War of 1812 recognized in US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War of 1812 recognized in US?

i have been told that the war of 1812 and how canada burnt down the white house is no longer taught to the american students, this bothers me because this is only one of a few war they lost. And i know that their victories are taught to their students.

I want this problem of mine to be confirmed as true or false

Are we still teaching the Fenian Invasions?

Comment

I'm canadian i don't know all of what the americans teach only some.
      For example i know that the american curriculum teaches more about themselves than othe countries, i know this because if you go to the states and ask almost any american they don't even know that we have provinces, or how many we have.

However i think they should teach some defeats as well as victories

Comment

Kid,

You're talking to a former Canadian Forces Lieutenant-Colonel. Do a google on Fenian to see what I'm talking about. As for the War of 1812, let's be real here. It was the British who burned down Washington. Canada wasn't even around. Canadian regiments only made up a small portion of the British force defending the Canadas.

Comment

Originally posted by canadian boy
          i have been told that the war of 1812 and how canada burnt down the white house is no longer taught to the american students, this bothers me because this is only one of a few war they lost. And i know that their victories are taught to their students.

I want this problem of mine to be confirmed as true or false
          Relax. As far as I know, the War of 1812 is most certainly taught to American students. This is very likely because it happens to be where some guy wrote a poem that was set to an English drinking song's music and we got our national anthem out of the deal.

I will also note that the War of 1812 resulted in a stalemate, although there was numerous notable American victories and defeats.
          In addition, the United States could be proud of itself for going toe to toe with one of the biggest European powers.

However you want to measure it though, I would not call it war that the United States lost. Certainly not when you consider the strength of her foe.

I will certainly admit that full details of the war are probably not gone over in American schools, but this is hardly surprising.

During my American History class in high school we barely got into World War I thanks to my story-telling teacher
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

For example i know that the american curriculum teaches more about themselves than othe countries
            Unfortunately true.
            i know this because if you go to the states and ask almost any american they don't even know that we have provinces, or how many we have.
            I can assure you that this is not limited to Canada.

However i think they should teach some defeats as well as victories
            I can also assure you that Vietnam is most certainly taught, if you want to consider it an outright defeat.

Here, take a look at this, you'll find it useful
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Damned wascally Bwitish what? Haw Haw!

Last edited by Parihaka; 09 Dec 05,, 04:22.
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                I will also note that the War of 1812 resulted in a stalemate, although there was numerous notable American victories and defeats.
                Just thank God, that Wellington turned down the offer to come over, otherwise you may well have been singing "May God save thy reigning Grace...."
                "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

The war of 1812 is part of the ciriculm of most schools. I wouldn't really consider it a defeat for the americans however as neither side gained nor lost much territory. Over all I'd say that was mainly because of England being to busy with the french but such is life. It's to bad that New Orleans was fought after the treaty or the US would have been able to wring some consessions out of england.

Comment

There was a winner. A big time winner - the Canadas and I don't mean the British Empire. The war defined the Canadians. For the 1st time in history, Canadians were defending Canada, their homes and initially, without alot help from the the British Isles. Canadian Regiments, especially French Canadian Regiments met superior American numbers head on and won more than their share of battles.

The Canadian identity was forged during that war.

Comment

The Brits managed to capture and burn Washington in 1814!!!...
                      I was under the impression that they were kicked out of the US after the War of Independence in 1782(?)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Captain,

The 1st two years of the War of 1812 was a complete embarrassment for the US. A few times, the Americans outnumbered the British-Indian (Native North Americans, not you guys) Force by 5 to 1, and the tide of battle was litterally turned by screaming Indians (yelling their war cries).

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                          Captain,

The 1st two years of the War of 1812 was a complete embarrassment for the US. A few times, the Americans outnumbered the British-Indian (Native North Americans, not you guys) Force by 5 to 1, and the tide of battle was litterally turned by screaming Indians (yelling their war cries).
                          There was something about the British system of leadership that really knows how to use/employ natives. They were good leaders of men.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Sir General Issac Brock in this case. A real leader of men. A real strategic insight. With an inferior force, he pre-empt the American strike and took the Michigan Territories out from under American noses.

One of the few times in history that when a general felled, he was given honours by both sides. The Americans asked permission to fire their canons along with the British salute.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                              One of the few times in history that when a general felled, he was given honours by both sides. The Americans asked permission to fire their canons along with the British salute.
                              Impressive

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X