Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPod is out of control now.

Baby, you can drive my iPod
    When it comes to the car stereo, Apple wants to stay in the driver's seat.
    By Owen Thomas, Business 2.0 online editor
    January 12, 2006: 10:20 AM EST

SAN FRANCISCO (Business 2.0) - What were the most expensive iPod accessories on display at this week's Macworld Expo?

They had to be the half-dozen cars parked in a corner of the cavernous Moscone Center, each plugged into one of Apple's tiny music players.

Less than two years after introducing its first partnership with an automaker (see timeline), Apple (Research) has made iPod integration the hottest new car option for 2006.

With Sunday's announcement that Chrysler (Research), Dodge, and Jeep vehicles will feature iPod connectors, 16 auto brands now offer accessories that let you plug your iPod into your car's audio system.

Apple estimates that 40 percent of cars sold in the U.S. this year will offer iPod integration.

Some iPod-ready autos put iPod-like playback controls right on the steering wheel or instrument panel, with the built-in stereo displaying the name of the current track.

Acura plans to let drivers command an iPod through a voice-recognition system. Simpler accessories offered by automakers broadcast the iPod's audio signal to a car's FM radio.

The "iPod tax"
    For automakers, this seamless integration comes at a cost. Apple exerts tight control over accessories for its music player through its "Made for iPod" licensing program. Dashboard integration with the iPod requires the ability to plug into the iPod's special dock connector -- and that, in turn, requires a license from Apple.

"Made for iPod" may be quite lucrative for Apple, with accessory makers reportedly paying 10 percent of the wholesale price of their wares for a license. Steve Jobs & co. could end up with a considerable revenue stream, then, given that iPod integration kits typically retail for $100 to $200. Some observers have dubbed the license charge an "iPod tax." Apple has said that the license helps reassure accessory makers that the technical specs of the iPod dock won't change, rendering their products obsolete.

How does Steve Jobs manage to have such influence over the proud auto chieftains of Detroit, Stuttgart, and Tokyo?

First of all, there's the runaway success of the iPod, with 42 million sold to date and 14 million sold in just the past three months. Sheer numbers have made the iPod a must-have auto accessory, and the iPod tax a small price to pay.

Telematics Research Group forecasts that by 2011, 28 million autos in the U.S. and 73 million autos worldwide will have iPod integration, up from just under a million last year.

Third-party options
    "iPod integration is still a cool feature," says Brian Moody, Road Test editor at Edmunds.com. "It's not yet expected." In three to five years, he says, it might become standard.

In the meantime, he expects most automakers will introduce audio-input jacks that let drivers plug any sort of MP3 player into the car stereo. (Audio inputs, while compatible with any player, don't let drivers use steering-wheel controls to control music playback or volume, or see the current track on the stereo display.)

For those looking to hook up an older car or a 2006 model that doesn't yet have an iPod kit, there are a host of third-party options.

The simplest include FM broadcasters and cassette adapters, which feed the iPod's audio output to the car stereo. The most advanced include displays for playing downloaded iPod videos, with inputs for multiple high-tech devices -- satellite and HD radio and DVD players as well as for the iPod. Alpine, Clarion, and Pioneer are some of the biggest firms in the iPod-auto accessory business.

iPod in your car
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

yep, the least expensive ipod car connector is $100
      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

The first computer I had was a Sinclair Spectrum, it had 48k (yes k) of memory. You could programme it using 'basic' but this soaked up a lot of memory LOL, so we used to write in hexadecimal and even binary.

My latest has 5.2 terrabytes of Raid protected storage.

And guess what? I still have some 100 or so 78's of my parents I used to play when I was a kid. I hand-cranked the old spring driven player the other day to show my daughter how sound works, and yes, the player is a leather covered 'portable' for taking with you on the boat when you travel........
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

You are too old...just kidding.

;)
          A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
            You are too old...just kidding.

;)
            Yeh thanks Jay. NOT.
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Ive heard rumor the Ipod can pick up Sirrius when used in a car with the power to the lighter. I dont own one so I cant test this rumor.

I have myself tested my truck stereo to see if it pics up Sirrius and lo and behold if you can scan 89.10 on the fm range within proximity of someone who has Sirrius (3/4 mile for me) its does pick it up. But once out of (3/4 mile) it falls flat on its face.
              I'm wonder if newer cars can hold the signal longer?
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                iPod is out of control now.
                Yeah, even my mom's got one of those car thngs to play your ipod on!

Comment

JUST KEEP PUSHING THE STOCK UP BUY BUY BUY
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88
                    Yeah, even my mom's got one of those car thngs to play your ipod on!
                    My mom is not sure what an iPod is. When I bought my mp3(I have a Creative) I was showing it to her and she stopped me, to clarify. She thought I was going to transfer all my CDs onto littler CDs and then this "gadget" would play the smaller CDs. :)
                    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

lol..that's funny, but i cant blame her.

even im taken aback at how small and efficient these things have become and are continuing to do so.

Comment

Working...
                      X