This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Revolutionary War Book Recommendations

I am looking for a good recommendation for some books on George Rogers Clark and his Revolutionary War Campaigns.

I have seen some listed but I am wondering if any WABbits have anything to add or recommend.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Background to Glory by John Bakless

Also, History of George Rogers Clark’s conquest of the Illinois and the Wabash towns, 1778 and 1779 Or George Rogers Clark's own account:
    Col. George Rogers Clark’s sketch of his campaign in the Illinois in 1778-9

Comment

Thanks!!!

I'll look for it when I am done with my CW Trans Mississippi Tour prep!
      Mark Twain

Comment

try

www.jstor.com

use

www.bugmenot.com to get in

Comment

Originally posted by Gallowglass View Post
          Thank you
          Mark Twain

Comment

All

I just finished reading Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fischer. It is an excellent telling of the Winter Campaign of 1776/77. I highly recommend this most readable history to anyoen remotely interested in the American Revolution. Don't be put off by its apparent heft. It has excellent notes, maps and a great historiography of Revolutionary War writing. A great read.
            Mark Twain

Comment

A great book about the American Revolution in general, not only the fights is The American Revolution - What Really Happened by Alan Axelrod. I even made a review of the book, but unfortunately it is not in English.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                All

I just finished reading Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fischer. It is an excellent telling of the Winter Campaign of 1776/77. I highly recommend this most readable history to anyoen remotely interested in the American Revolution. Don't be put off by its apparent heft. It has excellent notes, maps and a great historiography of Revolutionary War writing. A great read.
                One of my favorite books. His book on Revere is good also.

Comment

And on this day in 1783...the British evacuated New York.

For all intents and purposes, the Revolutionary War was over with an improbable American victory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacuation_Day_(New_York)
                  Mark Twain

Comment

was Thanksgiving day chosen in part to commemorate this date?

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                      was Thanksgiving day chosen in part to commemorate this date?
                      No...there were several Thanksgiving Days in our history.

The current goes back to Lincoln's proclamation making the 4th Thursday of Novemeber a Day of national Thanksgiving to commemorate the Union success at Chattanooga in 1863. The actual date became a federal holiday with a law passed by Congress in 1941.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...up-on-thursday
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Always loved "1776"

Comment

Working...
                        X