Outstanding work, long may WAB prosper.
Well Done Matt.
Attached are screenshots of:
- daily visits from Google Analytics for a selected period
- weekly posts for a selected period
The results are clear to see. We have succeeded in sparking a renaissance as far as activity and visitor traffic to the site is concerned.
We have accomplished the following goals and objectives:
- more clearly defined the purpose and nature of WAB (a geopolitical/defense site)
- fully integrated WAB with the primary web 2.0 social networking platform: Facebook
- installed an ad-free Google Search engine, exclusive to WAB, without ads at cost as a service to our loyal membership (a response to numerous member complaints)
- had necessary server maintenance/upgrade performed to improve the functioning and load time of WAB (a thanks to Rochen Limited - premier performance hosting, our partners and sponsors of 7.5 years
- installed an advanced statistics modification to display latest 15 posts, and the hottest threads and most active users of the past 30 days
- reinstalled the upgraded version of the users active in the last 24 hours (at bottom)
- successfully developed a new staff structure, with more clearly defined roles and responsibilities for staff, such as: recruiting additional administrators, defining administrator and moderator roles/responsibilities, delegated more broad oversight for category administrators in the development and nurturing of their respective categories, developed means for a flexible, firm, but non-rigid staff structure
- more clearly defined the topics that belong in each category, to avoid the posting of threads in the incorrect forums, with necessary redundancy to avoid a situation where there are threads without an appropriate forum
- made the forum guidelines more prominent in the navigation bar, and inserted them into the terms and conditions upon registration of a new account
- instituted anti-spam measures, which brought spammer registration to a complete halt
- developed a temporary design that is easier to read, and comes in a narrow and widescreen version depending on member preference
- reached out to and built bridges to other professional sites and communities
- increased forum activity by 250%, and visitor traffic by 300-350%
- a "chatbox" in the World Affairs Board Pub
Though I completed most of the work, it was based on the direct feedback, suggestions, complaints, and requests of dozens of members and staff. The work performed thus far was the work of many hands in this regard, and credit must be given where credit is due.
Therefore, I thank the membership and staff for their hard work. Though I carried it out, many if not most of the ideas came directly or indirectly from others, and I merely put them into effect.
I thank you all for your contributions and continued support of the World Affairs Board. While some donated financially in the fundraiser, what is truly important are your contributions to the site and referral of friends to the community. Without the membership, the World Affairs Board is just another site. The vast majority of forums fail. Ours definitely has not.
That being said, there is additional work to be done:
- integrating WAB more completely with web 2.0 mobile web platforms (Android, iPhone, tablets, Blackberry, Windows Phone)
- a professional site redesign, integrating the best elements of the old design with fully modern features
- simple, yet elegant square graphics illustrating the subject matter of the specific forums, replacing:
- a non-animated flag display so members can indicate their national identities
- membership giveaways and promotions
- instituting an award system for outstanding contributions to the site in terms of generating high-quality discussion
- recruiting more quality contributors to the site, especially from Europe, the former Soviet Union, Canada, Africa, Turkey, the Middle East, East Asia, South America and Australia/NZ. I am currently satisfied with the levels of participation from North America, South Asia, and the UK
- a banner that clearly states WAB's nature and purpose
- completing the library/bookstore, and establishing a database of professional resources, information, member reviews of books and other items relevant to the subject matter of WAB
I will open another thread, sooner or later, where all the membership can post additional feedback and requests.
Again, thank you, and kindest regards,
Last edited by Ironduke; 17 Jan 11, at 18:52.
Outstanding work, long may WAB prosper.
Well Done Matt.
Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?
Excellent work, long live WAB
For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!
How much of that is spammers and bots and stuff like that?
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.
Even though I've been hesitant to all of this, I feel now I can say, good job Matt !!! Well done.
Excellent work Matt,
The WAB is growing more feature rich, better in content, and more interesting all the time. This growth has been particularly dramatic this month.
"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
Great job Ironduke.
Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)