Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help IDing a King Tiger

Hia folks

In another forum, a member posted this image. The coment was just "Tiger II abandoned". But it's bugging me, because of the swastika. That's a Fin swastika, not a german one. So... what's that doing on a Tiger II?!

Any ideas?

Best bet is that it was crewed by Finnish SS Volunteers as part of SS Nordland or Wiking.

Also not abandoned, but burnt out.
    Last edited by zraver; 06 Oct 14,, 02:31.

Comment

I might be mistaken but is that battle damage just aft the right main wheel? It looks like ruptured plating, other than that I can't see any sign of damage, obviously more photos are needed - they might also help with the ID and/or give you the aprox location.
      Last edited by Monash; 06 Oct 14,, 06:57.
      If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
        Best bet is that it was crewed by Finnish SS Volunteers as part of SS Nordland or Wiking.
        Afaik, the Tiger II was assigned only to a few heavy panzer batallions. And the only such batalion in the eastern front was the 506, in the Ukraine. Besides, I doubt they'd let non-germans in these prized vehicles...

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
          I might be mistaken but is that battle damage just aft the right main wheel? It looks like ruptured plating, other than that I can't see any sign of damage, obviously more photos are needed - they might also help with the ID and/or give you the aprox location.
          That is just the relatively thin sheet-metal mud guards, which are often torn up or missing.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
            Besides, I doubt they'd let non-germans in these prized vehicles...
            Could very well have been desperate circumstances rather than a "normal" assignment.

Also, we don't know how or when that swastika wound up being painted on that Tiger II in the first place.
            The swastika itself looks somewhat non-standard for the Finnish Army and it's reversed in any case.
            Last edited by TopHatter; 06 Oct 14,, 17:02.
            Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              Could very well have been desperate circumstances rather than a "normal" assignment.

Also, we don't know how or when that swastika wound up being painted on that Tiger II in the first place.
              True. I do know there was some fighting between germans and fins at the end, caused by the terms of the USSR-Finland treating forcing the expulsion of all german forces. So, maybe that. But it still puts this Tiger II far away from it's hunting grounds...

Comment

But it still puts this Tiger II far away from it's hunting grounds...
                That's part of the problem, we don't have geographic location for this big bruiser when the photo was taken.

Quite the mystery!
                Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

The only thing I could think was it may have been assigned to SS Panzer Regt 5 from the 5th SS Panzergrenadier Wiking Division. Perhaps that had some Finns in the crew. The 5th SS Panzer had Tiger IIs.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

It's hard to tell, but that swastika may be on the sides, too.

My guess is it was applied after the fact for propaganda purposes. To let you know whose tank got busted. Someone on the Allied side wouldn't be too fussy about the orientation of the marking.

Ed-

Comment

That's also a very non-standard paint job; I'm assuming they were going for something like the late-War "ambush" scheme, but it's a little more elaborate. Also, considering the lack of damage to the front of the tank, and the fact that it was burnt-out, I'm guessing an air attack from the rear destroyed it.

Afaik, the Tiger II was assigned only to a few heavy panzer batallions. And the only such batalion in the eastern front was the 506, in the Ukraine. Besides, I doubt they'd let non-germans in these prized vehicles...
                      I thought sPzAbt 509 was the only battalion on the Eastern Front with Pz.Kpfw.Tiger Ausf.B's? IIRC, they ended up in Austria at the very end of the War.
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post

I thought sPzAbt 509 was the only battalion on the Eastern Front with Pz.Kpfw.Tiger Ausf.B's? IIRC, they ended up in Austria at the very end of the War.
                        Oops sorry, that's what I meant, the 509. :slap:

Comment

it's reversed in any case.[/QUOTE]
                          The image may have been produced from a slide, which accounts for the backward swastika.

G

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed View Post
                            The image may have been produced from a slide, which accounts for the backward swastika.

G
                            It's not. Look at the position of the hull MG. Reverse the pic, and you'd get it where the driver should be. So the pic is correct.

Comment

Both SS Nordland and SS Wiking had Tiger II's. 5 SS pzgdr Wiking had some from 509 and 11 pzgdr Nordland had at least 16 from 503. These were both elite units crewed by ideological fanatics who the Nazis considered to top tier in their racial scheme. The Nordland tanks fought IS-2's in Feb 45 at Arnswalde in Pomerania.

Comment

Working...
                              X