No announcement yet.

Today in the American Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1858 First of seven Lincoln-Douglas debates.

1861 Second Wheeling Convention adjourns

1862 Braxton Bragg crosses the Tennessee River at Chattanooga.

1863 The Confederate Navy attempts to attack the USS New Ironsides with a torpedo from the four-man vessel the CSS David. The attack is ineffective

Quantrill's Raiders, now numbering more 400, attack Lawrence, Kansas, killing every male they could find who was old enough to carry a gun (a total of 183 men). One they missed was U. S. Senator James H. Lane, who hid in a cornfield in his nightshirt. Quantrill's men burned the town following the raid

1864 Forrest liberates Memphis

Almost 2,000 Confederates occupied Memphis for a few hours during the day, nearly capturing Major Generals Stephen Hurlbut and C. C. Washburn. The raid forced troops operating in the area to withdraw to Memphis, giving Forrest free reign to raid William Tecumseh Sherman's supply lines

Skirmish at Summit Point, West Virginia
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• 1864 Fort Morgan, last of the Confederate forts on Mobile Bay, falls into federal hands following a spectacular barrage.

Fort Morgan (Alabama) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Mark Twain

Comment

• 1864 ‘Atlanta is Ours, And Fairly Won’ | Civil War Daily Gazette

And with that I am going to bow out.

We have been around the calendar already and think we have covered pretty much all.

I won't lock the thread but I will welcome all to continue. I may post from time to time as special 150th events occur.
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Been an interesting ride...thanks. Next up? Revolutionary War? :)
          To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Perhaps....I could do War of 1812!
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              Perhaps....I could do War of 1812!
              Yes!

I don't know that much about the War of 1812, except that we eventually "won" it, mostly because the British got tired of fighting a(nother) war 2000 miles away . . . .
              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• What an epic thread! Congratulations AR! I don't think anyone else could have pulled it off.
                All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

• Thanks!
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Probably should have mentioned this earlier.

Here is an excellent online series about Sherman's Georgia Campaign told in 37 90-second installments...37 being the number of weeks from Dalton in the mountains to Savannah.

Prologue | Georgia Public Broadcasting
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• 150 years ago today 2 key events occurred.

Grant gave Sherman the green light to head to Savannah. And with that he decided that Thomas would run Hood to ground and defeat the Army of Tennessee.

It would seal the fate of the Confederacy.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Time to restart this....

Today is the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Lewis's Farm. This would the beginning of the Appomattox Campaign. It saw Joshua Chamberlain return to active campaigning after his grievous wounding the previous June, Gouverneur Warren actually accomplishing an offensive victory.

Petersburg had 5 days left.

Battle of Lewis's Farm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• excellent set of blogs from Disunion:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...-robert-e-lee/

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...e-slave-trade/
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I love me some Disunion blog!

Today twin battle occurred to extend the Union line around Lee's right flank.

Union forces finally get across Boydton Plank Road & Hatcher's Run in the battle of White Oak Road.

The Battle of White Oak Road Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org

Concurrently, SHeridan's cavalry would tangle in a losing fight with Fitz Lee's troopers and George Pickett's infantrymen in the Battle of DInwiddie Courthouse.

Battle of Dinwiddie Court House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The results of this day set the stage for a more dramatic engagement tomorrow.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• The Cavalry Corps of the AOP as well as the Vth Corps crush the forces under George Pickett at the Battle of Five Forks.

Controversy in command plagues both sides but Sheridan is able "to make hell temble!"

After almost 11 months Grant is finally around Lee's right flank.

The road the Southside Railroad is wide open. The Defense of Petersburg is now measured by a atch and not a calendar.

The Battle of Five Forks Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• 150 years ago today:

The Third Battle of Petersburg

Lee's army is shattered, as the VIth Corps used a massed corps column to smash through the extended line in the predawn light to finally puncture Lee's Petersburg defenses. The IXth Corps gains redemption by overwhelming its nemesis, Fort Mahone. The XIVth Corps subdues Forts Gregg & Whitworth.

The Confederate Government evacuates Richmond.

Third Battle of Petersburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

700 miles away to the Southwest, a MG James Wilson overruns Selma, AL, and defeats LTG Nathan B. Forrest's combined cavalry and militia.

Battle of Selma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The death knell of the Confederacy has been chimed.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X