Tomb of the Unknowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomb of the Unknowns

I won't be able to make it, but any Wabbits going to the Tomb to lay flowers for the centennial?

If anyone is going, I'd love to help buy some flowers on behalf of American and allied wabbits.

Once in a century event: How you can place flowers at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier - We Are The Mighty

Can't make it...I don't do so well in crowds these days so I tend to avoid high visit times for places. Besides for Veterans & Memorial Days I visit local Civil War cemeteries. I have 7 of them to pick from in the Richmond-Petersburg area.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Facebook Live of flower laying at The Tomb happening this morning.

https://fb.watch/9abJUfphRL/
      Mark Twain

Comment

That article opens with the remarkable sentence:
        On November 11, 1921, the 10th anniversary of the armistice that ended WWI, a fallen, unknown soldier from the war was placed on a horse-drawn caisson and carried in a procession through Washington, D.C. and across the Potomac River.
        Just thought i'd point it out.

Comment

What always floors me is the first Unknown Soldier was brought from France aboard the USS Olympia...a Spanish-American War vessel! She was Dewey's flagship and served on convoy duty in WW 1 and even took part in the Russian Intervention. The cruise with the Unknown was it's final voyage before being withdrawn from service.
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            What always floors me is the first Unknown Soldier was brought from France aboard the USS Olympia...a Spanish-American War vessel! She was Dewey's flagship and served on convoy duty in WW 1 and even took part in the Russian Intervention. The cruise with the Unknown was it's final voyage before being withdrawn from service.
            And what a journey

Up on deck, where the casket of the unknown soldier was tied down with rope and covered with canvas, the Marine guards lashed themselves to the ship’s stanchions so they wouldn’t be swept overboard.

Twenty-foot seas broke over the pilot house. One Marine was drenched by a wave so big that it tore his hip boots off. And the ship was rolling so badly that the crew feared that each roll would be its last.
            https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...n-uss-olympia/

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
              Thanks for that link GG because, as someone else says, it is history that should be remembered...

Comment

Working...
              X