Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry

So my wife is a Horton, her 5th Great Grandfather is Isaac (Ikey) Horton who is buried in the Watts Cemetery in Searcy County, AR. He is a vet of the war of 1812. His dad also named Isaac Horton is buried in the Isaac Horton Cemetery in Collingwood, TN, he is a ARW vet who was a Continental as a member of the 5th Massachusetts. In digging some more she has 5 other 5+ great grandfathers who are ARW vets. I have encouraged her to apply for membership in Daughters of the American Revolution. I don't think any of them are particularly notable figures but damn what a pedigree. So we started digging into mine. My name sakes are from Canada via France. However in following the Price and Smith lines I do have a ACW veteran in the 73rd Missouri Enrolled Militia and an ARW ancestor who was a 2nd Lt in the militia in Virginia. Given my Southern roots, I was kinda nervous too see who would pop up during the ACW. Really glad it was a Union ancestor.

Anyway, next weekend we are going to drive to the Isaac Horton Cemetery so she can she her ultimate American ancestor (He was born in England). The digging has been fun and is an outgrowth of a journey that started 4 years ago when we set out to find her family cemetery. He Grandfather had moved out of the hills before WWII and so she grew up with some stories but no contact. We found it, and then a year later I had to deliver to a house directly across the street from the cemetery with the sur name Horton. I told him he was kin to my wife and they started talking buy phone and email. Then Covid hit, so we finally made it up for the Memorial Day weekend cemetery clean up. She got to meet a lot of distant cousins. One of them lead us over to the Watts Cemetery where Isaac (Ikey) is buried.

Whose buried in your past?
    Attached Files

Very interesting. 5th Massachusetts Line was the real deal. They were mustered in on 14 June 1775...the day the US Army were born. It was raised from Minutemen companies from around Boston. Lexington & Concord, Bunker Hill, Siege of Boston, New York Campaign, Trenton, Princeton, Saratoga and continued in service outside of New York until mustered out at the end of the war. They were there when it was the hardest. They are the men Thomas Paine was writing about in The American Crisis. Real hard men.

My wife is doing here family. She had an ancestor who was in The First Muster. Several in her family served in various wars. Her Dad was a WW 2 Army Air Force vet and Mom a WW 2 Army Nurse. My older brother and sister are doing our family...the Buchanans (Dad) and the Grahams (Mom). My Dad's parents emigrated to Boston from Nova Scotia in 1910. My Mom's from Prince Edward Island around the same time. Both couples met and married in Boston. My granddad didn't serve in the military but was a Boston fireman for 50 tears (1910-1960). Both my Dad & uncle served in the Navy...my dad for 2 years 1944-46 on a carrier. My uncle was Navy pilot 1938 to 1964. My Mom lost her cousin off of Taiwan 1 APR 45 when his Navy patrol bomber was shot down...he was a gunner. Both had relatives back in Canada who fought in WW 1 & WW 2, I had a cousin who served in the Canadian Army during the Cold War. He did a few peacekeeping tours.

And despite my passion for Civil War history non one from my family was here to fight in it.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Pretty sure we're mainly from Planet Earth, but aside from some 17th c. guy in Prince William County Va (a place now underneath Quantico), no prior records exist.
      Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

AR thanks for the info, he was in a later muster serving from 1781-83 at West Point ferrying people back and forth between Ft Arnold and Constitution Island.

Ended up needing a pension so his application is still existent.
        Last edited by zraver; 30 May 22,, 23:31.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
          AR thanks for the info, he was in a later muster serving from 1781-83 at West Point ferrying people back and forth between Ft Arnold and Constitution Island.

Ended up needing a pension so his application is still existent.
          Still a very distinguished regiment and service on his part was service....more than most.

And both pasts are now West Point.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

She has started the process of joining DAR. When they found out who her principal ancestor is, she only needs to provide the details linking her to the tree already established in their records as 40 other descendants of Isaac Horton have been members of DAR over the years.

Comment

Working...
            X