Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OoE Reply

Colonel,

I've seen this elsewhere from you. I perhaps recall a conversation w/ M21. Seemed to have included a report from a Hungarian pilot about ops planned towards Italy.

Lots of chem and nukes, as I recall.

Sir, was the Canadian Brigade Group attached to BAOR or were they a NATO reserve?
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
      I've seen this elsewhere from you. I perhaps recall a conversation w/ M21. Seemed to have included a report from a Hungarian pilot about ops planned towards Italy.
      This one is new. Just published but it's from the same site Parallel History Project - HOME -

Lots of chem and nukes, as I recall.
      The Czech plan had in it 160 nukes on the 1st day.

Sir, was the Canadian Brigade Group attached to BAOR or were they a NATO reserve?
      We were VII Corps' strategic reserves.
      Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 25 Mar 08,, 14:45.

Comment

OoE Reply

Colonel,

Great site, to say the least. Article is huge and fascinating. So much is. Where's the time?

You should resurrect that thread that I mentioned w/ M21 and yourself and sticky the sucker. Then take all this peripheral stuff and toss it in there.

Just my $.02 worth.

Have a good day, sir.
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Clancy's Goal

For a business insurance salesman, Clancy wrote pretty good stories.

As for whether his scenarios rang true or were doctrinally correct, who cares! He had to set up conditions for NATO to win and that there had to be some "good guys" within the Warsaw Pact.

After all, Clancy was a business man who was trying to make money selling books in the US, not the USSR!

I actually found his older books more believable.

I agree with the assessments of GEN Sir John Hackett's books as well as Coyle's early work...before he went off the deep end.

OOE, I read a novel about the 4 CMBG and their role in this "war"...do you recall it?

As for nukes....the ones which really scared me in the early 80s were the ADMs. And I am here to say that form 82- 84, when we heard the words LARIAT ADVANCE over the phone at 0400, we thought it was for real. The Warsaw PAct may have backed away from war by then but I believe, as has come out, the Western Intel establishment badly misread the thoughts of the Warsaw Pact...and we at the sharp end really thought we were going to war.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

If remember a report correctly I read some years ago, both sides inteligences were sure that the other side would be planing an attack, what led them to prepare for the incoming invasion of the other side

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              OOE, I read a novel about the 4 CMBG and their role in this "war"...do you recall it?
              I thought it was Hackett's Third World War but I'm wrong. I recall it but don't know which one now.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                I thought it was Hackett's Third World War but I'm wrong. I recall it but don't know which one now.
                Actually it was about the 4 CMBG totally...a briagde and regiment/battalion level view of WW III.

Very well written.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Kenneth Macksey - First Thrust. I googled it. It was written for the Staff Level course. I'm looking for it now and see if I can order it.

Comment

Working...
                  X