Thread: Indian defence minister to visit Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan

Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar

Indian defence minister to visit Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan

Indian defence minister to visit Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan

NEW DELHI (AFP) Nov 04, 2003

Indian Defence Minister George Fernandes will visit the Central Asian Republics of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan this week, a defence ministry statement said Tuesday.
    Fernandes is being accompanied by senior defence ministry officials on his four-day visit, which begins Wednesday, the statement said.

"The minister is likely to discuss matters of mutual interest including defence cooperation and global terrorism.

"The visit assumes significance in view of India's growing interest in Central Asia," it said.

After talks with officials in Kazakhstan, Fernandes will cross into Kyrgyzstan by road, the statement said, adding that the minister would return to India on November 8.

http://www.spacewar.com/2003/031104125430.l57exnzn.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Banned
    What interest does India have in Central Asia?

Tamizhanban Senior Contributor Jay's Avatar
    Oil and Natural gas and ofcourse just to piss of Pakistan :w00t

Indian oil companies (ONGC) are already operating/in the process of operating oil wells in Central Asia, South East Asia and Africa.
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Oil.

Banned
    We should line up our crooked government against the wall and shoot the shit out of them. So they stop selling oilfields to foreign companies. The Americans already own about 60% of our oil fields, and no money is reaching the people. We should bring back communism.

http://www.frontlineonnet.com/fl1919/19190600.htm

India's interest in Central Asia explained.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Banned
    Fear of growing Indian links with Kabul and the CAR led Pakistan President General Pervez Musharraf to warn New Delhi to "lay off" the region in a televised address to the nation after the United States-led war on Afghanistan began last October.
    Quite funny actually, no offense intended, Pakistan and India "fighting" over Central Asia...
    What makes the author think that either India or Pakistan have considerable influence in Central Asia? I lived in for 13 years, I have not seen any Indians, and the only Pakistanis I saw were trading goods on the bazars.

Tajikistan has around 47,000 army personnel, and an air force with 19,000 personnel, one of the largest in the region. It flies around 190 fighter aircraft such as MiG 21s, MiG 27s, MiG 29s and Sukhoi 24s, nearly all of which are operated by the Indian Air Force (IAF).
    I was under the impression that the Russian and CIS trrops were operating most of Tadjikistans air force.

Pakistan's membership of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), a key regional Central Asian grouping comprising Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrghyzstan and Tajikistan besides Russia and China, meanwhile, has surprised some members because of its previous involvement with Islamic insurgent groups.
    The SCO is a joke. The Central Asian republics signed it to keep China at bay.

"U.S. control over the oil and energy resources of Central Asia will make it neither cheap nor accessible to others," declared Ajay Patnaik
    Hopefully some descent people will overthrow the government and nationalize the oil economy!

Tamizhanban Senior Contributor Jay's Avatar
    Originally posted by s_qwert63
    Hopefully some descent people will overthrow the government and nationalize the oil economy!
    welcome to the world of capatalism my friend :roll

erst while Soviets just threw out communism, so revisiting it will take a lot of time and life!!
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Every single former Soviet CAR that borders China has ceded territory to it since independence.

Banned
    Originally posted by ironman420
    Every single former Soviet CAR that borders China has ceded territory to it since independence.
    True, in 1969 there were constant firefights between borderguards. And the land that the Chinese claimed was never given to them.
    Now the Chinese just said "give the land to us, or else" and our pussy ass president bent over backwards and kissed their ass.

Thread Information