Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How has WAB influenced your opinion of Americans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How has WAB influenced your opinion of Americans?

I've always wondered how WAB and other message boards influence opinions about other nations. While WAB tends not to be ultra-competitive outside of the occasional troll that butts in, I've seen some very heated, flag waving discussions on other boards that leave both parties/nationalities bitter.

So, for all non-Americans, how has WAB and/or other message boards influenced your opinions about the United States? Additionally, have you had any actual in-person experiences that confirm or counter what you've experienced on WAB?
    You now think more highly of the US/Americans.
    24.81%
    You now think less highly of the US/Americans.
    18.05%
    Your opinion hasn't changed.
    57.14%
    Last edited by Shek; 15 Dec 05,, 05:51.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

There are too many republican over here @ WAB to come to any conclusion. Lets hear some democrats voices .
    Hala Madrid!!

Comment

I have a friend who thinks every 9/11 conspiracy movie is 400% correct.
      Thanks to WAB, I was able to correct him.

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra
        I have a friend who thinks every 9/11 conspiracy movie is 400% correct.
        Thanks to WAB, I was able to correct him.

Same here.

Comment

I will be quite frank since I think I am speaking in company of friends.

Unlike the popular international opinion that American are self opiniated and feel that their country is the only country in the world and the remainder are to be tolerated since they are God's creation after all, the WAB showed me that there are many Americans who are knowledgeable, intelligent and are fully aware of the international repercussions that policies are having upon the world community. WAB also showed that the Americans are sensitive to others' feelings and basically as individuals the Americans are really wonderful chaps.

WAB also allowed me an insight into the American common man's (though mostly Republican) insight and views of American domestic problems and politics.

I am yet to meet anyone in India who is not outraged by 9/11 or any other terrorist attacks. However, the vast majority are not convinced with Iraq. though understand the compulsions of Afghanistan and whole heartedly support that.

There are, of course, the archetypical Americans too! ;)

Further more, the WAB opened up my vista of the common man's opinion of quite a few countries from where the posters are from, mostly Europe and a few from Down under including NZ. It is indeed a very rich experience for me. I do wish there were posters from Africa and Latin America.

My interaction with the Pakistanis, at times bellicose, has nevertheless made me understand them better and also created an empathy that I think was another wonderful experience.
          Last edited by Ray; 15 Dec 05,, 07:41.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I saw the thread title and got panicky thinking,"Please, don't let Gio be the benchmark! Don't let Gio be the benchmark!"
            The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

I had american friends even before I joined this forum. Most of them are New yorkers and remarkably well educated and democrats. But I haven't found the republicans on this forum too offensive either apart from the occasional head in the sand approach. Overall it has been great. You have the same proportion of good guys and a$$holes as any other country does.
              "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Offcourse my opinion about Americans has changed a bit. But I can't say if positiv or negativ. It just has changed because of interacting with each other and knowing the mentality better. And I have to determine that the American mentality is a bit different from the German's. What's positiv in a few ways though.
                Last edited by JG73; 15 Dec 05,, 17:43.
                >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Originally posted by JG73
                  I'm rather more surprised by the Indians on this board. I hadn't thought that your mentality is that similar to the western culture. Possibly that depends on the time of british colonistation and that you guys who are posting here surely are not the poorest Indian hillbillies like we always see it in hollywood films.
                  Glad to oblige, but it has more to do with education and reassertion of the Hindu culture after prolonged islamic rule. Hindu culture is inherently forward thinking and liberal. However, one shouldn't read the atrocities which happen in certain villages and conclude that to be Hindu / Indian culture.
                  Secondly, the attitude has very little to do with wealth, even your average city residing office-going average joe Indian will largely display the same attitude as you see on this board. Hell, I am sure some of us are average office going guys like myself. ;)
                  "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Alrighty then....As an American Democrat my own opinions of American Republicans has been changed both good and bad if that is possible.

Good: I have found over the last few months on this predominantly pachyderm board that my opinions on a lot tend to coincide with Republicans more than I previously thought (not enough to jump aboard the elephant, though). :)

Bad: On the things that I do not agree with them on - we REALLY do not agree. Unfortunately, this has occassionally extended to the point that there is not even the ability to be cordial about specific issues.
                    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

I love it when you talk about me miss. :)

LOL...

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                        I love it when you talk about me miss. :)

LOL...
                        Why, Sniper...I would never!
                        ;)
                        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                          Good: I have found over the last few months on this predominantly pachyderm board that my opinions on a lot tend to coincide with Republicans more than I previously thought (not enough to jump aboard the elephant, though). :)
                          Ma'am, you are so already on-board. ;)

-dale

Comment

I've always had a good opinion (with one noteable exception) of Americans I've met in NZ and there's a mate of mine who was here for about twenty years before going back to the States who I catch up with whenever I can.
                            Same whenever I visit the States, I always have a good time and the friendliness that everyone shows me is great.
                            My opinion of America as a global player has definitely improved because I understand the motivations behind it much better. We used to get invited to the odd dinner party where whenever American foreign policy got brought up everyone would sit around and go "oh yes America, awful, just awful blah blah" Nowdays I as often as not argue the case for America and the debates get pretty heated. My debating style has got a lot more aggressive as well
                            Interestingly enough we get invited to a lot more dinner parties, I even got described as an 'intelligent bit of rough' by one of the lady socialites at the last one
                            As another aside, the first time I was in the States I was chilling out in LA for a couple of days to get over the jet lag before going on to Guatemala. I wanted some sunscreen and went into a 'Bodyshop' in I think Santa Monica. I couldn't find any so I asked the assistant behind the counter, a very attractive black girl. After I asked, she just stared at me. So I asked again and again she just looked at me. I was just about to ask again when she said "you've got the most beautiful accent I've ever heard". Been in love with the place ever since. :)
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                              Alrighty then....As an American Democrat my own opinions of American Republicans has been changed both good and bad if that is possible.

Bad: On the things that I do not agree with them on - we REALLY do not agree. Unfortunately, this has occassionally extended to the point that there is not even the ability to be cordial about specific issues.
                              Ditto for me as well. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X