Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Reincarnation

  1. #1
    tankie Military Professional tankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Nov 06
    Location
    Darlington UK
    Posts
    13,341

    Reincarnation

    A lot of cultures believe in reincarnation , im interested in as to why , is it possible / is it real ? any thoughts ladies/gents , if this topic has been done before i appologise for reincarnating it


    Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being REAL gets you hated.

  2. #2
    Vinod2070's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Feb 07
    Location
    India
    Posts
    686
    There are some strange stories that one keeps hearing. Like a young kid in a village start speaking American accented English suddenly without any education and this being attributed to reincarnation. I guess this incident was reported in a UP village a few months back. I guess most of such things are made up and die their natural death.

    Hindu religion does believe in reincarnation. I think the idea is that you are struck with the cycle of life and death till you manage to get out of it by pleasing God.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who donít..

  3. #3
    THL
    THL is offline
    Senior Contributor THL's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Jun 05
    Location
    35 minutes outside Chicago (please don't refer to it as "Chi-Town"...that's annoying)
    Posts
    5,910
    Buddhism has samara (the wheel of life, or the process of being reborn over and over). As long as we are generating karma, we continue to be reborn to go through the karma we have generated. This keeps on until we are able to "use up" all our karma and achieve nirvana.

    Basically, it is believed that we are here until we get it right and reap the actions of all our past lives and then we get to stop being reborn. Pretty much...earth is our hell. :P
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

    "I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

    "I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

    "He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

  4. #4
    Bluesman's beloved Military Professional Capt Bluesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Dec 07
    Location
    Vacaville, CA
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by tankie View Post
    is it possible / is it real ?
    No. No, it's not.
    Last edited by Capt Bluesman; 01 Jan 08, at 23:14. Reason: fix coding

  5. #5
    Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Jan 06
    Location
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Posts
    22,784
    Quote Originally Posted by tankie View Post
    A lot of cultures believe in reincarnation , im interested in as to why , is it possible / is it real ? any thoughts ladies/gents , if this topic has been done before i appologise for reincarnating it
    I believe any form of afterlife, be it heaven or reincarnation, came out of our fear of death and our question of "what happens to our experiences and memories" after we die.

    We don't want to leave our loved ones and head off to the great unknown, so we make up something to give us some comfort.

    Are any of these afterlife concepts real or possible? I don't know. But I know I can't prove that they are not real.

    The comedian George Carlin did offer a simple proof that argues reincarnation is not real. There are way more people now than ever before. We can't possibly have that many souls to inhabit all these new bodies. So someone has been printing up souls...
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

  6. #6
    tankie Military Professional tankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Nov 06
    Location
    Darlington UK
    Posts
    13,341
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    I believe any form of afterlife, be it heaven or reincarnation, came out of our fear of death and our question of "what happens to our experiences and memories" after we die.

    We don't want to leave our loved ones and head off to the great unknown, so we make up something to give us some comfort.

    Are any of these afterlife concepts real or possible? I don't know. But I know I can't prove that they are not real.

    The comedian George Carlin did offer a simple proof that argues reincarnation is not real. There are way more people now than ever before. We can't possibly have that many souls to inhabit all these new bodies. So someone has been printing up souls
    ...
    That was one of the things i thought about , the mathematical side of it ? where do all the new ones (souls) come from ? , i was talking to a Thai person about the subjuct ( buddhists) and i thought they were REAL believers in the subject , but the answer i got from one them was a bit of an eye opener , he said ,, nahhh we dont know , its something we tell our children to stop them being frightened or vise versa ??? His opinion tho , not everyones who are Buddhists i suspect ?
    Last edited by tankie; 02 Jan 08, at 04:43.


    Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being REAL gets you hated.

  7. #7
    Officer of Engineers
    Guest
    Matter nor energy cannot be created nor destroyed. The sum total of the universe remains constant.

  8. #8
    Military Enthusiast Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    15 Aug 03
    Posts
    4,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bluesman View Post
    No. No, it's not.
    That's just a matter of opinion, not a fact.

  9. #9
    tankie Military Professional tankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Nov 06
    Location
    Darlington UK
    Posts
    13,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Matter nor energy cannot be created nor destroyed. The sum total of the universe remains constant.
    Einstien Col ????????????????? or his cousin Frankenstien


    Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being REAL gets you hated.

  10. #10
    Military Enthusiast Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    15 Aug 03
    Posts
    4,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Matter nor energy cannot be created nor destroyed. The sum total of the universe remains constant.
    Actually, some scientists are beginning to disagree with you. The Big Bang theory would not work if that above axiom was true. The universe keeps expanding.

  11. #11
    Officer of Engineers
    Guest
    Space is expanding.

  12. #12
    tankie Military Professional tankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Nov 06
    Location
    Darlington UK
    Posts
    13,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Space is expanding.
    Got to disagree Col , space is infinite , its the matter in it ie the universe ( the matter/energy ) that is expanding ? IMO

    And maybe the reason that galaxies collide and are reborn ? there we go back on thread
    Last edited by tankie; 02 Jan 08, at 05:11.


    Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being REAL gets you hated.

  13. #13
    Vinod2070's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Feb 07
    Location
    India
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by tankie View Post
    Got to disagree Col , space is infinite , its the matter in it ie the universe ( the matter/energy ) that is expanding ? IMO

    And maybe the reason that galaxies collide and are reborn ? there we go back on thread
    I read something different when I studied the general theory of relativity. Has something changed?
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who donít..

  14. #14
    Officer of Engineers
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tankie View Post
    Got to disagree Col , space is infinite , its the matter in it ie the universe ( the matter/energy ) that is expanding ? IMO
    Well, no. Dimensions (as in distance in whatever direction you want to point) did not exist before the Big Bang. From that point on, space expanded. It's a hard mathematical concept to grasp but essentially we have zero space at the point of the Big Bang. That's how the math works.

  15. #15
    tankie Military Professional tankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Nov 06
    Location
    Darlington UK
    Posts
    13,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Well, no. Dimensions (as in distance in whatever direction you want to point) did not exist before the Big Bang. From that point on, space expanded. It's a hard mathematical concept to grasp but essentially we have zero space at the point of the Big Bang. That's how the math works.
    Thanks , i will take you at your word then


    Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being REAL gets you hated.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Are you religious beliefs logically consistent?
    By Leader in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 275
    Last Post: 07 Jan 08,, 09:09
  2. Philosophy
    By Bulgaroctonus in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 241
    Last Post: 04 Feb 06,, 04:56

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •