This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    Well now, since my wife was in the Hungarian Revolution she always marveled at one trick the fighters used to bring Russian tanks to a stop so they could get good aim at them with Molotov Cocktails.

Pie Pans.

Turned upside down in the street they looked like anti-tank mines. The tanks would stop and the freedom fighters in the upper floors or roofs of buildings could easily lob the cocktails on them through the air grids in the engine or an open hatch.

No, I don't know if they said Frisbie on them or not.
    wow. that was an excellent idea !
    If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

• Originally posted by braindead View Post
      wow. that was an excellent idea !
      Yeah, until the Soviets dismounted the infantry, saw what they were and then got pissed off!
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Nobody has said if I answered the question correctly or not. But here's another question on the trickery of the Magyar Freedom Fighters.

A road curves around some buildings but the outside of the curve is at a lower elevation to allow rain water to run down into a drainage area that is a shallow "ditch" that also supports high voltage power lines.

What did Freedom Fighters do with this set-up?
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Looks like nobody wants to answer this question. Maybe it's because they don't know who a Magyar is (a true Hungarian of Finnish & Ugrian lineage - NOT a Gypsy that is short for Egyptian).

They would make the curve slick with oil, grease or soapy water. They would make an attack on a tank and then run around the corner making the tank crew chase after them.

When hitting the slippery area, it would skid off into the ditch and another Magyar up on the power pole would cut a high tension wire to drop on the tank to turn it into a convection oven.

However, I had also heard (from other '56 Hungarians) that the idea of dropping a high voltage line was not originally thought of until a skidding tank actually took out a pole and the line broke dropping onto it.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Well that is an interesting bit of history and makes for an electrifying ambush.

Comment

• At the end of the reign of this rather gregarious English monarch, after being reject by the Scottish parliament for the hand of Mary, Queen of Scots, launched a campaign to devastate Scotland.

The intial battle, which included some Scottish nobles taken prisoner during the Battle of Solway Moss who were fighting for the English, was a disaster for the English.

What was the name of this battle and the date it occurred?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kansas Bear View Post
                At the end of the reign of this rather gregarious English monarch, after being reject by the Scottish parliament for the hand of Mary, Queen of Scots, launched a campaign to devastate Scotland.

The intial battle, which included some Scottish nobles taken prisoner during the Battle of Solway Moss who were fighting for the English, was a disaster for the English.

What was the name of this battle and the date it occurred?
                Battle of Ancrum Moor, February 27, 1545 ?
                When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

• Correct, sir. Your turn!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kansas Bear View Post
                    Correct, sir. Your turn!
                    Name this Vizier of the Moghul empire who blinded and imprisoned one of his emperors and assassinated another?

Comment

• Ghaziudin Khan Bahadur?
                      My Mantra
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by iar1 View Post
                        Ghaziudin Khan Bahadur?
                        You got it , post a question :)

Comment

• Name the Byzantine emperor, who asked Pope Urban II for help when invading Turks threatened his empire?
                          My Mantra
                          sigpic

Comment

Name the Byzantine emperor, who asked Pope Urban II for help when invading Turks threatened his empire?
                            Comnenus ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
                              Comnenus ?
                              That is the name of the dynasty. I am looking for a particular emperor of that dynasty.
                              My Mantra
                              sigpic

Comment

That is the name of the dynasty. I am looking for a particular emperor of that dynasty.
                                Alexios I

Comment

Working...
                                X