War of 1812 recognized in US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by omon View Post
    wow, i went to school in former ussr, we weren,t told anything about 1812 uk us war, not a thing, however there was another war in 1812, napoleon's invasion of russia.
    i guess 1812, wasn,t a piecefull year, anywhere in the world
    uhmm it was technically the second true global war of the modern age.

Comment

Canada became an independent nation in 1867 so therefore any actions during the War of 1812 were really British ... and dont forget that there were more then a few British regulars are Queenston Heights, Lundy's Lane, etc

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
        Canada became an independent nation in 1867 so therefore any actions during the War of 1812 were really British ... and dont forget that there were more then a few British regulars are Queenston Heights, Lundy's Lane, etc
        So did the British wage war on herself in North America in 1775? Or did AMERICANS raise up against Britain to create there own country?

Canadians living in Canada fought alongside British to defend there country. Does not matter if the British were in charge or not, The British defended Canada for strategic reasons, while Canadians defended Canada because they lived there. Yes they were British subjects, however they were Canadian British subjects, there for there struggle to defend there homes was as much a Canadian struggle as it was a British one.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
          uhmm it was technically the second true global war of the modern age.
          My old history teacher used to always say WW2 is really WW4, and always said they whole "I know not what weapons WW3 with be fought with, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones" is slightly wrong, it was fought with the M1 and the Spitfire.

Smart guy my old history teacher, even if he did take things a bit 2 seriously.

With regards to this subject in general, it was never covered in my UK education, even when we did Napoleon and Wellington’s campaign in Portugal.

Comment

The idea that Canadians didn't exist during the War of 1812 is insulting for Canadians. Canadians fought in that war to defend their homes from invasion the same way Americans fought in the French and Indian wars to defend their homes.

HOWEVER, the wars was between the United Kingdom and the United States. And Canada, though it had a distinctivenss the same way the US did during the French and Indian wars, was NOT a political unit at the time and therefore did not actually fight us. Why? Because Canada was content being a member of the British Empire. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
            "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."
            - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

My old history teacher used to always say WW2 is really WW4
              World Wars I and II being the Seven Years' and Napoleonic Wars, no doubt.
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Besides Europe and the eastern parts of North America where else was the Seven Years war fought to be considered a world war?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy View Post
                  Besides Europe and the eastern parts of North America where else was the Seven Years war fought to be considered a world war?
                  India, the Caribbean, Africa, the Philippines.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                    World Wars I and II being the Seven Years' and Napoleonic Wars, no doubt.

Actually, the Americvan Revolution coudl be considered the 2d world war since it, too, featured combat around the globe.

While most of the land fighting was in North America and the Carribean, the naval warfare spanned the globe....and there was even a raid by US Marines in India as the last of the land battles in 1783!
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

While most of the land fighting was in North America and the Carribean, the naval warfare spanned the globe....and there was even a raid by US Marines in India as the last of the land battles in 1783!
                      What ship were they on?

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        Actually, the Americvan Revolution coudl be considered the 2d world war since it, too, featured combat around the globe.

Fascinating.Details? Please.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          Are we still teaching the Fenian Invasions?
                          If that's the one where some Irish nuts invaded as far as I remember from 11 years back yes.
                          Originally posted by GVChamp
                          College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Did you remember that the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada was clobbered?

Comment

Originally posted by svs View Post
                              Fascinating.Details? Please.
                              I am going to have to go digging for details. I remembered reading this several times. I will try to get you an answer
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                                Did you remember that the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada was clobbered?
                                No I did not actually. I'll go look it up now.

Edit// I love history discussions.. :)
                                Originally posted by GVChamp
                                College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Working...
                                X