Clear All

• Bluesman
    replied
    Bumpity-boo.

Anybody?

Leave a comment:

• Bluesman
    replied
    Sorry; I think I dropped the ball on this, but it's time to revive it.

Okay...

Here we go again...

Two famous Confederate FEMALE spies had a common tie: blockade runners.

One died when the one she sailed aboard failed to complete its trip. The other married one of her captors when the ship she was aboard also failed.

Name the women and the ships they made famous.

Leave a comment:

• Albany Rifles
    replied
    69th NY

Michael Corchoran BG
    Thomas Meagher BG
    Robert Nugent BG
    Patrick Kelly BG (KIA at Petersburg, never received his promotion...died after confirmed as BG USV)

45th ILL

John Eugene Smith BG
    Jasper A. Maltby BG
    John Rawlins BG

Okay, a technicality

Ely Parker's BG was backdated to 9 APR 65...originally it was dated June 65.

Leave a comment:

• Bluesman
    replied
    Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Well, the 69th New York and the 45th Illinois each produced 4 generals so I am not sure which regiment you are the referring to.
    REALLY? I didn't know that. During the war years?

Because the regiment I'm thinking of was the 154th Tennesssee (Senior) Regiment. It was also known as the 1st Regiment of Tennessee Volunteers...but not to this who served in it.

Okay, gotta think of another toughie...

Leave a comment:

• Albany Rifles
    replied
    Well, the 69th New York and the 45th Illinois each produced 4 generals so I am not sure which regiment you are the referring to.

Leave a comment:

• Bluesman
    replied
    Anybody?

Leave a comment:

• Bluesman
    replied
    Only counting the war years, from the ranks of this volunteer regiment came four brigadier generals (three confirmed, one acting), the most of any non-Regular regiment. It was the only unit granted permission to designate itself as the senior regiment from its state.

Leave a comment:

• Bluesman
    replied
    Okay, time's up.

Roger Preston Chew was only 19 years old, Milton Rouse 17 years old, and James Thomson 18 years old the day the three appeared before their former VMI artillery instructor, Col. Thomas J. Jackson, to offer their services as volunteers in the new army of the Confederate States of America. At the suggestion of Turner Ashby, flamboyant commander of Jackson's cavalry in the Shenandoah Valley, the three were commissioned, respectively, Captain, First Lieutenant, and Second Lieutenant of an artillery battery that would revolutionize the tactics of the American Civil War.

Chew's Battery, armed with an imported British Blakely rifled cannon, a 12-pounder smoothbore and a 3-inch iron rifle, became the first of several horse artillery batteries organized and employed by Confederate cavalry commanders.
    Lemme think of another good'un...

Leave a comment:

• Bluesman
    replied
    No, but what a helluva man. Every bit as renowned as Pelham.

Anybody else?

Leave a comment:

• Albany Rifles
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
    Okay, trivia warriors...NO GOOGLING/BINGING or searching of any kind! (I want to see who knows THIS factoid.)

Who organized the first battery of Confederate horse artillery?
    MAJ James Breathed and the 1st Stuart Horse Artillery Battery

Leave a comment:

• Bluesman
    replied
    Okay, trivia warriors...NO GOOGLING/BINGING or searching of any kind! (I want to see who knows THIS factoid.)

Who organized the first battery of Confederate horse artillery?

Leave a comment:

• Shek
    replied
    Uncle Billy.
    Your question - it was Sherman for those who aren't familiar with his nickname.

Leave a comment:

• Bluesman
    replied
    Originally posted by Shek View Post
    Having just finished Shelby Foote's third volume, it wasn't too difficult.

This commander was relieved of command for insanity early in the war. He was later restored to command and promoted both in rank and in position.
    Uncle Billy.

Leave a comment:

• Shek
    replied
    Too easy?

Good shot, and fire away.
    Having just finished Shelby Foote's third volume, it wasn't too difficult.

This commander was relieved of command for insanity early in the war. He was later restored to command and promoted both in rank and in position.

Leave a comment:

• Bluesman
    replied
    Originally posted by Shek View Post
    "Lee to the rear!"
    Too easy?

Good shot, and fire away.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X