Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if America Had Remained Part of the Crown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if America Had Remained Part of the Crown?

I can't remember if we've ever had this "what if?" before, and it seems appropriate given the date today (July 4th).

What if the relatively few hotheads in the Colonies had been overridden by the majority of their fellows who wanted to remain part of the British Empire, and the American War of Independence had never happened?

I'm not heading in any particular direction, I'm just kind of interested in the discussion. How would things have looked through the last 230 years? No American Civil War? A different Civil War? Millions of American dead in WWI maybe? No difference at all?

-dale

We all still be drinking tea.

A different Civil War scenario looks very interesting. The outlawing of slavery in the British Empire circa 1830s brings about the dixie states declaring independence. Would the North still have been more industrialized, if the US had followed the British colonial pattern of providing raw materials to Britain in exchange for manufactured goods? If that was the case, would the North itself still have retained slavery because it is still agrarian? If so, would there had been an American Revolution in the 1830s, over the issue of slavery, of all things?

Ouch, I'm gonna stop now before I give myself a headache.

Edit: Guess I can't help myself. Before we even get that far, what about the Napoleonic Wars and the Council of Vienna? Would there been a French Revolution if there wasn't a American Revolution? What if France had hanged on to the land that would become the Louisiana purchase? How the hell would we predict what would happen in 1914 if we can't be sure what would happen in 1800?

Alright, now I have a headache. It's all your fault dalem.
    Last edited by lazybastard; 04 Jul 07,, 22:47.

Comment

The US would have become a Dominion and dictated who sat on the throne.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        The US would have become a Dominion and dictated who sat on the throne.
        Colonel-

I am woefully ignorant of the period. What status does/did a Dominion have vs. a colony? How could that have affected succession?

-dale

Comment

Would we have expanded westward as aggressively as we did had we remained with the British Empire? Would we have bought Lousiana from the French? Would we have bought Alaska from the Russians?

Suffice to say, the world would be a very different place had we remained with the empire. For better or for worse, I cannot begin to imagine.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            Would we have bought Lousiana from the French?

Most likely if we remained part of the British Empire, we would have invaded the Louisiana territory instead of purchasing it from Napoleon.

Comment

The chances are that you would be speaking correctly, employing better manners and even spelling things the right way!
              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                Colonel-

I am woefully ignorant of the period. What status does/did a Dominion have vs. a colony? How could that have affected succession?

-dale
                Using Canada as the example, basically an independent country with the Crown still the head of state and the Foreign Office having the final but not the most important say in Foreign matters.

Our armies are our own and we could and did told Kitchener to take a hike when he wanted to absorb Canadian regiments into the British Army.

As a Dominion, the Governor General is decided within the country and not in London. The succession to the Crown is also dependent on acceptance by the Dominion. Canada was not going to accept Edward as King and would've refused to accept him as King of Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                  I can't remember if we've ever had this "what if?" before, and it seems appropriate given the date today (July 4th).

What if the relatively few hotheads in the Colonies had been overridden by the majority of their fellows who wanted to remain part of the British Empire, and the American War of Independence had never happened?

-dale
                  if you'd stayed within the Empire/commonwealth then you wouldn't owe us anything like the amount in back-Taxes that you do.

and you'd put the letter 'U' in words too..

happy birthday septics.
                  before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by dave angel View Post
                    if you'd stayed within the Empire/commonwealth then you wouldn't owe us anything like the amount in back-Taxes that you do.

and you'd put the letter 'U' in words too..

happy birthday septics.
                    Well, they will have to mend their ways before we let them back in.
                    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

happy birthday septics.
                      Septics!!...naughty boy Dave

Comment

i didn't know you were a cockney, dave! now look what you've done, all the brits 'ere are gonna rabbit all night, garn!
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                          i didn't know you were a cockney, dave! now look what you've done, all the brits 'ere are gonna rabbit all night, garn!
                          'eeez a mahnkey! makes yur raight prahd it duz, jabber jabber, some old shite made-up for the benefit of tourists on the basis that a fool and his money are soon parted, dog 'n bone, apple and pears, trouble 'n strife...

Dave Angel, a man respected about the town (well, in some of the less expensive whorehouses anyway...), would like to make clear that his is not some dreadful Dick van ****-esque charactor with pearly buttons on his suit and a penchant for talking utter boll0cks that only some deranged Dickensian would have a hope of understanding....

anyway, happy birthday septics (its not really the abusive version it may perhaps once have been, 'yanks' is no longer fashionable, 'spams' has some currency, but hasn't really caught the imagination, but 'septics' has leapt into the living language like a big leaping thing).

E2A: Mods and Admins, you really need to sort out the word sensor, you can say 'Bush' but not 'D yke', whas goin' on?
                          Last edited by dave angel; 05 Jul 07,, 22:33. Reason: wildly over-sensitive word censor...
                          before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

When I think of the revolutionary period I find it hard to imagine the loyalists turning back the tide of independence. But there was a period where the hotheads were held in check by practical men like Franklin and Adams, who believed some connection with England was still possible.

The first Continental Congress was formed with exactly that in mind. It drafted a petition to the King for redress of grievances and waited and waited. When colonial patience ran out, a second Continental Congress was formed to pave the way for independence. It also served as the central government of the colonies. One of its first acts was to create the Continental Army.

Had the king wanted to ease tensions up to that point he might have succeeded, and the course of US history would have been different. But after hearing that Congress was debating independence, he reacted belligerently. First he declared the colonies to be in open revolt and then passed an act confiscating all American-owned shipping. I think he was sick too--pissing blue was it?

The king also signed a deal with the German states to hire mercenaries to help subdue the colonialists. The mood in Congress changed rapidly. At that point only 2-3 diehard loyalists were left in Congress. The declaration was drafted in June 1776 and passed a few weeks later.

So, if you were to frame the question in light of the times, the question might be, 'what if the king had consented to have a delegation come to London to discuss the grievances of the colonies'? Had he met the colonists halfway and bestowed on them a dominion-like status, the world would be very different today.

Maybe Canada might stretch from the artic to the tip of Florida and include what is today most of the eastern and midwestern US. Maybe other nations would share the North American continent, such as a vastly larger Mexico stretching all the way to the Pacific and comprising much of the southwest. Also there might be a larger Russia comprising Alaska down as far as the territory that is now the upper tier states of Washington and Montana.

Damn, dale, you picked a lulu.
                            Last edited by JAD_333; 05 Jul 07,, 22:44.
                            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

E2A: Mods and Admins, you really need to sort out the word sensor, you can say 'Bush' but not 'D yke', whas goin' on?
                              ****o, I mean b o f f o.:
                              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Working...
                              X