Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: WAB IRC Channel

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    11 Feb 06
    Posts
    85

    WAB IRC Channel

    Hey, I was wondering if WAB would consider getting an IRC Channel? It would allow members of WAB to all chat with eachother on an Instant Relay Chat room.

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    14,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
    Hey, I was wondering if WAB would consider getting an IRC Channel? It would allow members of WAB to all chat with eachother on an Instant Relay Chat room.
    I believe that was brought up before, but it was declined so we could concentrate on "just" being a message board
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

  3. #3
    OAF-Old Aggravating Fart Senior Contributor Shamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Apr 07
    Location
    Sebastian,Florida
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    I believe that was brought up before, but it was declined so we could concentrate on "just" being a message board
    You mean we would have to talk to each other in real-time chat as opposed to flinging a literary poop grenade and then ducking?Come on...
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    11 Feb 06
    Posts
    85
    Well I didn't know if it was brought up before because I did a search but didn't find a topic concerning it, so my bad anway. I just thought it would be a nice idea especially seeing how many other communities use it and it ends up being pretty successful, doesn't really change the forum much except bring people closer to eachother as friends. However, it's all up to you guys. ^_^

  5. #5
    OAF-Old Aggravating Fart Senior Contributor Shamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Apr 07
    Location
    Sebastian,Florida
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
    Well I didn't know if it was brought up before because I did a search but didn't find a topic concerning it, so my bad anway. I just thought it would be a nice idea especially seeing how many other communities use it and it ends up being pretty successful, doesn't really change the forum much except bring people closer to eachother as friends. However, it's all up to you guys. ^_^
    Dude,I was just messing with you .Personally I wouldn't have any objections,it might be fun,but TH says the members didn't really find it appealing.
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

  6. #6
    Ray
    Ray is offline
    Military Professional Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Aug 03
    Posts
    19,624
    Members were asked?


    "Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

    I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

    HAKUNA MATATA

  7. #7
    Military Professional
    Join Date
    15 Sep 06
    Posts
    6,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Shameless View Post
    Dude,I was just messing with you .Personally I wouldn't have any objections,it might be fun,but TH says the members didn't really find it appealing.
    Bearing in mind not all WAB members are native English speakers. Those who do well at a keyboard may not be so confident or fluent in real-time vocal communication (if that is indeed what has been suggested). I feel it could put them at a disadvantage.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

  8. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    11 Feb 06
    Posts
    85
    Gyln, your point is well taken. However, it's not like we'd demand complete fluent English on the IRC should we decide to have one. I'm sure we'd take into consideration your point, but we should also note that the advantages outnumber the disadvantages. I'm sure the members would like to chat in real time and it sure brings people closer on the forum when they understand eachother more. The IRC would mainly be based on the happenings of what is currently going on in WAB and anything appropriate the members wish to diccuss. Forum activity could also benefit, the IRC channel can be seen as an extention rather than something seperate to WAB.

  9. #9
    Ray
    Ray is offline
    Military Professional Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Aug 03
    Posts
    19,624
    I feel it will be a great help to the non English speaking members if they can converse real time. Errors in syntax and expression can be picked up when it is realtime.

    For instance, in India, to learn correct pronunciation, students are asked to hear the BBC radio and it does help!

    Likewise, I am sure the non English speaking members will get to learn sentence construction etc by seeing the sentences being written.

    One would also be able to differentiate Americanism from English. I have personally benefited from the posts on this issue.

    As far as native English speaking syntax is concerned, one should visit ARRSE. There are many words, thoughts, sentences that defy imagination and understanding. One would love to ask the meanings, but if it were an online discussion one would not be hesitant. But as a post, one is always a bit hesitant!

    Just a thought of a non native English knowing person, whose first language is English as understood in India.


    "Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

    I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

    HAKUNA MATATA

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    11 Feb 06
    Posts
    85
    I've been apart of many IRC channels and I can tell you it's very helpful for learning. Especially, this community is very intellectual and are willing to help people. Our channel will be made up of mostly highly knowledgable and kind people anyway. Besides it's not like your going to get kicked off for not spelling a word correctly or leave out some punctuation. I'd say our current members know enough to communicate and understand eachother in real time chat even if they do make a few mistakes.

    Edit, I've added a picture of how the IRC room will look:

    Last edited by Grim Reaper; 13 Jul 07, at 21:48.

  11. #11
    Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Jan 06
    Location
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Posts
    22,591
    IRC? Isn't that old school?

    By the way, I demand all to speak Americanese in the IRC channel. Preferably 1337 5p34k with a California accent.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

  12. #12
    OAF-Old Aggravating Fart Senior Contributor Shamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Apr 07
    Location
    Sebastian,Florida
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    IRC? Isn't that old school?

    By the way, I demand all to speak Americanese in the IRC channel. Preferably 1337 5p34k with a California accent.
    Ah don't speak Californese...strange dialect
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

  13. #13
    Ray
    Ray is offline
    Military Professional Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Aug 03
    Posts
    19,624
    What is the accent of Donald Duck?

    Is he from Hollywood?


    "Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

    I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

    HAKUNA MATATA

  14. #14
    Pocket Ashley's Mom Military Professional Southie's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Apr 07
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    3,310
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    IRC? Isn't that old school?

    By the way, I demand all to speak Americanese in the IRC channel. Preferably 1337 5p34k with a California accent.
    The only California accent I recall back in the 80's was "Valley Girl"! Like...for sure...
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

  15. #15
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    14,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Shameless View Post
    but TH says the members didn't really find it appealing.
    Actually what I could have stated more clearly is that the Admins at the time decided not to pursue it.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Improved Quality of WAB
    By Ray in forum WAB Information Center
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12 Apr 07,, 01:47
  2. WAB Announcement: New Admin and vBulletin Upgrade!
    By Chris in forum WAB Information Center
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 26 Sep 06,, 18:02
  3. Atention: All Indians
    By Ray in forum WAB Information Center
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 13 May 06,, 19:42

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •