• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terror Attack in IISC Bangalore

http://in.rediff.com/news/2005/dec/28bang.htm

Terror attack on IISc, Bangalore; 1 killed, 6 injured

A Correspondent in Bangalore | December 28, 2005 21:15 IST
    Last Updated: December 28, 2005 22:39 IST

One person was killed and six injured after unidentified gunmen opened indiscriminate fire in the campus of Bangalore's Indian Institute of Science late Wednesday evening. The injured included a senior scientist of Indian Institute of Science.

The deceased was Professor M C Puri of Delhi's Indian Institute of Technology.

Among the injured are Dr Vijay Chandru, Dr Pankaj Gupta, Dr Patel and Dr Sangeetha. They were rushed to the M S Ramaiah Hospital. Their condition is stated to be serious.

The victims were walking from a guest house towards the Tata auditorium, where an international conference was going on, when four to five people got off an ambassador car and started firing at random. The attackers allegedly used AK47s. An unexploded bomb was also reportedly found in the vicinity.

Police have arrived on the spot and are combing the area. Bangalore Police Commissioner Ajay Kumar Singh said, "We can't say anything at this stage."

He said it appeared that an automatic weapon was used in the shooting. "There is no information on how they came and who they were."

A state-wide alert has been declared.
    Who is responsible? Any guesses?

The attackers allegedly used AK47s
    AK47 arent used by petty criminals.

This is serious intel failure. How can terrorists can safely enter & complete their mission in such a heartland of the country?
    Hala Madrid!!

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4564892.stm

BBC News
      Wednesday, 28 December 2005, 17:01 GMT

Professor dies in Indian gun raid
      A professor has been killed by a gunman who opened fire on a science conference in the southern Indian city of Bangalore, police say.
      Three other people were also wounded as the gunman sprayed automatic gunfire at the Indian Institute of Science before escaping in a car.

Professor MC Puri, from the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, died on the way to hospital.

Police have set up checkpoints across the city.

Emergency meeting

Those wounded were said to be scientists and laboratory technicians attending the conference.

The Indian Institute of Science is a leading postgraduate college in India's technology hub of Bangalore.

The attack took place at about 1930 local time (1400GMT).

Police said the assailants approached in an Ambassador car. One of them got out and fired randomly outside an auditorium door. The car then sped off.

One of those injured, Prof Vijay Chandru, is the founder of the Indian-developed palm-computer, the Simputer. It is not clear how serious his injuries are.

State Chief Minister Dharam Singh has called an emergency meeting for Thursday.

"We cannot say at this stage whether terrorists are involved in this incident," an official at his office said. {My comment: What you really mean is that we cannot say yet is whether Pakistani terrorists are involved. Anybody who guns down unarmed people at a scientific conference is a terrorist. It is a sign of the times in India when a terrorist naturally implies a Pakistani angle.}

The incident happened hours after gangster Abu Salem was brought to Bangalore for lie detector tests over his alleged involvement in bombings in Mumbai (Bombay) in 1993 that killed 250 people.

Abu Salem was arrested in Portugal in 2002 and extradited to India in November.

Police said there was no suggestion yet of any connection but they were investigating any possible link.

Comment

Originally posted by indianguy4u
        This is serious intel failure. How can terrorists can safely enter & complete their mission in such a heartland of the country?
        Why do you guys jump and shout.."intel failure" every time a terror attack takes place? Do you know how simple it is to smuggle a weapon - dismantled?...

How do you expect the int agencies to know what these idiots will do?...They will attack any unarmed target..? Because these Pakistani jihadis have lost the nerve to fight soldiers so they are now killing unarmed scientists and our foreign guests.

Besides its the ISI/Pakistani way of making Bangalore a "no-go" zone for foreigners collaborating with Indian scientists. That city is a symbol of Indian IT success. Disgusting
        Last edited by lemontree; 29 Dec 05,, 09:04.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

ig4u,

The INTEL people have prevented hundreds of such attacks in the past.
          We will never come to know about them.

Most,if not none, of their success never gets advertised....but one failure is given a hell lot of publicity.

Comment

Well ak47 is not even a banana too, to hide it so much inside the country. If this incidence had happened in north or even in mumbai, it was less diff job for terrorists to do, but bangalore is too much away from such geographical locations & hence it was a major failure of agencies, i believe. And yes, their motive is what sir LT had said, to derail our economic & social life.
            Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Let's wait and see who did it.

Too early to predict.

Sanjay Dutt also had AK 47s given to him by Abu Salem!

His mother, Nargis, acted in Mother India as 'Mother India'!

So, patience is required to know what is what and who is who!
              Last edited by Ray; 29 Dec 05,, 07:30.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

How easy is it to get a firearm in India?
                "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by sparten

Very difficult to get get an AK series weapon legally - the only non uniformed guys with AKs are the terrorists/insurgent groups and some decoit gangs (central India)who managed to snatch some rifles off dead policemen.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

During the summer, whenever I went to the local courts, I would go to the ATC (Anti Terrorism Court). which was right next door. What shocked me the most was that almost all the firearms used were legal, one guy had an M16, and his lawyer was flashing his licence in court. The only "illegals" I ever saw was an M4 (probably from Afghanistan) and some Russian MG which I did not recognize.
                    "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

sparten,
                      Does'nt it scare you going to court amonsgt crazies with weapons...you never know who will blow his top at some judge's verdict and fire away in anger.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Congratulations to Pakistan!

Another red-letter day in Pakistani history. They mananged to attack an educational institution and kill and old retired professor. Lashker-e-taiba Zindabad! must be the wonderful chants from Peshawar to Karachi. I wonder how killing the old professor and attacking an educational institution will help jihad, but I have no doubt our friends Platinum786 (A known terrorist lover who backs terror attacks on armed forces) or Sparten will explain to us how this furthers the "holy" cause. I have never felt as angry in my life as I did yesterday, when the town I called home for 5yrs suffered the worst terror attck it had ever faced. Neither Bangalore nor IISc have anything to do with the tension in Kashmir, however they are "valid targets". Aren't I right Plat786 and Sparten? Sparten, Why don't you spin it for us like a lawyer as to why pakistan backed LeT committed this operation?

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1585110,0008.htm

Police suspect ISI hand behind Bangalore attack

Press Trust of India

Bangalore, December 29, 2005

The investigating teams suspect involvement of Pakistan's ISI trained terrorists in Wednesday's attack on IISc, a police source said.

"The inputs indicate the involvement of ISI trained terrorists," the highly placed source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said.

The police suspect it was a four-member gang, which had executed their plan of attack, leaving a retired professor of IIT Delhi dead and four others wounded.

Contrary to the belief of the city police the attackers did not use any vehicle, the source maintained the gang used a car and managed to flee using it.

The source said the investigating teams did not also rule out the role of underworld don Abu Salem's associates in the attack. Abu Salem, a key accused in the Mumbai serial blasts, has been brought in Bangalore to undergo polygraph and brain mapping tests.

City Police Commissioner Ajay Kumar Singh has ruled out the possibility of the terrorists using any vehicle.

No terrorist outfit has claimed responsibility for the attack. Chief Minister N Dharam Singh has said police have obtained certain "clues" and hoped to zero in on the culprits soon.

http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=60615

LeT hand not ruled out

Press Trust of India
                        Posted online: Thursday, December 29, 2005 at 1148 hours IST
                        Updated: Thursday, December 29, 2005 at 1430 hours IST

Bangalore, December 29: Police did not rule out the involvement of Pakistan-based Lashkar-E-Taiba (LeT) in the terror attack at the Indian Institute of Science (iisc) campus, as two more hand grenades were recovered from the premises.

Speaking to reporters at the J N Tata auditorium complex, the scene of terrorist attack, which left dead a retired professor of Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, and wounded four others, police commissioner Ajay Kumar Singh did not rule out the hand of the Pak-based terrorist outfit, which reportedly had the IISc on its hit list.

He also did not rule out involvement of more than one person in the attack on delegates, who were emerging out of an international conference.

Police sources said two more hand grenades were recovered during the combing operation, in addition to the one live grenade packed in a cotton pouch found on Wednesday soon after the attack.
                        "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by sparten

Just ask your in-town ISI chief or LeT activist, I am sure you will get an expert answer.
                          "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Offered without comment or insinuation:

This article, written by Pervez Hoodbhoy, a Pakistani physics professor and commentator on political issues, first appeared in a Feb 2002 issue of The News, a Pakistani daily. The Mazari he refers to is Ms. Shireen Mazari, the Director General of the Pakistani think-tank Institute of Strategic Studies.

http://www.inesap.org/bulletin19/bul19art11.htm

Astonishingly, Mazari, a star of Pakistan's strategic community offered publicly the well-considered advice that Pakistan-based mujahideen must attack targets not just in Occupied Kashmir but also deep inside India.

This statement was repeated in a BBC Radio program in early February this year, in a debate between Mazari and myself.
                            When the Indian Parliament was attacked on December 13, she took no credit. The heinous attack was, she said, obviously a cunning plan by the Indians to smear Pakistan.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemontree
                              sparten,
                              Does'nt it scare you going to court amonsgt crazies with weapons...you never know who will blow his top at some judge's verdict and fire away in anger.
                              Well sir in a word no, since the accused are secured in the dock, while the weapons (minus ammo) are kept well away from them.

Meeting crazies (though I have never done, nor plan to take on a terrorist case) such as murderers, rapist and the rest in the lawyers meeting room (with no police, they are outside and the door is locked) can be......well wierd.

But this might interest you, last year during a trial, a hand granade was part of the evidence in the ATC Court here, and it was passed to the judge for examination, the idiot pulled the pin, and well.......BOOM! Lost both his hands. Lucky to be alive IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X