Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Excellent question!
    And an excellent answer. How many fought 'blood' against 'blood' and went through similar situations? Sad, but that's war I suppose.

Comment

Okay, still my question.

And here it is:
      THREE TIMES, this commander's men threatened mutiny and disobedience, unless HE obeyed THEM. Each time, he obeyed, and none of the soldiers were ever punished, but instead were lauded by their commander and the entire country as heroes.

Name the commander and what did his men order him to do?

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
        And an excellent answer. How many fought 'blood' against 'blood' and went through similar situations? Sad, but that's war I suppose.
        Imagine, if you can, the searing pain of a father writing home to his wife, his son's mother, with the news of what had just happened.

I think about that sometimes, and I almost break down.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
          Okay, still my question.

And here it is:
          THREE TIMES, this commander's men threatened mutiny and disobedience, unless HE obeyed THEM. Each time, he obeyed, and none of the soldiers were ever punished, but instead were lauded by their commander and the entire country as heroes.

Name the commander and what did his men order him to do?
          "Lee to the rear!"
          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
            "Lee to the rear!"
            Too easy?

Good shot, and fire away.

Comment

Too easy?

Good shot, and fire away.
              Having just finished Shelby Foote's third volume, it wasn't too difficult.

This commander was relieved of command for insanity early in the war. He was later restored to command and promoted both in rank and in position.
              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                Having just finished Shelby Foote's third volume, it wasn't too difficult.

This commander was relieved of command for insanity early in the war. He was later restored to command and promoted both in rank and in position.
                Uncle Billy.

Comment

Uncle Billy.
                  Your question - it was Sherman for those who aren't familiar with his nickname.

Comment

Okay, trivia warriors...NO GOOGLING/BINGING or searching of any kind! (I want to see who knows THIS factoid.)

Who organized the first battery of Confederate horse artillery?

Comment

Okay, trivia warriors...NO GOOGLING/BINGING or searching of any kind! (I want to see who knows THIS factoid.)

Who organized the first battery of Confederate horse artillery?
                      MAJ James Breathed and the 1st Stuart Horse Artillery Battery
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

No, but what a helluva man. Every bit as renowned as Pelham.

Anybody else?

Comment

Okay, time's up.

Roger Preston Chew was only 19 years old, Milton Rouse 17 years old, and James Thomson 18 years old the day the three appeared before their former VMI artillery instructor, Col. Thomas J. Jackson, to offer their services as volunteers in the new army of the Confederate States of America. At the suggestion of Turner Ashby, flamboyant commander of Jackson's cavalry in the Shenandoah Valley, the three were commissioned, respectively, Captain, First Lieutenant, and Second Lieutenant of an artillery battery that would revolutionize the tactics of the American Civil War.

Chew's Battery, armed with an imported British Blakely rifled cannon, a 12-pounder smoothbore and a 3-inch iron rifle, became the first of several horse artillery batteries organized and employed by Confederate cavalry commanders.
                          Lemme think of another good'un...

Comment

Only counting the war years, from the ranks of this volunteer regiment came four brigadier generals (three confirmed, one acting), the most of any non-Regular regiment. It was the only unit granted permission to designate itself as the senior regiment from its state.

Comment

Anybody?

Comment

Well, the 69th New York and the 45th Illinois each produced 4 generals so I am not sure which regiment you are the referring to.
                                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X