Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Historians Now Overstating the Role of the U.S.S.R. in defeating Nazi Germany?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Historians Now Overstating the Role of the U.S.S.R. in defeating Nazi Germany?

At one time, historians did not give the Soviets adequate credit for the defeat of Nazi Germany.

Now, most discussions routinely point out that seven out of every eight Germans killed in World War Two were killed by the Soviets.

But is this using numbers to overstate the role of the Soviet Union?

No doubt the decisive defeats of the Germans on land was by the Soviets on the Eastern Front.

But.

It wasn't the Soviets who swept the German Navy from the seas.

It wasn't the Soviets who achieved widespread air superiority over Germany.

It wasn't the Soviets who conducted large scale strategic bombing of Germany. The British (and later the Americans) being the first to bring the war directly to Germany proper first.

Should the pendulum swing back?

Sorry for my long absence by the way.

Originally posted by Dayton3 View Post
    At one time, historians did not give the Soviets adequate credit for the defeat of Nazi Germany.

Now, most discussions routinely point out that seven out of every eight Germans killed in World War Two were killed by the Soviets.

But is this using numbers to overstate the role of the Soviet Union?

No doubt the decisive defeats of the Germans on land was by the Soviets on the Eastern Front.

But.

It wasn't the Soviets who swept the German Navy from the seas.

It wasn't the Soviets who achieved widespread air superiority over Germany.

It wasn't the Soviets who conducted large scale strategic bombing of Germany. The British (and later the Americans) being the first to bring the war directly to Germany proper first.

Should the pendulum swing back?

Sorry for my long absence by the way.
    'The pendulum' seems to be doing just fine. The war in Europe was won & lost on the Eastern front. Other theatres played important roles, but the east was the key to victory. 'Sweeping the German Navy fom the seas' was mostly about anti-sub warfare - not exactly he Pacific theatre....or even the Med for that matter (esp after Norway). leave the german navy intact & lose against Russia & germany still loses. Beat back the bombers & lose in Russia & Germany still loses. All nations can be proud of their contribution, but Germany broke itself in the East. Absent that Allied victory is very far from assured, with it Allied victory is guaranteed.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I don't like the pendulum type of history - it is normally always wrong - swinging across the facts - normally exhibiting bias one way or the other. It would be nice to try to get it right and explain it without a nationalism bias or the "making up" for inaacurracies by presenting other inaccuracies with an opposite spin.

No doubt in my mind, the Germans attacking the USSR in 1941 was the single most war loosing thing they did. This is rivaled to a lesser degree by the Nazi's declaring war on the USA in Dec 1941, for pretty much no good reason - except perhaps as a show of solidarity with their Japanese allies. Imagine how it might have gone if there were no lend lease, and the Soviets faced German alone or in concert with a Japanese assault from the East? What if the US had stayed out (no Pearl Harbor?) and Britian had fallen in early 1942? The Soviets great victory was part of a complex story - take away the contributions of the West and it might have been a different story.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

A lot of people seem to forget that Lend Lease was one of the major reasons why the Soviet Union was able to beat back Germany. Thousands of trucks, tanks, artillery, planes, ammo, explosives, and so on made it possible for the Soviet army to fight while its industry recovered from a major bombing campaign the Germans unleased on Russia. Where was the Russian Air Force? I'll also point to this fact. The German Army, had Great Britian and the US NOT conducted long range bombing runs crippling Germany's industries probably would have defeated Russia. Also, Germany was crippled by Hitlers insatiable desire to rid the world of every Jew, gypsy, cripple, non-arian, homeless person in the world.

Comment

Russia was not the 'key' to victory for the Allies. Without Russia the Allies would have used the A-bomb against germany which would have bought about their defeat. It just would have taken longer and ruined Germany more.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
            No doubt in my mind, the Germans attacking the USSR in 1941 was the single most war loosing thing they did. This is rivaled to a lesser degree by the Nazi's declaring war on the USA in Dec 1941, for pretty much no good reason - except perhaps as a show of solidarity with their Japanese allies. Imagine how it might have gone if there were no lend lease, and the Soviets faced German alone or in concert with a Japanese assault from the East? What if the US had stayed out (no Pearl Harbor?) and Britian had fallen in early 1942? The Soviets great victory was part of a complex story - take away the contributions of the West and it might have been a different story.
            Agreed. The USSR was a big part, but aided by the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Dayton3 View Post
              Here's another number. 7 million to 11 million military dead. With or without us, they were determined to kill the Nazis or die taking the Nazis with them.

Comment

Tanker Reply

"...Thousands of trucks, tanks, artillery, planes, ammo, explosives, and so on made it possible for the Soviet army to fight while its industry recovered from a major bombing campaign the Germans unleased on Russia..."

I won't argue against your essential thrust but I'm not sure about the "...major bombing campaign..." part of your comment. A small bit? Yeah. Maybe. However, Germany physically occupied or displaced a lot more industry than they destroyed by aerial attack.
                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                  "...Thousands of trucks, tanks, artillery, planes, ammo, explosives, and so on made it possible for the Soviet army to fight while its industry recovered from a major bombing campaign the Germans unleased on Russia..."

I won't argue against your essential thrust but I'm not sure about the "...major bombing campaign..." part of your comment. A small bit? Yeah. Maybe. However, Germany physically occupied or displaced a lot more industry than they destroyed by aerial attack.
                  The luftwaffe flattened all of Stalingrad and Leningrad between 41-43. Tank Factory 183 responsible for the T34 was and the Stalingrad Tank gun factory was moved as well to the Urals they called it Tankograd I believe. Anyway, the massive air raids supported the German infantry. Almost every building was dropped and house to house and factory to factory fighting ensued...same with Leningrad. Most of the T34s were destroyed Stukas or ME109s with tank busters. The Soviet air force was grounded due to air superiority fighters of the Germans. Matter of fact I think it was the Volgograd Tractor factory where vicious fighting took place. Germans leveled that complex. Maybe I should make it clear that I was talking about the western sections of Russia where the germans were and not the entire country.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    Here's another number. 7 million to 11 million military dead. With or without us, they were determined to kill the Nazis or die taking the Nazis with them.
                    1.3 million alone taking Stalingrad back from the Germans. Another 1.2 in Leningrad..

Comment

Originally posted by Tanker View Post
                      Maybe I should make it clear that I was talking about the western sections of Russia where the germans were and not the entire country.
                      We've discussed this in another thread. It really depends on when the war concluded. Post Stalingrad, the war was lost. Japan was going to lose no matter what. Stalin would not be above grabbing every Japanese, Chinese, and Korean armies he can muster and sending them west as penal battalions.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        Sir, it is not my intention to split hairs but the germans took around 11 million military casualties ( dead, wounded and missing ) in the east.
                        J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanker View Post
                          1.3 million alone taking Stalingrad back from the Germans. Another 1.2 in Leningrad..
                          the Stalingrad figure includes wounded,the Leningrad figure does not, if it did it would be around 4.5 millions including one million civilians.
                          J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
                            Sir, it is not my intention to split hairs but the germans took around 11 million military casualties ( dead, wounded and missing ) in the east.
                            No hair splitting necessary and it adds to the point. While our steel was necessary, that bloodbath was beyond our capabilities to pay.

Comment

80% of german casualties in WWII were at the hands of the soviets, so i do not think their role is over-stated.
                              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                              X