Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NORAD tracking Santa

http://www.noradsanta.org/en/default.php

This is the 50th Anniversary that NORAD and its predecessor, the Continental Air Defense Command (CONAD) have tracked Santa. The tradition began after a Colorado Springs-based Sears Roebuck & Co. store advertisement for children to call Santa on a special "hotline" included an inadvertently misprinted telephone number. Instead of Santa, the phone number put kids through to the CONAD Commander-in-Chief's operations "hotline." The Director of Operations, Colonel Harry Shoup, received the first "Santa" call on Christmas Eve 1955. Realizing what had happened, Colonel Shoup had his staff check radar data to see if there was any indication of Santa making his way south from the North Pole. Indeed there were signs of Santa and children who called were given an update on Santa's position. Thus, the tradition was born. In 1958, the governments of Canada and the United States decided to create a bi-national air defense command for the North American continent called the North American Air Defense Command. Canada and the U.S. believed they could better defend North America together as a team instead of separately.

The Command carried out its first Santa tracking in 1958 after inheriting the tradition from CONAD. Since that time, Canadian and American men and women who work at NORAD have responded to phone calls from children personally. Additionally, media from all over the world call NORAD on Christmas Eve for updates on Santa's location. Last year this Website was visited by millions of people who wanted to know Santa's whereabouts. This year, the information is provided in six languages.

NORAD relies on many volunteers to help make Santa tracking possible. Many people at Cheyenne Mountain and Peterson Air Force Base spend part of their Christmas Eve with their families and friends at NORAD's Santa Tracking Operations Center in order to answer phones and provide Santa updates to the many thousands of children who call in.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

This is ridiculous. Why have they been tolerating this man's clear violation of US and Canadian airspace regularly for the past FIFTY YEARS?

Is his sleigh and it's locomotion (DEER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!) approved as airworthy by the FAA? Does he have a pilot's license? Is he even a US or Canadian-flagged cargo carrier? No, no, no!

Simple solution here people. Scramble a pair of interceptors and wax this intruder ONCE AND FOR ALL!
    Attached Files
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Ever since we had internet @ my moms we would track Santa on XMas Eve. I have been showing Mackenzie this just now, if I had a globe I could show her where on the globe he was. My aunt is giving her a talking globe for XMas tonight so I think she'll think it is much cooler when she can see it in relation to the rest of the earth.
      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
        This is ridiculous. Why have they been tolerating this man's clear violation of US and Canadian airspace regularly for the past FIFTY YEARS?

Is his sleigh and it's locomotion (DEER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!) approved as airworthy by the FAA? Does he have a pilot's license? Is he even a US or Canadian-flagged cargo carrier? No, no, no!

Simple solution here people. Scramble a pair of interceptors and wax this intruder ONCE AND FOR ALL!
        TopHat also thinks that Santa should be arrested for breaking and entering on XMas Eve and for being in violation of local leash laws for not having Rudolph on a leash. I would not be surprised if he also wanted to get him on child labor (elves) and tax evasion (I am guessing he does not take taxes out of the elves wages).

I took a picture of TopHatter last time he was up here - LOOK FAMILIAR?!?!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by THL; 24 Dec 05,, 15:41.
        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

All right, YOU get my 4 year old to goto sleep. Santa is a blessing. We've been using Santa as a threat for the past month.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
            All right, YOU get my 4 year old to goto sleep. Santa is a blessing. We've been using Santa as a threat for the past month.

Mine is 7. I think this is the last year we will be able to use Santa.

If not for "The Polar Express" it wouldn't have worked this year. This was the "Cover the bases, just in case" year. Sees the problems but doesn't want to dismiss right away. I mean there are TOYS involved.

Comment

I'm trying to imagine what your house is going to look like when Number One Daughter finds out that Santa is a retired Lt Colonel..... ;)

This is probably a close depiction...
              Attached Files
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                TopHat also thinks that Santa should be arrested for being in violation of local leash laws for not having Rudolph on a leash.
                Tosh! Rudolph is nothing more than an invention of Montgomery Wards.

Comment

Tosh! Rudolph is nothing more than an invention of Montgomery Wards.
                  You have problems

Comment

You have problems
                    I wish I have his problems right now.

Upstairs, the kids are screaming bloody murder. The wives are at each other, comparing this year's jewlery purchases. The men are getting a bit too drunk. My Colonel wisely disappeared on a Chinese food run. My RSM and me are restricted to two drinks (being carefully monitored by both our wives). My sister-in-law is flirting dangerously.

And I'm hiding in the basement reading WAB.

Comment

You have problems
                      Of course I have problems.
                      And so what if Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is nothing more than an invention of a department store? That's pretty much Christmas in a nutshell: $ALES$!

Upstairs, the kids are screaming bloody murder. The wives are at each other, comparing this year's jewlery purchases. The men are getting a bit too drunk. My Colonel wisely disappeared on a Chinese food run. My RSM and me are restricted to two drinks (being carefully monitored by both our wives). My sister-in-law is flirting dangerously.

In other words, my picture is pretty much right on the money?

Comment

I wish I have his problems right now.

I may have you beat, I am at least breaking even...

I am at my parents house with my aunt - my father's sister (yes, my moms ex husband's sister) and her husband, my ex-husband, his uncle (who I have never gotten along with), his aunt, his cousin, his grandmother and his sister as well as my own sister....

My ex-in laws had threatened to not come earlier because I got into it pretty bad with my ex last night, so there was a small amount of tension at the beginning of the night.

My uncle dressed up like Santa and came in and asked my daughter to sing a XMas song with him....she chose the Itsy Bitsy Spider. That's My Girl! ;)

Comment

I wish I had a basement Christmas Eve so I could be here. :)

5 grandchildren over (ages 1 to 11) 1 nephew 2 sister in-laws, 2 stepdaughters, and my son and daughter. We do Christmas exchanges on Christmas Eve. Paper was flying everywhere and could not see any of my floors Christmas morning. I'm glad it's over.

Comment

Working...
                          X