No announcement yet.

Toughest soldiers in history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, they had Alexander, too. That probably counted for something.

Prof

Comment

I will vote for the Mongols as the first choice.

Among South Asians, Gurkhas, Sikhs, Rajputs and Pushtoons. Among East Asians, Japanese. Among Europeans, Russians. I have great respect for Brits as well. Amricans kick arse too.
      There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t..

Comment

I vote the women.

The hardest soldier in history don't stand a chance at home with a wife and rolling pin.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          I vote the women.

The hardest soldier in history don't stand a chance at home with a wife and rolling pin.
          So very true. Their interrogation techniques are also outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by BrenGun View Post
            Just by saying "no" is enough to send a grown many to tears. They have a nose that a bloodhound would be proud of. Try brushing passed another woman where a microdots worth of perfume falls on you. You will be accused of going with every woman in Hamburg's Reeperbahn

Comment

Originally posted by BrenGun View Post
              B/G If the gal in your avatar was to interrogate me i would be like putty and jellied knees .

Comment

That is why you never show them were you live old boy... ;)
                To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Kinda hard to do that when #1 Daughter knows the way home.

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                    Apache Indian and Nguyen of the north. No quarter asked nor given with these studs, IMV.
                    Apache dog soldiers , yes well worthy of a mention .;)

Comment

I think the Roman Soldier deseves a mention,just look at all theaters from Cairo to Carlisle.

Comment

Kinda hard to do that when #1 Daughter knows the way home.
                        Bread crumbs/sugar/butter cookies the opposite way old sport...:)
                        To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Is it true that the Apache could march 50 miles a day or was that an exageration?
                          All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                          -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                            Is it true that the Apache could march 50 miles a day or was that an exageration?
                            I believe that they could. They were far more oriented to being foot soldiers rather than mounted like the plains Indians.

By almost always traveling extremely light, and being inured since youth to heat, thirst, and low rations, they were able to set up a dog-trot that they could keep up for many, many hours.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                              Apache dog soldiers , yes well worthy of a mention .;)
                              Tankie:

Apache Dog Soldiers? I haven't run across that term except in association with a Cheyenne Indian political/military association that was hopping around on the Great Plains during the late 19th century here. Those guys were certainly regarded as being pretty tough, by both the US cavalry and the infantry (who actually did a measureably better job) during the Indian Wars. However, they were light cavalry.

The Anthropological Prof

Comment

Originally posted by Prof View Post
                                Tankie:

Apache Dog Soldiers? I haven't run across that term except in association with a Cheyenne Indian political/military association that was hopping around on the Great Plains during the late 19th century here. Those guys were certainly regarded as being pretty tough, by both the US cavalry and the infantry (who actually did a measureably better job) during the Indian Wars. However, they were light cavalry.

The Anthropological Prof
                                Hmm , im misinformed by cowboy books again .

Comment

Working...
                                X