This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiG-29 vs. F-18

Well I'm not shure if this has thread has been done, But I'd like to see where this goes...

I vote for Mig-29.
    MiG-29
    47.37%
    F-18
    52.63%
    Dont change fact...
    Scincerely, Napoleon

We have these already in the archives.
    Hala Madrid!!

Comment

ok thought so...
      Dont change fact...
      Scincerely, Napoleon

Comment

Migs were the *****es of the Hornets in Desert Storm.

Comment

Originally posted by StrikeEagle
          Migs were the *****es of the Hornets in Desert Storm.
          Yeah, MiG-21s. So far the -29s have shown them up, based on one engagement.

Comment

Beyond any doubt, the MiG-29 beats the F-18 hands down. Even the upgraded MiG-23 I with Pulse Dopplar Radar and Archer missiles can take the Hornet and F-16. Israeli pilots who flew the Flogger found the MiG-23 had better speed and acceleration than their F-16 and the F-18. Luftwaffe pilots found the MiG-23 handling somewhat like their F-4s at times and otherwise like their Tornado jets.

In a nutshell the MiG-29 beats the F-16 and F-18, while the SMT model is said to rival older versions of the F-15

Comment

The Super Hornet outclasses the Mig-29 by a long shot in terms of BVR. With the new APG-79 AESA radar, the pilot can take full advantage of the AMRAAM's capabilities. The Hornet also has an edge in WVR with the Joint Helmet Mounted System and the new AIM-9X.

Comment

It depends on what version we are comparing. During the times of the Soviet Union the latest versions were the Mig-29M and the F/A-18C, in which case the Mig was better. However, today the best versions are the Mig-33, which isn't even in production, and the F/A-18E. Snake, took the words right out of my mouth. The F/A-18E Super Hornet has the advantage at any range thanks to the APG-79 and JHMCS/AIM-9X.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakePlisken
                  The Super Hornet outclasses the Mig-29 by a long shot in terms of BVR. With the new APG-79 AESA radar, the pilot can take full advantage of the AMRAAM's capabilities. The Hornet also has an edge in WVR with the Joint Helmet Mounted System and the new AIM-9X.
                  Okay!! Are we getting started on one of those topics again?

As I read somewhere on this board, BVR combat is only a spoiler to WVR and dogfight combat.

Moreover, in today's world, winning an air fight is more dependent on which side has a better support network such as AEW, support fighter aircraft, ECMs, ECCMs, pilot skills, avionics being some of the factors.

You cannot say, that let us judge 2 fighters on 1 on 1 basis only, other things being equal. You cannot, because it just doesnt happen that way.

So, in the end a Flogger could kick a Raptors' ass, all other things not being equal. ;)
                  Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus

As I read somewhere on this board, BVR combat is only a spoiler to WVR and dogfight combat.

Moreover, in today's world, winning an air fight is more dependent on which side has a better support network such as AEW, support fighter aircraft, ECMs, ECCMs, pilot skills, avionics being some of the factors.

You cannot say, that let us judge 2 fighters on 1 on 1 basis only, other things being equal. You cannot, because it just doesnt happen that way.

So, in the end a Flogger could kick a Raptors' ass, all other things not being equal. ;)
                    Even when everything else is stacked up against the Raptor, I severly doubt a Flogger could win against a Raptor. Alright I'm done with my ranting. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus

I read @ AFM[forum] that raptor is/should be visible to su-30 MK @ about 40-50 Km. Here one has to wish that raport have exhausted all its AAM, so that it cannot retaliate. Its only defence left will be supercruise & the pursuer has to use afterburner & fire the AAM & turn away. Looks theoratically possible, but.......
                      Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by indianguy4u
                        I read @ AFM[forum] that raptor is/should be visible to su-30 MK @ about 40-50 Km.
                        Could you give a link about that? :)
                        By my possensions it should be half of the distance. But thats all only bauble of course. How effectiv 'stealth' really is has to be shown in the future. The balance of stealth aircrafts so far is not soooo impressiv. It has to be shown first how they match against state of the art armies. The Brits for example claim that it's no problem for their rapier systems to detect B-2s.
                        >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

I will try. But its archives are huge. If i get that i will post a link.
                          Hala Madrid!!

Comment

>Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Originally posted by SnakePlisken
                              WVR is now played out. A BVR capable fighter will always engage and kill the bandit with a BVR shot, so even a slower moving jet like the Hornet would prolly play safe and fire from afar. Furthermore the IAF is upgrading most of their older Floggers to the new MiG-23-98-1 standard with the Sapfir-23 radar that would be later replaced by a more sophisticated one (such as the Zhemchug, Kopyo or Moskit), enabling adoption of a whole range of new air-to-air and air-to-surface weaponry like the R - 77 / AA - 12 Adder that would surely outclass the Super Hornet's APG-79 and AIM - 9X.

AA - 12 has a max speed of Mach 4.5 and range of 150 km.

Comment

Working...
                              X