Britain attacks the US in 1917

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain attacks the US in 1917

This a related the the "US joins the Central Powers in WWI" discussion - as an opportunity to voice an opinion
    http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wor...al-powers.html
    Please look at that thread to see what this is all about

What is your opinion?
    1. Britain gains their objectives and wins the war.
    2. Britain forces an armistance and retains her Empire.
    3. Britain looses the war, but retains most of her Empire.
    4. Britain losses the war and becomes a German/US Protectorate, her Empire is distributed among the victors.

Other: Please explain
    Britain wins the war and gains all her objectives
    23.08%
    Britain forces an Armistance and the British Empire comes away intact
    0.00%
    Britian looses the war, but the British Empire survives, mostly intact
    61.54%
    Britain looses the war and her Empire is divided among the victors
    15.38%
    Last edited by USSWisconsin; 20 Dec 11,, 17:10.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Britain lose and ends like AH Empire - many new countries appear on the territory of the former Empire.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I could see this outcome largely eliminating the historically problematic British map redrawing of Europe and the Middle East. Perhaps a more equitable outcome for Germany too, perhaps avoiding some of the conditions that led to WWII there. I am afraid it would be very hard on Britain, and it could place Japan in a much stronger position in the Pacific. It would be a very different world...
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I voted for option 3 because i cant see UK successfully invading CONUS or the Americans signing a early armistice.
        IMO the British keep Canada first and foremost.
        J'ai en marre.

Comment

2 and 4 are the most likely depending on how the fates cast the dice.

Comment

I was reading the other thread on this with great interest and came away with 3 being the most likely option.
            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Celine Dion is borned an American citizen ... and that is somehow so comforting.

Comment

Definitely number 3; the US, at this point, does NOT have the capability of dictating terms to the British Empire, even with German help, but there's no way Britain could enforce her will on an "enemy" on the far side of the Atlantic, even assuming Canada would be willing to help out. It would result in a temporary stalemate until the US could build her Navy up to the point where she could deny Britain use of the High Seas (probably at least 1920 or so).
                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I'm not sure.

If her objective is 2, then she obtains1.

If her objective is the subjugation of the US, then I think we can rule that out.
                  2,3 & 4 seem possible.

But given the 1917 timeline, it's quite possible that Germany will collapse anyhow. It's finances & food are in a bad way, the U.S just has obtained a huge chunk of bad debt and needs to loan again.

So it puts it down to 2 & 3 for me. But it won't be Britain forcing an armistice, it will be the condition of Germany that will be the fait accompli to the USA. So I would lean towards Britain retaining most of her empire (germany not getting squat) and the U.S unwilling to fight as if it were a Dominion to keep Germany in a war... Which still is a loss for the British - but may influence the Kaiser to cease hostilities given the checkmate status of Britain and his own woes.
                  Ego Numquam

Comment

I voted for option 3 - in the course of my research, I have come to the conclusion it is the most likely outcome.
                    Last edited by tgbyhn; 15 Jan 12,, 11:59.

Comment

"Britain gains their objectives and wins the war." Could we define the British objectives? Seems to me that British objectives, as discussed in the previous thread, are more or less enshrined in option 2; the armistace etc.
                      Last edited by snapper; 15 Jan 12,, 12:22.

Comment

I think option 2 is meant to be status quo antebellum, with option 1 being the historical outcome of the war.

Comment

Still not sure what 'British objectives' are if not status quo antebellum.

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                            Still not sure what 'British objectives' are if not status quo antebellum.
                            The neutralization of rising German naval power.

As shown most starkly by the Washington Naval Treaty (in which the British agreed to a 1:1 ratio with the US, where US programs would have the USN as the superior fleet), Britain's ability to maintain naval dominance was seriously under threat at this time.
                            Last edited by tgbyhn; 15 Jan 12,, 13:19.

Comment

In that case a British/US naval confrontation in 1917 would have resulted in a British victory, simple. Can't see that an ealier victory over the USN by the British fleet would alter the naval balance significantly in Germanys favour later.

Comment

Working...
                              X