Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: New boards

  1. #1
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Shek's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Feb 05
    Location
    Krblachistan
    Posts
    11,589

    New boards

    Wow. This is quite the redesign of the boards with an addition of multiple new subforums. Any chance of adding a book review forum?
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

  2. #2
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia
    Posts
    10,132
    Quote Originally Posted by shek
    Wow. This is quite the redesign of the boards with an addition of multiple new subforums. Any chance of adding a book review forum?
    I created some subforums that are highly relevant sub-categories to the categories already present. I'd leave the decision to create entirely new sections to those higher up.

  3. #3
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Shek's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Feb 05
    Location
    Krblachistan
    Posts
    11,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke
    I created some subforums that are highly relevant sub-categories to the categories already present. I'd leave the decision to create entirely new sections to those higher up.
    Thanks for the explanation.

    The reason I think a new forum would be good is that there are a lot of books that posters will recommend; however, if you put it up in the relevant thread, it gets buried by subsequent posts very quickly. Thus, I won't spend the time to do up a detailed review if the post's lifespan up on the "radar screen" will be a few days or a week or two at best.

    A separate forum would 1) keep the review fresher for much longer and 2) consolidate the reviews so you wouldn't have to search all the forums.

    My 2 cents.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

  4. #4
    Ray
    Ray is offline
    Military Professional Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Aug 03
    Posts
    19,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke
    I created some subforums that are highly relevant sub-categories to the categories already present. I'd leave the decision to create entirely new sections to those higher up.
    A capital idea.

    Now things are organised, almost like a library.

    It will save a lot of time and also allow the cold chaps not visiting hot areas and then distributing butter cookies.

    But the Cheetos will be available everywhere.


    "Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

    I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

    HAKUNA MATATA

  5. #5
    Military Professional 667medic's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Jul 05
    Posts
    930
    A humble request to the MODS.
    Pease Please Please return the SouthAsian forum to the Asian sub-folder.....
    Seek Save Serve Medic

  6. #6
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia
    Posts
    10,132
    Quote Originally Posted by 667medic
    A humble request to the MODS.
    Pease Please Please return the SouthAsian forum to the Asian sub-folder.....
    The South Asian section has been made "seperate" from World Affairs Board so we can add more specialty sections to better cater to the future needs of our membership. Left where it was, the South Asian section was buried content.

    The way it is now, it acts as a seperate forum on the same vBulletin with shared membership, moderation, etc.

    The pain of change is better than the pain of regret.

  7. #7
    Senior Contributor Amled's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 Sep 04
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,403
    Quote Originally Posted by shek
    Thanks for the explanation.

    The reason I think a new forum would be good is that there are a lot of books that posters will recommend; however, if you put it up in the relevant thread, it gets buried by subsequent posts very quickly. Thus, I won't spend the time to do up a detailed review if the post's lifespan up on the "radar screen" will be a few days or a week or two at best.

    A separate forum would 1) keep the review fresher for much longer and 2) consolidate the reviews so you wouldn't have to search all the forums.

    My 2 cents.
    Any News???
    If not light a little fire under the "higher ups'" will'ya!
    As the idea is definitly good.
    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

  8. #8
    Real Madrid CF Senior Contributor indianguy4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Mar 05
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    1,362
    Atleast change the Name of Indian Defence Topics to Indian Discussion or something. As of today there is nothing defence related on that sub-forum.
    Hala Madrid!!

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    14,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Amled
    Any News???
    If not light a little fire under the "higher ups'" will'ya!
    As the idea is definitly good.
    Probably not going to happen, though hopefully I'll be proven wrong
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

  10. #10
    Senior Contributor Asim Aquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jun 04
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    2,034
    Sports forum?

  11. #11
    Officer of Engineers
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter
    Probably not going to happen, though hopefully I'll be proven wrong
    Couldn't figure out how yet but could someone help me put it in the Colonel's Corner?

  12. #12
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    14,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers
    Couldn't figure out how yet but could someone help me put it in the Colonel's Corner?
    Higher ranking officer?
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

  13. #13
    Banned Vaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 03
    Posts
    165
    Could we have just one subforum for issues related to India, please?
    An India related social/economic/domestic politics issues merged into one would be nice for people who would not like to see their posts disappear in the general muck of the "south asian" board and dont like trade tats4****.
    I believe the quality of discussion would improve vastly if there was a place for discussion of these issues without having to deal with a steady stream of trolls attempting to get in the K-thing into everything.\
    Let the south asian subforum remain for those who wish to indulge in it.

    I have no idea how the mods decided to box in India and Pak (when they have nothing in common) in the same subforum and not expect things to get bad..

    I suggest a seperate subforum even if on an experimental basis. Its worked on some of the other boards and it might work well here as well.
    Last edited by Vaman; 30 Apr 06, at 21:58.

  14. #14
    Global Moderator
    Devil's Advocate
    ArmchairGeneral's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 May 06
    Location
    Boston, MA.
    Posts
    4,668
    Why is the book review thing probably not going to happen? Technical difficulties? Too much work? Lazy higher ups? Dang it, it sounds fun!
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

  15. #15
    Officer of Engineers
    Guest
    Write a review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. what happened to the boards?
    By Canmoore in forum WAB Information Center
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26 Apr 07,, 09:48
  2. Preaching Terrorism Openly
    By Ray in forum Operation Enduring Freedom and Af-Pak
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03 May 05,, 06:16
  3. US Social Security RFC
    By Metech00 in forum International Economy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21 Apr 05,, 01:03
  4. What these boards definately lack:
    By s_qwert63 in forum Multimedia & Jukebox room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25 Jul 04,, 23:59

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •