No announcement yet.

Today in the American Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1850 Henry Clay's Omnibus Bill (the original Compromise of 1850 legislation) is defeated. This would lead to the eventual compromises which kept the fuse of civil war from igniting for a decade.

Compromise of 1850 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1862 The term Copperhead is used for the first time in writing by the Cincinnati Gazette. It was used to indicate people who would not admit they were Southern sympathizers, and "peace at any price" Democrats. People who did admit Southern sympathies were called "dough-heads." The paper used the term when referring to members of the Indiana Democratic Convention.

1864 Georgia Militia turn back George Stoneman's cavalry from the defenses at Macon, GA.

Battle of the Crater, Petersburg, VA

In one of the worst displays of leadership in the annals of the United States Army, troops from the IXth Corps, AOP, are fed into the resulting hole from the mine blast at Pegram’s Salient. The tragedy started the day prior when Meade ordered the IXth Corps commander, Ambrose Burnside, to select a different division than Edward Ferrero’s 4th, which was made up of USCT regiments and who had trained for the fight. Rather than displaying leadership for what was his own plan, Burnside instead had his remaining 3 division commanders draw straws to decide who would lead the assault. As misfortune would have it James Ledlie, arguably the worse division commander fo the entire ACW, “won” and his 1st Division made the assault. Ledlie was new to command having been elevated from brigade command due to his “aggressive” actions at North Anna…which were really the result of drunken bumbling. (Shek alluded to this when I posted about North Anna 2 months ago.)

He would continue with the same style. He hid in a bunker with a bottle while his brigades bumbled forward. No orders had been passed, no parties organized to clear obstacles (abates, tanglefoot, etc which greatly slowed the advance), no axes or shovels were provided to clear obstacles….and no ladders had been built or provided for the troops to get out of their trenches so they could advance forward. Despite initial success the assault quickly bogged down resulting in 5800 casualties for no good purpose.

As a result Ledlie was immediately cashiered and Burnside was shelved for the remainder of the war.

The Battle of The Crater Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org

‘How the Negroe’s Skulls Cracked’ – the Battle of the Crater | Civil War Daily Gazette
    Last edited by Albany Rifles; 30 Jul 14,, 20:22.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Buck, refresh my memory. Why did Meade override Burnside?
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
        Buck, refresh my memory. Why did Meade override Burnside?
        This gives a full accounting;

‘No, General. The Order is Final.’ – Meade Changes Burnside’s Plans at the Last Possible Moment | Civil War Daily Gazette

But the short answer was Grant and Meade were afraid that if had been a debacle and the 4th Division was slaughtered....and they were green troops and this was their first combat...it would be seen that the Federals had just thrown away those black troops because they were black.

It was a political decision.

In reality new troops would have been more likely to carry out the assault as the veterans had learned by then to get to cover quickly...which is why Ledlie's troops ran into the Crater....the biggest chunk of cover around...rather than go around it.
        Mark Twain

Comment

• 1861 11 Union officers are submitted to Congress to be promoted to brigadier general, including the following:

William B. Franklin
          Ulysses S. Grant
          Samuel Heintzelman
          Joseph Hooker
          William Tecumseh Sherman
          Ulysses S. Grant

1862 In response to Union General John Pope's order that citizens be shot as spies, Confederate President Jefferson Davis orders Pope's officers be held as felons and not prisoners-of-war.

Braxton Bragg [CS] and Kirby Smith [CS] meet in Chattanooga to agree on strategy against the Army of the Ohio.

1864 After slipping away from Hunter’s forces south fo the Potomac River on the 29th, Early’s forces burn Chambersburg, PA, in retaliation of Hunter’s burning of Lexington, VA.

‘They Seemed to Be Demons from the Infernal Pit’ – Chambersburg in Ashes | Civil War Daily Gazette

Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, Jr., with only 1300 cavalry, run down Stoneman’s 2200 Federal cavalrymen 19 miles NE of Macon. Iverson convinces Stoneman that the Federals are outnumbered. Stoneman surrenders with 600 of his men while the rest make their getaway.
          Mark Twain

Comment

• 1854 City of Lawrence, Kansas is founded

1856 Preston S. Brooks is elected to Congress to fill the vacancy he created by resigning

1857 Utah organizes its militia, the Nauvoo Legion, to fend off the US Army. Its name is based on the previous force which had been raised15 years earlier in the town of Nauvoo, IL.

1861 Tennessee votes to adopt the Constitution of the Confederate States of America

1863 Federal forces begin a prolonged bombardment of entrenchments around Charleston Harbor

David Porter assumes command of federal Navy forces on the Mississippi River.

1864 Grant had had enough. Phil Sheridan is named commander, Army of the Shenandoah.

‘I Am Sending General Sheridan’ – Grant Decides What’s Best for Washington | Civil War Daily Gazette
            Mark Twain

Comment

• 1854 City of Lawrence, Kansas is founded

1856 Preston S. Brooks is elected to Congress to fill the vacancy he created by resigning

1857 Utah organizes its militia, the Nauvoo Legion, to fend off the US Army. Its name is based on the previous force which had been raised15 years earlier in the town of Nauvoo, IL.

1861 Tennessee votes to adopt the Constitution of the Confederate States of America

1863 Federal forces begin a prolonged bombardment of entrenchments around Charleston Harbor

David Porter assumes command of federal Navy forces on the Mississippi River.

1864 Grant had had enough. Phil Sheridan is named commander, Army of the Shenandoah.

‘I Am Sending General Sheridan’ – Grant Decides What’s Best for Washington | Civil War Daily Gazette
              Mark Twain

Comment

• 1858. In a straight up or down vote the LeCompton Constitution is soundly defeated by the Kansas Territorial Legislature.

1861. A 3% income tax on income over $800 is passed by the US Congress to pay for the war effort.

1863. In the wake of the Gettysburg Campaign the AOP & ANV establish lines along the Rappahanock River.

1864. Union and Confederate cavalry skirmish near Hancock, MD.
                Mark Twain

Comment

• 1861 Off the coast of Virginia a Union naval vessel sends John LaMountain aloft in a tethered balloon to look at Confederate controlled Hampton Roads. It is the first balloon ascent from a ship in naval history

Naval History Blog » Blog Archive » The Birth of the Aircraft Carrier

1864 Gordon Granger lands 2 divisions on Dauphin Island and invests Fort Gaines, one of two forts defending Mobile Bay.

Sheridan arrives in Washington to take command of his new Department.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• 1864 Farragut concentrates his fleet in preparation of storming Mobile Bay. He assembles a fleet of 37 vessels.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• 1850. The James Pearce Plan for the Compromise of 1850 is proposed. Under this plan Texas retains more land and receives $10 million for the land it gives up. It is this plan that is finally adopted in the Compromise

1861 Abraham Lincoln approves a wide variety of bills passed during a special session of Congress including a new issue of bonds, tariff increase and the first direct income and real estate tax.

1862 Battle of Baton Rouge:

Breckinridge’s attempt to take the state capitol is halted by Brigadier General Thomas Williams and the US Navy

Battle of Baton Rouge (1862) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Union forces under Joseph Hooker retake Malvern Hill with only light Confederate resistance. These troops withdraw the next day.

1863 In a letter to Nathaniel Banks, Abraham Lincoln states 'I am an anti-slavery man' and goes on to state he would never return a "negro" freed under the Emancipation Proclamation to slavery.

1864 DAMN THE TORPEDOES!!! GO AHEAD!! The Battle of Mobile Bay.

At Last the Ram was Conquered – The Battle of Mobile Bay | Civil War Daily Gazette

The Battle of Mobile Bay Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org

As a young child I believe this was the first picture of naval combat in the Civil War and it has always stuck with me. As a 7 year old aboard the Constitution in Boston Harbor with my Dad I always remembered this pictured and tried to imagine what it was like to be there at Mobile.

Attached Files
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• I always remembered this pictured and tried to imagine what it was like to be there at Mobile.
                        i'd imagine if i were a swabbie who just overheard the man, i'd be pissing myself and thinking various thoughts of Farragut-cide.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• 1850 Millard Fillmore, in a message to Congress, urges the payment of Texas for abandoning her claims to a portion of New Mexico.

1861 First Confiscation Act or The Confiscation Act of 1861 allows federals to seize property used in the insurrection, essentially freeing slaves forced to participate in the Confederate war effort.

Second Session of the Second Wheeling Convention is called to order.

Lt. Bull Nelson of the U. S. Navy is ordered to build a camp where Kentucky residents can train for service in the Kentucky militia. Nelson names the camp for the owner of the property in Garrard County, Captain Dick Robinson.

1862 Battle of Kirksville, Missouri.

Union Brigadier General Robert McCook, ill and riding in an ambulance, is attacked by Confederate raiders between Athens, AL and Descherd, TN. He dies from his wounds.

And on that note this thread will go on hiatus....unless others choose to post....I am heading out to the beach for 2 weeks and won't be on the Net.

See everyone 21 AUG!
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• AAAAANd we're back!

1859 John Brown meets with Frederick Douglass at Chambersburg, PA.

1861 The pro-Union Second Wheeling Convention calls for the creation of the state of Kanawha (West Virginia).

1864 The Battle of Globe Tavern/Halifax Road/Second Weldon Railroad concludes with Warren’s Vth Corps astride the Halifax Road & Weldon Railroad line south of Petersburg. AP Hill’s counterattack stopped Warren. Union forces build Fort Wadsworth on the site and extend their siege lines westward from the Jerusalem Plank Road.

Cavalry combat at Lovejoy's Station on the Macon & Western Railroad in Georgia

1866 A proclaimation of peace with Texas is issued by United States President Andrew Johnson
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Welcome back!
                              All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                              -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

• Thanks
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X