"Thank God for the Atom Bomb"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Captain, the best part was the survival kit inventory.

Jeez, I hated all that crap....a cavity search would have been more welcome!!!
    You mean, that last inspection wasn't one?

Seriously, I don't remember the names of all those inspections, but I recall there were three versions depending on who was looking at you. The one that really blew was when this team showed up with a couple of Army Warrant Officers. God they were dicks! I mean, we passed and everything but they were just dicks. No other way to put it.

Comment

• BTW, on today's date in 1945 the whole reason for this discussion was thrust into the public sphere.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
        BTW, on today's date in 1945 the whole reason for this discussion was thrust into the public sphere.
        I was once in the Nagasaki airport traveling to Sasebo on August 9th. Not a good day to be a gaijin in those parts.

Comment

• We used to have 2 annual inspections for the rtdc's on the Asroc's and it was always a pain. Being an FC we didn't work with them, but we did the security work and inevitably the ASROC launcher would break prior to the inspections and we would have to put up exclusion area around the launcher and nccs until it was fixed requiring us to stand security watches the whole time. Of course we still had our own jobs and watch stations to do on top of that. NWAT was one inspection, I forget in the fuzzy cloud of acronyms in my head what the other inspection was called (I think it was a number for some reason). We also had a lead up practice inspection. Didn't bother me at all when they went away. Never did like the thought of launching one and having it go off that close to us anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
            We used to have 2 annual inspections for the rtdc's on the Asroc's and it was always a pain. Being an FC we didn't work with them, but we did the security work and inevitably the ASROC launcher would break prior to the inspections and we would have to put up exclusion area around the launcher and nccs until it was fixed requiring us to stand security watches the whole time. Of course we still had our own jobs and watch stations to do on top of that. NWAT was one inspection, I forget in the fuzzy cloud of acronyms in my head what the other inspection was called (I think it was a number for some reason). We also had a lead up practice inspection. Didn't bother me at all when they went away. Never did like the thought of launching one and having it go off that close to us anyway.
            Yup, the old expression was "turn ass to the blast and run like hell," and hope you cleared 10,000 yards before the big boom.

Comment

• We were told that at 1km distance, a 25kt tac-nuke wouldn't really affect us as long as we stayed buttoned up.

Comment

• Buried.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                  We were told that at 1km distance, a 25kt tac-nuke wouldn't really affect us as long as we stayed buttoned up.
                  Maybe true, but with a B57 depth bomb the concern was two fold: a) that you'd suffer hull damage from the shock and either sink yourself or go dead in the water (a most unhealthy way to be), and; b) the base surge caused by a nuke det creates a wave/cloud/spray, whatever you want to call it that is highly radioactive. One does not want to be enveloped in the base surge. We have the means to deal with it, but still it's not something one would prefer to deal with. It's rather messy and doesn't necessarily guarantee good results.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    Buried.

Sorry, Sir, should have specified an air burst preceding a Soviet attack, not a demolition charge.

Comment

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                      You mean, that last inspection wasn't one?

Seriously, I don't remember the names of all those inspections, but I recall there were three versions depending on who was looking at you. The one that really blew was when this team showed up with a couple of Army Warrant Officers. God they were dicks! I mean, we passed and everything but they were just dicks. No other way to put it.
                      The good old days with all the acronyms. NTPIs, NWAIs, SAS NSO NWSOs, PAL,PRP.

Did a 3 yr tour as a member of one of the Corps Nuclear Ord Platoons. Plus close to 6 yrs as a artillery Nuc projectileman (Additional duty)

Like the rest of you I was really glad all that crap went away.

The fact that we could carry and deploy them was not classified, but their actual presence on board was something we could "neither confirm nor deny."
                      The quote burned in the few brain cells I have. "I can neither confirm, nor deny, the presence, or absence, of nuclear weapons aboard any military installation."

As a young Sgt at NOP I remember fondly the day I was the "Duty Tec" for the access control point when the Base Fire marshal "found" our compound. And having no fire escape/building diagrams decided he wanted to have a look.

Aside from really pissing off the most senior civilian (GS rating) aboard the base. It was a lot of fun, for this young Sgt that may have had a bit of a cocky attitude

"I am the base fire marshal, I can go anywhere on this base I want" that was met with "Your name is not on my access roster. You will have to leave". Followed by "You cannot keep me out of here" met with
                      "Yes i can,>>>>> Nuclear Security Act 1947>>>> I'll shoot your ass"

After I called the MarForLant Commander (A Sgt with a direct line to a 3 Star Gen) The Fire Marshal settled down. That look was classic. He pulled the "I'll tell the General on you threat" and I said "Well if it will make you happy I'll give him a call"

After the Gen told him he did not have authority nor access to our site he insisted on asking me the same question over and over "Are there Nucs stored in that building?
                      And I'd pop The Quote. Then he would ask again, and I'd repeat "The Quote". We did this for about 15 min before he got bored and left.

And the easiest way to pass a Navy Nuc inspection was to decide to do a Field Nuc ASP in the swampiest part of the base in Aug. For some reason the Navy guys never wanted to see a complete cycle. Maybe it had to do with the helmet and flak jackets. Or the Carolina ground oozing up over their low quarter shoes. Maybe it was the mosquitoes the size of small birds. Or the 95 deg temp with 100% humidity.

Personally I think it was the doughnuts we had put out. Back at our air conditioned building. Khakis and doughnuts never fails. Like hunting over a baited field.

Comment

• Originally posted by gun grape View Post
                        khakis and doughnuts never fails. Like hunting over a baited field.
                        lmfao!!!!!

Comment

• My favorite acronym, maybe the good Capt would remember this one.

School for us was in San Diego. We went to Nuclear Weapons Training Group Pacific (NWTGP). Better known as "No Where To Go Party"

In the mid 80s Trophys Lounge in National City was the party joint of choice.

And a note to finance guys. Giving a single Sgt accommodations at Hotel Del Coronado, a rental car, and a gov credit card. WTF were you guys thinking? (I am eternally grateful though)

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            2 man control .
                            I was still read in when they changed "Two Man Control" to the gender neutral "Two Person Integrity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                              My favorite acronym, maybe the good Capt would remember this one.

School for us was in San Diego. We went to Nuclear Weapons Training Group Pacific (NWTGP). Better known as "No Where To Go Party"

In the mid 80s Trophys Lounge in National City was the party joint of choice.

And a note to finance guys. Giving a single Sgt accommodations at Hotel Del Coronado, a rental car, and a gov credit card. WTF were you guys thinking? (I am eternally grateful though)
                              Born and raised in Nasty City (my father was a Warrant Boatswain); never visited the Trophy Lounge although I knew its location from my earliest memories. In my day, we would do liquid lunch at the Hitching Post . . . then the culture changed and drinking was verbotten. The last 15 years of my career were ever so much more boring than the first 10.

My brother-in-law, an RA-5C Vigilante driver was an instructor at NWTGP, and often had interesting stories about students that had no business being around those things.

I have a slightly different story about a MARDET SSgt aboard Constellation and his zeal for protecting the weapons with which he was charged. We were underway doing a Bluebells evolution (that's moving a "silver bullet" folks) and I, being the Repair Two Locker Leader owned the area of the ship where that particular magazine was located. So we were charged with dealing with the Broken Arrow should one occur, while the Marines of course were there to keep the riffraff out of the area. So here comes this Airedale LCDR who announces that he's going up the escalator to his ready room, despite the fact that the escalator and the immediate area around it was secured for the movement of the weapon, as the weapons elevator for that magazine is right there. The SSgt. says, "No Sir, the area is secured for Bluebells, you must go aft and up." I'm a JG at this point and I've got a good relationship with the Marines because we respect each others duties for this kind of thing, but this LCDR is like pointing out his gold oak leaves, and the SSgt. is just politely telling him no . . . until the dipshit Airedale decides he's pushing past him and going up the escalator, at which point the SSgt. put the butt of his riot gun across the guy's jaw, and they placed him under restraint and took him to the brig. Then, when the movement was over, we all went to Captain's Mast, and I was a witness. I just told what I saw, and the LCDR was referred to court martial. At that point in my career I had my fill of aviator bullshit double-standard crap, so I was secretly joyful at what had transpired. I honestly don't know what was decided at court martial because both the offender and the trial were taken off ship and we weren't allowed to know the outcome, but regardless, the message was delivered to the other 5000 souls aboard.:)

Comment

• Mods,

Post #280 and #84 should be reposted to

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/fie...4-stories.html

Comment

Working...
                                X