Top Ten Best Fighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Ten Best Fighters

I originally saw this idea in a Navy thread title "Top Ten Best Navys." I thought it would be nice to see one like it for fighters. Please list in order what you guys think are the top ten best fighter jets in service and the ones about to go into service. Here is what I think they are:

1. F/A-22A Raptor
    2. Su-47A Berkut
    3. F-35 JSF
    4. Su-30MKI Super Flanker
    5. EF-2000 Typhoon II
    6. F-15C Eagle
    7. F-14D Tomcat
    8. F/A-18E Super Hornet
    9. Mig-29 Fulcrum
    10. F-16C Fighting Falcon
    Last edited by Insomniac; 05 Dec 05,, 16:41.

Originally posted by Insomniac
    I originally saw this idea in a Navy thread title "Top Ten Best Navys." I thought it would be nice to see one like it for fighters. Please list in order what you guys think are the top ten best fighter jets in service and the ones about to go into service. Here is what I think they are:

1. F/A-22A Raptor
    2. Su-47A Berkut
    3. F-35 JSF
    5. EF-2000 Typhoon II
    6. F-15C Eagle
    7. F-14D Tomcat
    8. F/A-18E Super Hornet
    9. Mig-29 Fulcrum
    The Su-47 is a great fighter to have on that list, but it's not in service and rather unlikely to even go into service

On my list, I would edge the F-14D ahead of the F-15C.

We'd also need to have a stat comparison on the F-35, as well as noting which version we are referring to
    (THREE GREAT OPTIONS!!! COLLECT THEM ALL!!!)
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Afaik Su-47 is a "technology demostrator". No radar. No nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Insomniac

1. F/A-22A Raptor
        2. Su-47A Berkut
        3. F-35 JSF
        5. EF-2000 Typhoon II
        6. F-15C Eagle
        7. F-14D Tomcat
        8. F/A-18E Super Hornet
        9. Mig-29 Fulcrum
        1. just as su47 is a TD .. the same way F35 isnt out yet . neither of them deserve a place in this list till at least development is complete.
        2. a plane is good only when it serves its purposes.
        for instance
        if IAF has a choice for MMRCA ( it wants 200 of these) between a MKI and a EF2000 we know the EF2000 is obvious choice as its cheaper to maintain and we dont need ultra long range fighter for this role. in the same way instead of MKI choosing soemthing like EF2000 or mig29 would have been a wrong choice for
        IAF as the doctrine wanted plane to be a long range high payload plane.
        The role to be played is an imp part of the whos better process. judging mig29 with mki or f16 with F15 is totally unfair as they are designed to serve different roles.

Comment

Originally posted by ajaybhutani
          1. just as su47 is a TD .. the same way F35 isnt out yet . neither of them deserve a place in this list till at least development is complete.
          2. a plane is good only when it serves its purposes.
          for instance
          if IAF has a choice for MMRCA ( it wants 200 of these) between a MKI and a EF2000 we know the EF2000 is obvious choice as its cheaper to maintain and we dont need ultra long range fighter for this role. in the same way instead of MKI choosing soemthing like EF2000 or mig29 would have been a wrong choice for
          IAF as the doctrine wanted plane to be a long range high payload plane.
          The role to be played is an imp part of the whos better process. judging mig29 with mki or f16 with F15 is totally unfair as they are designed to serve different roles.
          The Su-47 won't be entering service with anyone while the F-35 is guarenteed to. The Su-47 is experimental/technology demonstrator. Here's my list:

1) F-22 Raptor
          2) F-35 JSF
          3) Su-37 Terminator
          4) F-15E Strike Eagle
          5) Su-35 Flanker
          6) Su-30MKI Flanker
          7) F-16C/D Block 60 Fighting Falcon
          8) F-14D Tomcat
          9) F/A-18E/F Super Hornet
          10) MiG-29 Fulcrum

Comment

Originally posted by The_Burning_Kid
            The Su-47 won't be entering service with anyone while the F-35 is guarenteed to. The Su-47 is experimental/technology demonstrator. Here's my list:

1) F-22 Raptor
            2) F-35 JSF
            3) Su-37 Terminator
            4) F-15E Strike Eagle
            5) Su-35 Flanker
            6) Su-30MKI Flanker
            7) F-16C/D Block 60 Fighting Falcon
            8) F-14D Tomcat
            9) F/A-18E/F Super Hornet
            10) MiG-29 Fulcrum

I think I'd slip the Typhoon in the #2 slot, and I'm not quite sure where the F-35 would fit just yet, but I'm pretty much in agreement.

Edit: I wouldnt have specified "Strike" Eagle though.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
              The Su-47 is a great fighter to have on that list, but it's not in service and rather unlikely to even go into service

On my list, I would edge the F-14D ahead of the F-15C.

We'd also need to have a stat comparison on the F-35, as well as noting which version we are referring to
              (THREE GREAT OPTIONS!!! COLLECT THEM ALL!!!)
              I'd put the F-14 ahead too.
              "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy
                I think I'd slip the Typhoon in the #2 slot, and I'm not quite sure where the F-35 would fit just yet, but I'm pretty much in agreement.

Edit: I wouldnt have specified "Strike" Eagle though.
                Nah, the F-35 owns the Typhoon. And the Strike Eagle is nice. It's an F-15C but better.

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
                  I'd put the F-14 ahead too.
                  Momentarily dragging us off-topic....don't anybody else follow me, ok?

I was looking at an 80s nostalgia site and looking at advertising for all the great toys that were hocked on TV and print.
                  One of the most common phrases (in print ads at least) was "Collect them all!"
                  For one particular toy line (my favorite: The Transformers!) this would have entailed spending a couple hundred dollars at least.

It's funny how you look at things when you are older.
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

On the fighters currently in service/or close to being so: (I'm just going to pick the best block of each series)
                    Rated purely on air combat, ignoring multirole capability.
                    1. F-22
                    2. EF-2000
                    3. Rafale
                    4. F-15C with AESA
                    5. F-16E/F (block 60)
                    6. F-14D Tomcat
                    7. su-35/su-30mki (not exactly the same, but close enough)
                    8. J-10 before PESA and TVC
                    9. Gripen C/D not including the proposed engine upgrade or usage of the Meteor
                    10. F-18 E/F

Comment

Originally posted by tphuang
                      On the fighters currently in service/or close to being so: (I'm just going to pick the best block of each series)
                      Rated purely on air combat, ignoring multirole capability.
                      1. F-22
                      2. EF-2000
                      3. Rafale
                      4. F-15C with AESA
                      5. F-16E/F (block 60)
                      6. F-14D Tomcat
                      7. su-35/su-30mki (not exactly the same, but close enough)
                      8. J-10 before PESA and TVC
                      9. Gripen C/D not including the proposed engine upgrade or usage of the Meteor
                      10. F-18 E/F
                      u intend to say that superhornet with such low RCS and AESA still doesnt even compete with Gripen well. ??

Comment

Originally posted by The_Burning_Kid
                        The Su-47 won't be entering service with anyone while the F-35 is guarenteed to.
                        F35 is still not in production and so better be kept out. or else there will be stuff like PAK-FA chineese plans creeping into the list making this meaningless discussion more and more meaningless

Comment

The SU-30 MKI should be after the F/A-22.

Comment

F35 is still not in production and so better be kept out. or else there will be stuff like PAK-FA chineese plans creeping into the list making this meaningless discussion more and more meaningless
                            I tend to agree here, best to keep it to planes that are either operational or were at one time operational. Can't compare something that doesn't exist yet to operational fighters.

Comment

The PAK-FA isn't even on the drawing board finished yet. The JSF is guarenteed to come in service and we all know most of its performance (well almost :p )

Comment

Working...
                              X