they didn't have one? This is an interesting one as there is supposedly no flying F-105s but here this was at Moffett Field back in 2004 where most everything else flew in. While I like military planes I have always had an attraction to the P-47, A-1, F-105, F-4, and F-14

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_f105_thunderchief_01.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	1586831

Comment

I didn't miss any planes, photographed each and every last one. Some photos, especially of bombers, are partial, as their weren't good vantage points to capture the entire plane in one photo.

The F-117 was a real treat. I wasn't sure what all would be inside, but I wasn't expecting that to be there. Clearly it's been sanded down to remove the classified radar absorbing/scattering paint. There was a guy working on it in the restoration hangar, which is roped off but has the doors open for viewing, you can see him under the wing. I imagine they're going to repaint it, and maybe even hang it in the museum lobby alongside the SR-71.

edit: looks like I did miss the F-105. Either it must have been off to the side of one of the hangars not immediately visible from the entrance/parking lots, or maybe removed from display as it wasn't listed at all on the guide in the lobby of the museum.

This is a photo of it from the SAC Museum website. At some point it was on display outside. Not sure where it was or is.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Ironduke; 23 Apr 22,, 15:36.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Took a deeper look at their collection and noticed no F-100 Super Sabre or F-104 Starfighter. Those two planes along with the F-86 Sabre were some of the very first models I built starting back in 1960.

Comment

Love the Thud...and they were the first Iran Hand aircraft as well.

A great book on their use is Thud Ridge.
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                Love the Thud...and they were the first Iran Hand aircraft as well.

A great book on their use is Thud Ridge.
                Iron Hand was a joint USAF/USN. I knew an O-6/A-4 driver who flew one of the early missions. The first ones were carried out with A-4's & 6. Yes the USAF was not very far behind..

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed View Post

Iron Hand was a joint USAF/USN. I knew an O-6/A-4 driver who flew one of the early missions. The first ones were carried out with A-4's & 6. Yes the USAF was not very far behind..
                  Should have clarified they were first USAF Iron Hand aircraft.

This mission would eventually pass to F-4s for the Gulf War with the A-6 for the Navy. The HARM was a real game changer eneabling standard aircraft to fulfill the roll.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X