X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two New Zealand men jailed for attacks on mosques

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Two New Zealand men jailed for attacks on mosques

AUCKLAND: Two New Zealand men were jailed on Tuesday for vandalising Auckland mosques following the London bombings earlier this year, acts which the judge described as “outrageous desecration”.

Jason Paul Molloy, 19, of the South Island city of Nelson, and Ross Baumgarten, 18, of Auckland, were each sentenced to a year in jail after being convicted in an Auckland court on charges of intentional damage.

Molloy had sent a text message to an associate in Auckland after the London bomb attacks on July 7, which killed 56 people including the four presumed bombers, denouncing Muslims and calling for retaliation. He and Baumgarten attacked mosques and Islamic cultural centres between July 8 and 10, smashing windows and spraying “RIP London” on the outside walls.

Judge Thomas Everitt described the attacks as “outrageous desecration of religious buildings, motivated by racial hatred and corrupted politics”.

Baumgarten’s lawyer Panama Leauanae said his client was distressed by the London bomb attacks. “He was wanting to make a statement that those people’s lives lost weren’t going to be forgotten,” the attorney said. Molloy’s father Paul stood up in court and pleaded for leniency.

“Jason is remorseful and he has acknowledged he has made a big mistake,” Molloy said. afp
    http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...11-2005_pg4_10
    So now NZ is also getting frustrated?

What is the scene like in NZ on this question?

It looks so peaceful and adventurous a country in the National Geographic and Discovery channel.

But I reckon this are on the change.

Maybe Parihaka could comment and educate us on the religion and racial equations in NZ.

I have read that an Indian born NZder was elected a Mayor and that too a woman!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Originally posted by Ray
    So now NZ is also getting frustrated?

What is the scene like in NZ on this question?

It looks so peaceful and adventurous a country in the National Geographic and Discovery channel.

But I reckon this are on the change.

Maybe Parihaka could comment and educate us on the religion and racial equations in NZ.

I have read that an Indian born NZder was elected a Mayor and that too a woman!
    The two men concerned were both members of the National Front, much the same as the national front in England. Along with this there was a case of pork being sent in the mail along with threatening messages to Muslim members of our community (in this case Somalian). The person responsible for this was also caught and prosecuted. As far as I'm aware these were the only two overt actions against our Moslem community.
    As an aside we have a political party called New Zealand first that came to prominence during the large Asian (SE Asia) immigration of the early to mid nineties. This party campaigned to halt this immigration claiming that it was upsetting the 'natural balance' of New Zealand. Interestingly it was lead by a Maori and gained about 10% of the vote. Since it was at the time primarily a one issue party you can extrapolate that about 10% of our population consider 'race/ethnicity/religion' issues a problem.
    The major race issue in NZ at the moment is that between Maori and Pakeha. The extremist view in Maoridom is that all Pakeha are 'guests' in the country and shouldn't have the same rights as Maori. This is an issue we're currently working through and it would take a dissertation to explain fully.
    The mayor you are refering to is Sukki Turner, married to Glen Turner the cricketer (they met in India) and she was Mayor of Dunedin for about 12 years. Dunedin was the settlement area of the Scots migrations in the 1800's and maintains its Scottish traditions to this day.
    Another aside is that we do not call Indians 'Asians' we call them Indians. Asians to us are generally only those from southeast Asia & Thailand and even then they are usually refered to as being from their specific country i.e. Thai or Malaysian etc. Chinese we have always refered to as Chinese. It's always confusing for me to hear someone refering to 'Asians' because it's like refering to someone as being from 'the northern hemisphere' or 'earth' LOL. Political correctness and racism has always been here but fortunately for us our general population very much adheres to the 'live and let live' philosophy. As long as people work hard and abide by the laws of the country then everythings fine. We have a very high opinion of Chinese and Indians here because of the aformentioned attributes but less so of Iraqiis and Iranians as an example because they get in a lot of trouble with the police for violence and rape, but personally I think this will sort itself out as they learn to chill out and their kids will help as they get the kiwi attitude from school. The next generation should be fine.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Stand by Parihaka.

I am becoming a citizen of NZ.

The National Geographic and the Discovery Channel has made me smitten with NZ. So scenic, so beautiful and so isolatedly calm! I hate crowds.

How does one become so and what can a retired military man do in NZ to earn his bread?

Can't take on the usual job - taxi driver - ego!

There is another problem. I have a near British accent and I can't stand the Australian English accent. Horrid, to be precise!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
        Stand by Parihaka.

I am becoming a citizen of NZ.
        Well, we'll be delighted to have you Sir :)
        The National Geographic and the Discovery Channel has made me smitten with NZ. So scenic, so beautiful and so isolatedly calm! I hate crowds.
        No problem, we're about the same size as Britain and Ireland combined (or roughly California) with only four million people, so plenty of room. However roughly half of our land mass is national or world park but there is still room to move.
        How does one become so and what can a retired military man do in NZ to earn his bread?
        Just apply, I imagine you could make your bread as an author and international political commentator?

There is another problem. I have a near British accent and I can't stand the Australian English accent. Horrid, to be precise!
        Despite what englishmen will tell you the New Zealand and Australian accents are totally different and we think the Aussie accent is appalling as well. I mean "dreenking mei sicks pack buy tha pewl" I ask you
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
        X